Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Upon what do you base that statement? Curious. Tesla is claiming 16% bump with those new cells.

16% more capacity by weight-of-the-pack. The new structural pack is not the same size nor weight of the existing one, so it's meaningless to multiple existing range * 1.16

Also that 16% included weight savings from front and rear mega-casts, half of which has already been put in place.

Finally, remember that "range" is an artificial construct in these cars. Model Y LR has a (recently updated) 82 KWH pack, but roughly 75 KWH of it is used to hit the range number with a hidden reserve at both ends for longevity and safety (and ability to still have close-to-new-range for life of the car). 4680's will likely ship with a wider safety margin initially, so the real wins from the pack may be a bit of weight savings, longer pack lifetime (way out in the hundreds of k miles) and maybe quicker charging in some conditions. 16% more range is NOT gonna just happen (and is not needed by Tesla right now as they have a massive backlog for the cars with no added range at all)

Upon what do you base that statement? Curious. Tesla is claiming 16% bump with those new cells.

Let’s dissect this a little. Tesla has never said the Y will be bumped 16 percent.
They have only said the battery could theoretically increase range that amount, and a wise assumption given the hyped approach to numbers they were using in the presentation would be that 16 percent is under the most optimal lab scenario possible. They were using a lot of apples vs oranges approaches to numbers in painting the 4680 in rosiest terms possible in that battery day show.

But, looping back to the main question, its widely believed they will use any increase in per-pound battery performance to reduce the size of the battery pack. The stated reason for making 4680s was to reduce cost. They’ve sold hundreds of thousands of MY’s now on order based on customer expectations of a given range. Tesla isn’t going to toss away millions in protential profits. They will reduce the size of the battery pack, give customers the range they ordered, or slightly more, and make money.

This is obviously an educated guess as opposed to stated fact, but we’ll know for sure in uh... two months? Three?

There is plenty of parking in that building for any new production. The outside is filty with all the dirt I can see them decding to leave what they can indoors . Its also possible that they failed something and have to make a change and just don't want to announce it.
Let’s be real. If there were 100s or even dozens of finished Model Ys inside that building pictures would leak. It’s not like 20 cars a day come off that line and then go park in an empty part of the building and no one thinks to snap a pic. The only logical explanation as it’s been since December when all this crap started is they aren’t producing anything meaningful. Test vehicles yes. But nothing more.

Besides. Think of all the carbon monoxide if they parked all those cars inside. 🤣😂

Reactions: advocate8
Let’s be real. If there were 100s or even dozens of finished Model Ys inside that building pictures would leak. It’s not like 20 cars a day come off that line and then go park in an empty part of the building and no one thinks to snap a pic. The only logical explanation as it’s been since December when all this crap started is they aren’t producing anything meaningful. Test vehicles yes. But nothing more.

Besides. Think of all the carbon monoxide if they parked all those cars inside. 🤣😂
Did you forget about the possible underground secret lair for car storage under the factory? They could easily store 10K plus cars there until needed. Rumor is that someone spotted a couple of Boring Company pick up trucks at a traffic light in Austin last December. 🤣

Did you forget about the possible underground secret lair for car storage under the factory? They could easily store 10K plus cars there until needed. Rumor is that someone spotted a couple of Boring Company pick up trucks at a traffic light in Austin last December. 🤣

Well that goes without saying.. The boreing company has created something they call The Hive.....
file.jpg

I take delivery next week with a MYP and called the 1-888 number today to confirm State registration and pushed the Rep for a “guess” on GigaAustin deliveries.
He said realistically Q3.
Just His guess and heresay, however seems about right to “torment” those who want to wait, as we all want the BEST now.

I also pushed him on whether a “significant” performance improvement would raise the price, he Concurred. He did say 10 more miles isn’t going to change anything.

Reactions: jleeusn
I take delivery next week with a MYP and called the 1-888 number today to confirm State registration and pushed the Rep for a “guess” on GigaAustin deliveries.
He said realistically Q3.
Just His guess and heresay, however seems about right to “torment” those who want to wait, as we all want the BEST now.

I also pushed him on whether a “significant” performance improvement would raise the price, he Concurred. He did say 10 more miles isn’t going to change anything.

We still don't know when they will be making MYP at Austin. So far we have only seen MYLR. Fremont MYP orders seem to have only a 30-40 day lag from order to EDD for the entire country so I think its possible they leave all MYP Production at Fremont until they make the change to Structural.

Austin could likely crank out more of the MYLR backlog if the only difference between cars are seat colors and paint. (until they get up to speed)

Wait and see what happnes, worse case you can just backout before delivery and then wait a few months and reorder to ensure a MYP from Austin.

I also just got my VIN for my Performance Model Y order, and it is a Freemont VIN. Whilst I am half disappointed, at the same time maybe there is a blessing in taking delivery of the 2170s batteries. Those batteries have proven themselves and we still dont know if there will be any defects or recalls down the road for the 4680s. Also, I would like to think that the Freemont Model Ys will be better built since they have been around the block for a while now. i suspect Austin may have some growing pains initially and quite frankly getting a Model Y from Austin initially may not be a good thing.
Also, getting the old batteries means you are getting the old "casting". Youtube the new casting and the structural 4680 batteries. With the new casting it will be harder to repair a Model Y once it is involved in an accident because of the single cast.
All this of course is just my humble opinion... I am by no means an expert.
I share your thoughts about all you said, they seem to have hit their stride with the Y builds in CA so hoping for a quality car. I'm certainly not going to delay delivery to wait on Austin. I'm excited to finally know it's getting closer to delivery day! I appreciate your comments.

Reactions: advocate8 and SWIPE
So, center console, glove box, door pockets?
No. This is likely an update based on new design. This doesn’t get updated unless there’s been a design change not a cosmetics change. Been saying for months folks need to chill on this whole big weight reduction story. Let it play out. This is likely the Austin change design change being reflected in the specs. Need to see it on a door panel for confirmation, but that won’t come until we see an Austin VIN. Getting close. Should see one in next 2-3 weeks at the latest.

People need to step off the ledge for the whole 400lb 15% range increase. It ain’t happening. This is likely the first bubble burst. I know people don’t like it but just like the whole early January stories it’s click bait. But time will tell… just as it has with the Dec/Jan shipping dates.

Reactions: advocate8
No. This is likely an update based on new design. This doesn’t get updated unless there’s been a design change not a cosmetics change. Been saying for months folks need to chill on this whole big weight reduction story. Let it play out. This is likely the Austin change design change being reflected in the specs. Need to see it on a door panel for confirmation, but that won’t come until we see an Austin VIN. Getting close. Should see one in next 2-3 weeks at the latest.

People need to step off the ledge for the whole 400lb 15% range increase. It ain’t happening. This is likely the first bubble burst. I know people don’t like it but just like the whole early January stories it’s click bait. But time will tell… just as it has with the Dec/Jan shipping dates.
The comment you replied to was regarding the increased storage, not decreased weight.

I doubt they are posting Austin specs before they are certified to make them. I noted earlier that the GVWR dropped for 2022 models so now they are updating the curb weight to match.

Reactions: cusetownusa