Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For 60k, I would like to see a camera in the front grill and 360 view. I saw a camry with the front camera yesterday.
Fair enough. It is inexplicable why Tesla, the master of using cameras all around the car for FSD, having all or nearly all the hardware in place and surely the best software engineers in the industry, engineers at the pointy end of using car video, hasn’t pushed a 360-degree visualization into every car.

For 60k, I would like to see a camera in the front grill and 360 view. I saw a camry with the front camera yesterday.
This has been rumored to be coming in the 2023 model year.
Quote: It could also be used for other purposes like parking assist and even potentially a 360-degree birds-eye view.

There was another thread that discusses this here on TMC but wasn't able to find it. I think it was about Elon saying HW4 is coming in a year or so, last year.

Last edited:
This has been rumored to be coming in the 2023 model year.
Quote: It could also be used for other purposes like parking assist and even potentially a 360-degree birds-eye view.

There was another thread that discusses this here on TMC but wasn't able to find it. I think it was about Elon saying HW4 is coming in a year or so, last year.
It just shouldn’t be that hard. Practically every other car company seems to be able to do 360. Every last one of them less-sophisticated in the hardware and software involved.

My EDD changed today, from the last week in March, to the month of May. I now have the low possibility of getting an Austin made unit.

Didn't Tesla/Elon suggest that Austin should start production in April sometime? Or am I imagining that.

That said, I'll take a Fremont made model without hesitation.:)

My EDD changed today, from the last week in March, to the month of May. I now have the low possibility of getting an Austin made unit.

Didn't Tesla/Elon suggest that Austin should start production in April sometime? Or am I imagining that.

That said, I'll take a Fremont made model without hesitation.:)
Another hype beast on twitter has used production projections somehow to build a chart of likelihood of Austin delivery to eastern 2/3 of nation, by quarter. He claims zero percent Q1, which I buy, 42 percent in Q2, which I don’t. And notes your chances are (duh) higher late in Q2 vs early in Q2.

I talked to my SA today. He told me that Austin VINs won’t be released until Fremont is also installing the 4680 packs. He said it will all happen in unison. This makes sense but I have not hear of this before. He said his guess is end of May.
Sorry, I don’t believe Tesla would sit on a plant that would make them money to wait on Fremont. Would end up costing more to have it sit idle. And if that was the case, why didn’t they close Fremont already and have it ready with 4680s closer to the time Austin was ready to open

Sorry, I don’t believe Tesla would sit on a plant that would make them money to wait on Fremont. Would end up costing more to have it sit idle. And if that was the case, why didn’t they close Fremont already and have it ready with 4680s closer to the time Austin was ready to open
Don't worry it's just an SA talking out of the butt. Glad he wasn't talking to me because I would've called him on it.

I talked to my SA today. He told me that Austin VINs won’t be released until Fremont is also installing the 4680 packs. He said it will all happen in unison. This makes sense but I have not hear of this before. He said his guess is end of May.
he is wrong, and not even regular SA wrong, just laughably wrong. that would be, like, an 8-9 figure mistake on tesla's part.

Last edited:
Well, at least your SA said he 'guessed'.
That's the best that can be said of his statement.

Both Fremont and Austin will be making 4680-based MY v2.0 chassis.
Those chassis will not be restricted just to MYP or to just MYLR, they'll used be for all variants
NOTE: Tesla has incentive to do so - they save $$$ costs on the v2.0 and can make them faster.
Both factories will implement the new chassis build at roughly same the same time, but not exactly at the same time.

Fremont has had stacks of front megacasts sitting out in the open for months. They WILL be transitioning soon.
Austin is purportedly making all chassis 4680-based from it's start, and the batteries are coming as finished structural packs from Kato Road.
In fact, shipping containers for the packs can be seen thru the windows in early morning drone videos by Joe Tegtmeyer.
Austin is gearing up to make batteries - but they are not ready yet - it's all coming from Kato Road.

Nothing is confirmed until first deliveries from Austin are made and reviewed, and the new specs are published by Tesla from their re-certifications of the new build.
NOTE: It appears a truckload of 9 those new builds went out 2 weeks ago for certification.
Until those specs are published, all blogs are BS and this post is OPINION based on observations and Tesla statements over many months.

Last edited: