Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh I understand Tesla's motivation for the changes is purely monetary than actually caring about poor old me wanting to take delivery of my car, but these holders keep on clogging up the order queue.

But there wouldn't be a monetary motivation for Tesla for these changes if it was only 100 people lets say doing this. It's enough though a minority for Tesla to do something about it.

It pencils out quite easily. Invest $50k in staff/engineering time to implement a policy the reduces line-camping by 1000 people (out of a line of 50k+). Save $2k to $5k per line-camper eliminated. Boom several million net profit on the operation.

I'm not expert in supply chain or economics but everyone is talking about how big the problem is delaying their orders/deliveries and bogging down the queue?

If someone who ordered a Tesla delays delivery for whatever reason, Doesn't Tesla just move onto or assign the exact build to the next person in line?
If so, how does that affect anything?

I'm not expert in supply chain or economics but everyone is talking about how big the problem is delaying their orders/deliveries and bogging down the queue?

If someone who ordered a Tesla delays delivery for whatever reason, Doesn't Tesla just move onto or assign the exact build to the next person in line?
I would think it also depends on where their system sends the person who delays.

Tesla sends out a automated text before you get assigned a vin to confirm or delay. You get shuffled back to the next delivery cycle.

I think it causes more problems for other people down the line. (more so if it is a redused delivery) If you have a couple months left on your EDD and you suddenly get an email saying your vin is at the SC and you have a 3 day window to pick it up it causes all kinds of issues for people who were waiting to prepare their finances or sell their car and they also may need to pass because they can't react with short notice.

Correct and I understand that part. What I'm saying is people who choose to postpone delivery isn't affecting or delaying anything or bogging the queue as Tesla would just reassign that build to the next person in line? Just trying to understand. Thanks!

Correct and I understand that part. What I'm saying is people who choose to postpone delivery isn't affecting or delaying anything or bogging the queue as Tesla would just reassign that build to the next person in line? Just trying to understand. Thanks!
Yep you are understanding it 100% right. if people want to refuse, let them refuse. I dont know why some people get all frazzled over somebody else refusing delivery. Someone else is getting their Tesla quicker, there is too much demand and too little supply, that's why the wait times are over 6 months. These guys have no idea how the logistics works in a multibillion dollar company. They are using mom and pop shop mentality to visualize the situation...but mostly they are just here bored waiting for their Tesla and want to rant on something...

It wastes Tesla's time babysitting the line campers, and it projects stale-cheaper-prices into the future vs being able to sell cars to ready-and-willing customers right here, right now at todays price. And finally it introduces more uncertainty into the wait list, since there is an unknown subset of people in line who won't actually take a car when it's their turn thus you cant accurately predict when people towards the rear of the line will get a car (Tesla is terrible at that themselves, so I don't think we can lay too much blame on the list campers)

Reactions: BGOwner
Oh have we entered the “hold” discussion again? How is it possible EVERY thread devolves into this each end of quarter? 😂😂

And as far as the silliness about Tesla submitting cars just for the LOLs. Seriously. Stop the nonsense. It wastes everyone’s time. #1 teslas problem is being too transparent and people getting mad when plans change. #2 Tesla has never played that game and has no incentive to start now. #3 stop trying to assume Tesla behaves like Apple. They are not the same companies.

Ultimatley I believe the whole reason some people are upset ( besides paying $14k more) is that they think that every person that holds or refuses delivery is reducing their chances of getting a car with a 4680 since it bumps them up in line.

Personally I just want my car so everyone please place their cars on hold for a month.

I expected it in FEB, March latest and now I am sitting at May/June and its pretty depressing...

Yep you are understanding it 100% right. if people want to refuse, let them refuse. I dont know why some people get all frazzled over somebody else refusing delivery. Someone else is getting their Tesla quicker, there is too much demand and too little supply, that's why the wait times are over 6 months. These guys have no idea how the logistics works in a multibillion dollar company. They are using mom and pop shop mentality to visualize the situation...but mostly they are just here bored waiting for their Tesla and want to rant on something...
Ok I figured as much LOL. I honestly just wasn't sure if there are other Easter egg factors I'm unaware of in the delayed wait times other than basic economics of supply and demand.

Ultimatley I believe the whole reason some people are upset ( besides paying $14k more) is that they think that every person that holds or refuses delivery is reducing their chances of getting a car with a 4680 since it bumps them up in line.

Personally I just want my car so everyone please place their cars on hold for a month.

I expected it in FEB, March latest and now I am sitting at May/June and its pretty depressing...
Yes my thoughts exactly.

Although a rare situation, I thought I'd share.

I ordered MYLR Oct 2021, ODD was Apr 2022. Was moving into a new house in Dec 2021, SA told me I can wait until I move in to complete the address portion on the order online. Entered that in Dec 2021 and then current EDD is June 26, 2022.

A friend ordered his the beginning of the same month I did and he currently just received his.

I realize the EDD fluctuate but could it be the miss information of the SA? Who knows but the moral of this is to complete the order asap with all info.

Ummm....

No not at least me. Matter of fact back when everyone holding for the tax credits got the, " release the hold or get cancelled" email the frustration was we the people just wanting the dang car got pushed back in the queue since the holders that were releasing were put in the front. If the holders were put in the back of the line once released, there would be no frustration.

Last edited:
Anyone think it’s an AWD LFP 4680? That would account for the extra weight? Has Tesla ever publicized 4680 will only be NCA?? I don’t think they have.

I can see the reasoning - use the cheaper chemistry in 4680 cells to get a pretty-decent standard range pack.

But so far, all LFP offerings have been using prismatic packaging (and in China as far as I know). No known examples of LFP chemistry in cylindrical Tesla cell formats. I'm sure it could be done, but the tradition is that Tesla goes for max-range-best-chemistry in cylinders, and then offers much lower power density but cheaper LFP style things in flat packs (I think LFP lends itself to that format).

Ummm....

No not at least me. Matter of fact back when everyone holding for the tax credits got the, " release the hold or get cancelled" email the frustration was we the people just wanting the dang car got pushed back in the queue since the holders that were releasing were put in the front. If the holders were put in the back of the line once released, there would be no frustration.
This. My date was February-March until that happened, and now I’m maybe in Q2? So, if not for that I’d probably have a car by now.