Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
EDDs for new orders surely will get worse... but yeah it doesn’t seem like it would affect current orders... except he’s on hold, right?
Don't think hold puts you to the end of the line, since they use OD or PC date or the Magic Eight ball (which likely won't say 'Last"). I've seen some suggest the best is to stay the course until a VIN is assigned, then Hold thinking you are back to on the verge of getting a VIN when you release (eliminates the Magic 8 Ball variable?).

At any rate, one thing is certain: Who the eff knows. 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: advocate8
EDDs for new orders surely will get worse... but yeah it doesn’t seem like it would affect current orders... except he’s on hold, right?
I released the hold. Says ‘TBD’ which will probably update tomorrow as it’s weekend. Let’s see…two scenarios:

1. Vin gets assigned prior to 4680 and I bite the bullet and accept a 2170 😬 or,

2. Vin gets assigned after we hear of 4680 officially and I either have to hold a slight bit longer or accept the 2170 if it’s now looking like Q3/Q4 for 4680. Cant wait that long.

All depends on timing of next vin match.

I released the hold. Says ‘TBD’ which will probably update tomorrow as it’s weekend. Let’s see…two scenarios:

1. Vin gets assigned prior to 4680 and I bite the bullet and accept a 2170 😬 or,

2. Vin gets assigned after we hear of 4680 officially and I either have to hold a slight bit longer or accept the 2170 if it’s now looking like Q3/Q4 for 4680. Cant wait that long.

All depends on timing of next vin match.
or this new standard AWD model gets all the 4680s and the current models continue on for an unspecified-by-tesla long time with 2170 until 4680 battery production ramp gets where it needs to be.
I dont think so, but there is plausible scenario laid out for that as a possibility on twitter right now.
I saw $5.20 gas last night, I’m going to take what I can get as quickly as I can get it.

They parked a ton more in Berlin waiting for government permission to begin making cars for sale. I wouldn’t read anything at all into those cars sitting outside Austin factory.
Supposedly waiting on EPA certification, if that one listed yesterday is not it. Possible they will have onsite deliveries at GigaFest. I can’t see them holding cars from Austin with GigaFest coming up, which is supposed to be an opening party

Is reducing the backlog the immediate goal? Or is capturing all segments of this market?
I dunno. they aren’t introducing the M2, so they can’t be THAT keenly focussed on filling more slots in the market. a 280-mile MY AWD isn’t going to be a $50k car even. $55k maybe? Its just not that much different in any major way from the y’s and 3’s they’re selling now.
Cutting the backlog of higher-profit cars opens the way to selling MORE higher profit cars. Introducing a whole new model, and a whole new silo of orders ... to sell slightly less expensive cars when they call sell all the LR and P they can make and then extra doesn’t make much sense. Until they get production ramped up enough that the backlog isn’t big at all and they then have the need to do something with excess production capacity.
Excess production capacity is not on the horizon until next year at soonest.

Last edited:
Guys…need a slap…I have my blue/black MYP order on hold waiting patiently for some sort of movement on 4680. Ordered mid Feb. However yest I went to my local Tesla SC around 4pm for my cousin who was doing his paperwork for his M3LR pickup next Wednesday. And lo and behold…I’ve never in my 6 yrs of Tesla ownership seen the sales area so packed! Liteallly there were 35-40 people all waiting for a chance to sit in a display MY or M3 and orders were flowing off the charts. There were also families sitting in the parking area or walking around various models waiting to get inside. Never seen this much excitement for teslas since model 3 and model Y first order day.

I went up to an experienced sales SC I’ve known for a few years now and he said ‘bro..it’s been like this for the last 10 days now…not just Saturday..every day is the same! It’s insane. Ever since gas prices rocketed up, everyone’s had enough’. I then told him about my MYP order and that my original EDD was in fact the 12th March next day, but I put it on hold last week.

He then said ‘listen I’ve known you quite a while bro so no sales bs…the EDD’s are about to get a lot worst. I checked in with my colleagues at various SC’s around Can and US and all are saying the same..it’s a madhouse for at least a 2 weeks straight. If you want to hold out for a 4680 that’s your choice man, but even now if you take your account off ‘hold’ status, it will be around May for delivery now..not even April. I suspect Perf Y is going to hit June any day now…LR going to hit 2023 of this keeps up as 80% of orders are LR’.

So he suggested I remove the hold, and see what happens. It will be after Austin Giga day April 7th anyway so will know more. I can always rehold if I still don’t hear anything abt 4680 or there are delays.

My first reason for holding out is the possibility of some higher range due to weight savings. That and future proofing any sort of enhancements to power for the 4680’s only while ‘legacy’ 2170’s are left out. That’s classic Tesla.

Should I release it? Again I have never seen sales so robust for Tesla…ever. And maybe I’m overthinking this 2170vs4680 thing but I still don’t want to rush into a 2170 due to what I saw. But my finger is itching to just get it over with and drive whatever comes…argh..
This validates the electric Vikings video claiming Tesla orders were up 100%.

Reactions: Destiny1701
I dunno. they aren’t introducing the M2, so they can’t be THAT keenly focussed on filling more slots in the market. a 280-mile MY AWD isn’t going to be a $50k car even. $55k maybe? Its just not that much different in any major way from the y’s and 3’s they’re selling now.
Cutting the backlog of higher-profit cars opens the way to selling MORE higher profit cars. Selling slightly less expensive cars when they call sell all the LR and P they can make and then extra doesn’t make much sense. Until they get production ramped up enough that the backlog isn’t big at all and they then have the need to do something with excess production capacity.
Excess production capacity is not on the horizon until next year at soonest.
If They aren’t ready to mass produce 4680, this seems to be the only logical
Solution. Completely different product and will require new orders to come in to get it.

If They aren’t ready to mass produce 4680, this seems to be the only logical
Solution. Completely different product and will require new orders to come in to get it.
that does make sense. it would be pretty disappointing to the folks here who have been expecting the 4680 to be a major performance enhancement, but could make a lot of sense from the view that 4680 is really supposed to be about lowering production costs.
The flip side is, just a few months -- 4? 6? into ramp-up they really would need to change over to making other versions in Austin.
This is a weird one. I def am not interested in a 280-mile EPA car, which would be much much less IRL. Unless it was, like, 1,000 lbs lighter which it won’t be.
Others of course would want it.

It does make a certain amount of sense that the Austin Y’s would have a lower range (ie use fewer cells). It certainly solves the problem of people wanting to cancel orders to switch over.

The bigger question for me is when will Fremont switch over to front castings and whatever other upgrades the Austin Y has? I don’t care about 4680, but I’d really like the stiffer frame, door panel, and whatever else they’re switching up.

Reactions: GSP
Cant wait any longer going to order Blue with Black no other extras today and will hold till 4680 is deliverable. Before you ask, I have experience of cars and the driving feel with 10% weight reduction and some increased torsional regidity and I could feel the difference. Also ultimately to keep up with competition they will need to make software updates to keep up with range and performance and I doubt that can be done with 2170 cars. Any fresh thoughts, oh, I do live in the east, ha

Reactions: Destiny1701
Cant wait any longer going to order Blue with Black no other extras today and will hold till 4680 is deliverable. Before you ask, I have experience of cars and the driving feel with 10% weight reduction and some increased torsional regidity and I could feel the difference. Also ultimately to keep up with competition they will need to make software updates to keep up with range and performance and I doubt that can be done with 2170 cars. Any fresh thoughts, oh, I do live in the east, ha
except it’s not going to be anything close to a 10 percent weight reduction or noticeable increase in stiffness.

Reactions: FloridaStateNe
It does make a certain amount of sense that the Austin Y’s would have a lower range (ie use fewer cells). It certainly solves the problem of people wanting to cancel orders to switch over.

The bigger question for me is when will Fremont switch over to front castings and whatever other upgrades the Austin Y has? I don’t care about 4680, but I’d really like the stiffer frame, door panel, and whatever else they’re switching up.
Another issue is Austin is supposedly for eastern US. So would a new standard-range AWD model not be sold in western states? or is it for all 50 and Canada as a temporary thing.

My bet is it's a niche product attempting to address the MY's ridiculous pricing. It adds complications to Tesla's product skew and likely extends EDDs but probably not a better time to add a product derivative than now with the Austin gigafactory opening.