Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 18 pounds could be due to the LA battery swapped the LI battery , loss of a speaker
Fwiw, the images of the vehicle structure on Tesla.com still show the “old” non-structural battery pack design. The brakes and wheels on the MYP are heavier than the LR, so perhaps they are simply getting more granular with the specs while also updating to include changes such as the above components at the same time.

This whole process feels like a game of 21 questions…little pieces of information slowly being dripped out until we eventually see the entire picture. Keeps it interesting at least!

Last edited:
Fwiw, the images of the vehicle structure on Tesla.com still show the “old” non-structural battery pack design. The brakes and wheels on the MYP are heavier than the LR, so perhaps they are simply getting more granular with the specs while also updating to include changes such as the above components at the same time.

This whole process feels like a game of 21 questions…little pieces of information slowly being dripped out until we eventually see the entire picture. Keeps it interesting at least!
He is talking about the 12V battery underneath the frunk trim.

Reactions: jleeusn and rob968
Unless your in Texas don't expect a Model Y from Austin until Q2. These are going to show up at the end of Quarter Push and we know what happens in Fremont during that time.
Huh? It's likely people in Texas won't get Austin Ys... not even once things are near fully operational. To sell a Y in Texas they need to first ship it out of state, then back in. That will eventually change, but not until the state legislate votes to do so.

Unless it's cheaper to ship out of state and then back in, Texas will get Cali cars... or at least that's the consensus I've read.

I'd love to be wrong though!

Huh? It's likely people in Texas won't get Austin Ys... not even once things are near fully operational. To sell a Y in Texas they need to first ship it out of state, then back in. That will eventually change, but not until the state legislate votes to do so.

Unless it's cheaper to ship out of state and then back in, Texas will get Cali cars... or at least that's the consensus I've read.

I'd love to be wrong though!

Shipping from fremont 1k-1.7K miles is likely more expensive but regardless, the point is that these cars are likely not coming to the East coast until Q2 unless they start shipping this month . The cars go to the closest delivery points where delivery can happen before the Q closes

Shipping from fremont 1k-1.7K miles is likely more expensive but regardless, the point is that these cars are likely not coming to the East coast until Q2 unless they start shipping this month . The cars go to the closest delivery points where delivery can happen before the Q closes
If I were Tesla just to force the issue with Texas laws regarding in-state shipments I would continue sending them Fremont made Ys and ship Austin made Ys to other states. No point shipping out of state and bring it back in. Just keep driving in the same direction to other states. Want a Y made in your own state? Fix your regressive laws! It’s 2022. Let your citizens order from an in-state manufacturer and allow that in-state manufacturer deliver to customers directly without jumping through pointless hoops. (No I don’t seriously believe Tesla will do this. :) ).

If I were Tesla just to force the issue with Texas laws regarding in-state shipments I would continue sending them Fremont made Ys and ship Austin made Ys to other states.

You know these trucking companies are going to take the Texas shipment , park it in their yard and say they left and came back..... I mean why leave when you can get paid for doing nothing . :cool:

Or they catch up the MYP east coast/central backlog, switch to focusing on the west coast.... and us MYP from Austin to address new east coast orders as they are made....

I'm with you. I can't imagine a brand new factory that is still trying to tool up and using a new type of construction is going to be ready to deliver by March. Especially when the batteries are still being worked out. I hope everyone cancels, I just want my MYP.
I'm not suggesting Elon is the most reliable source, at least timing wise, but during the quarterly earnings call he said they'd be getting them into customer hands by the end of Q1.

Reactions: FOD11
If you look at Giga-China as a handy example, we should see very low production in the next few months (and I would imagine Tesla will ship them where it saves the most money, which will probably mean the southern US. Production won't be enough to assure anyone of a texas-made unit.

By second half of 2022, Texas should be ramping up, allowing Tesla the option to refit Fremont to match.

The end result is that for probably 6+ months Tesla ships a mix of model Y's before unifying on 4680's maybe end of year. Some folk will obsess over it, but a lot of customers won't know the difference and will not experience much change in the actual driving experience.

So do we have evidence of a single production Model Y having been produced in Austin yet?
Only if you believe Elon and pics of MYs on the Gigatexas production line. Perhaps a few hundred have been produced so far. However, as far as we know none have yet been shipped out for delivery to customers. Deliveries are not expected to start until after final federal "certification". This could be from EPA and/or NHTSA (Tesla hasn't said what specific certification they are waiting on). Note pre-production MYs were built starting back in Aug./Sept. and a Tesla VP reported in Oct. that testing was progressing well.

1644629406328.png

Last edited:
Only if you believe Elon and pics of MYs on the Gigatexas production line. Perhaps a few hundred have been produced so far. However, as far as we know none have yet been shipped out for delivery to customers. Deliveries are not expected to start until after final federal "certification". This could be from EPA and/or NHTSA (Tesla hasn't said what specific certification they are waiting on). Note pre-production MYs were built starting back in Aug./Sept. and a Tesla VP reported in Oct. that testing was progressing well.

View attachment 767943
Yeah, knew they had the production line up and running in a test state and that pre-production vehicles were rolling out, I just didn't think we had any hard confirmation that any 4680 MYs intended for customers had been produced.

As for final-certification - do we have any reason to believe that hasn't already been completed???

View attachment 767943
Those cars on the line are just sitting there. It’s a lot more likely to be a couple of dozen produced so far rather than a few hundred.

Reactions: jleeusn