Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update:

I talked to 3 different Tesla employees this morning and was told 3 different things.

1. Tesla phone line #1
-I can reject this VIN and put car on hold for 14 or 30 days (he was not sure)
-I am not allowed to receive an Austin 4680 vehicle. If I want a chance at an Austin MYP, I have to cancel my current order and place a new order to even have a chance. This does not seem right, but he told me management has been forcing this for all Model Y orders.

2. Local Tesla Service Advisor
-Finally reached out to me after complaining for days.
-I can reject this VIN and put car on hold until 4/2
-Told me that I would be put in the back of the line after 4/2 and should receive car in June (Current EDD for new MYP)
-When asked about 4680, he told me that Austin cars will not be available until end of the year and even if he had more information he is "not allowed" to tell me

3. Tesla phone line #2
-Told me that my order will be auto cancelled if I reject this VIN. Apparently this is already my 2nd VIN? After checking further, she told me that I was assigned a F397685 VIN which was automatically retracted by Tesla. I had no clue this had happened until today.
-Then she told me that she can actually put my car on hold for 30 days, but I will have to take the next VIN available.
-I asked her to send me some kind confirmation that my order is actually on hold for "30 days". She told me she can text it to me then hung up. No texts, yet.

TLDR: idk wtf is happening.

If you want to try something, then change your MYP to a MYLR. You will be stuck at the end or near the end of the line but at least a 5-6 months out given you are coming from a P.

Then in 5 months move it back to a MYP. Now there is always the chance that Tesla takes this option to respec away so there is some risk.

I mean it sounds like you're just making it more difficult on yourself by setting your expectations too high for a 4680 MYP (which won't be happening for the next few months at least, if you're keeping up with Giga Austin news). ALL 3 options you just mentioned gave you the option to put the car on hold but it appears you were just looking for a different answer. You ordered in December and during that time from what I remember it was a Feb-Mar EDD. Just put the car on hold for 30 days, which is what Tesla is offering you, case closed. You are making it more complex for yourself and blaming Tesla
If you read my first post, the main reason I'm putting my car on hold is because I want to sell my current car first. 4680 would just be a plus. Regardless of what my reason is for wanting to put a hold, I should not be given different answers every time I talk to someone new at Tesla. So no, I'm not making this more difficult on myself by setting my expectations too high for a 4680 MYP.

If you read my first post, the main reason I'm putting my car on hold is because I want to sell my current car first. 4680 would just be a plus. Regardless of what my reason is for wanting to put a hold, I should not be given different answers every time I talk to someone new at Tesla. So no, I'm not making this more difficult on myself by setting my expectations too high for a 4680 MYP.
But you're blaming Tesla and contradicting your statement, when you knew when your EDD delivery date was but now you're complaining that you want to sell your car which you should have done or known when to sell it by given you had an EDD date of March and now you're just scrambling. Just trying to prove a point that this is not Tesla's fault, it's more so you not being prepared to take delivery, thats all

You can have your car sold in 2-3 days with a check in hand in less than 7. Carvana, Shift, Vroom, can all do this. All of this can happen before your car is delivered and you have to pay.

If you are just trying to hold until you can do this, then take the 30 day hold and move on. As others have said, you will not get a 4680 MYP from Austin. All signs are pointing towards issues with 4680 production and maybe even a different chemistry. And performance vehicles will be better with 2170 vs 4680 (better cooling). It wouldn't surprise me if Austin in only AWD/AWD LR and MYP is Fremont. One line dedicated to MYP in Fremont and in Austin the only difference is which battery is installed (LFP vs NCA/M). No switching wiring harnesses and motors or anything. Keeps costs down and production flowing smoothly.

But you're blaming Tesla and contradicting your statement, when you knew when your EDD delivery date was but now you're complaining that you want to sell your car which you should have done or known when to sell it by given you had an EDD date of March and now you're just scrambling. Just trying to prove a point that this is not Tesla's fault, it's more so you not being prepared to take delivery, thats all
Just to provide more info.
When placing my order back on 12/29, I was told by my SA that I can delay my delivery up to a year.
I understand that Tesla's policy changed earlier this year so I visited Tesla again to get an update. I was told the hold will not last a year, but they will allow me to hold until June/July. So I planned to sell my car around May, then I got the VIN this week and am being told that I could get my final VIN and car as soon as early April.

You're saying I should've know all this and sold my car already, but I am just finding this out today. I think you are missing the point here. My complaint is that every time I talk to Tesla I am given different information. I'm okay with policies changing, but every employee I talk to should not be giving me different information. Right now I don't know if my hold is until 4/2 or end of April. I also don't know if I will receive my car soon after hold is released or be placed at the back of the line.

Reactions: Horty4
When placing my order back on 12/29, I was told by my SA that I can delay my delivery up to a year.
I understand that Tesla's policy changed earlier this year so I visited Tesla again to get an update. I was told the hold will not last a year, but they will allow me to hold until June/July. So I planned to sell my car around May, then I got the VIN this week and am being told that I could get my final VIN and car as soon as early April.

You're saying I should've know all this and sold my car already, but I am just finding this out today. I think you are missing the point here. My complaint is that every time I talk to Tesla I am given different information. I'm okay with policies changing, but every employee I talk to should not be giving me different information. Right now I don't know if my hold is until 4/2 or end of April. I also don't know if I will receive my car soon after hold is released or be placed at the back of the line.
That changed way before December, you can only hold up to 30 days from my understanding. Anyone who follows Tesla and is familiar with their process knew that as of December. So yes you were misinformed, but you also assumed that you could take delivery a year later?? I can empathize that you get different answers from various sources (as they are not very well educated). You don't seem to be going through the right channels. You mentioned you had an SA, you should be only contacting them as they will guide you best OR call your local Tesla store (where assuming you would be taking delivery) for information. After your car comes off hold, assuming you put it on hold after 30 days you will be given an option to accept delivery. IF you don't accept the delivery you will be placed in the back of the line. I'm going based on what i've seen in the threads for a MY

Did you place your car on hold? If not, then don't be surprised when you get a VIN. Log into your account and click on your car. If there isn't a big blue button that says "I'm Ready" your car is not on hold and you will be assigned a VIN based on your spot in line. Just because someone says you "can" or are "allowed" doesn't mean you are on hold. If you are on hold, it should have an end date listed. You will also be notified prior to cancellation if you try to stay hold on longer. You have to be very specific with Tesla and confirm numerous times. You are doing the right thing by coming here but it seems like you haven't done much research on here because you are not the first to be in this situation and all the answers you seek as well as guidance are here.

SAs are unfortunately an unreliable source of information. Tesla updates information constantly and not every keeps up to date.

You can have your car sold in 2-3 days with a check in hand in less than 7. Carvana, Shift, Vroom, can all do this. All of this can happen before your car is delivered and you have to pay.

If you are just trying to hold until you can do this, then take the 30 day hold and move on. As others have said, you will not get a 4680 MYP from Austin. All signs are pointing towards issues with 4680 production and maybe even a different chemistry. And performance vehicles will be better with 2170 vs 4680 (better cooling). It wouldn't surprise me if Austin in only AWD/AWD LR and MYP is Fremont. One line dedicated to MYP in Fremont and in Austin the only difference is which battery is installed (LFP vs NCA/M). No switching wiring harnesses and motors or anything. Keeps costs down and production flowing smoothly.
I had good offers for other cars from those places, but not for my current car for some reason. I do have private sale offers, but once again, it's difficult to time the sale since my delivery could happen in 2 weeks or in 3 months. I'm okay with either, but would just like a heads up.
Did you place your car on hold? If not, then don't be surprised when you get a VIN. Log into your account and click on your car. If there isn't a big blue button that says "I'm Ready" your car is not on hold and you will be assigned a VIN based on your spot in line. Just because someone says you "can" or are "allowed" doesn't mean you are on hold. If you are on hold, it should have an end date listed. You will also be notified prior to cancellation if you try to stay hold on longer. You have to be very specific with Tesla and confirm numerous times. You are doing the right thing by coming here but it seems like you haven't done much research on here because you are not the first to be in this situation and all the answers you seek as well as guidance are here.

SAs are unfortunately an unreliable source of information. Tesla updates information constantly and not every keeps up to date.
I've requested to put my car on hold, but unfortunately received my VIN before my SA replied. I'm just trying to narrow down my new EDD, but as of now it is a 2-3 month window (April - June)

Reactions: Horty4
I had good offers for other cars from those places, but not for my current car for some reason. I do have private sale offers, but once again, it's difficult to time the sale since my delivery could happen in 2 weeks or in 3 months. I'm okay with either, but would just like a heads up.

I've requested to put my car on hold, but unfortunately received my VIN before my SA replied. I'm just trying to narrow down my new EDD, but as of now it is a 2-3 month window (April - June)
How are you planning to pay for the car? The easiest way to handle this is to change your order to financing once you get a VIN. Then once you take delivery, sell your current car and then you can apply the payment to your loan (or pay off entirely before your first monthly payment is due). It may cost you $500 or so in what amounts to loan origination fees but you don't have to worry about having all the cash up front if you need cash from your current car. This doesn't work for everyone but it can make it a little less worrisome if you don't want to be without a car.

The method to put car on hold is to release the vin and then put car on hold, which the SA should be able to do. Hope that helps

Reactions: preilly44
That changed way before December
It changed in November and only in earnest in early December when cancellation emails started going out in waves.

IF you don't accept the delivery you will be placed in the back of the line.
You aren't placed at the back of the line when you go on hold or reject delivery. Most people that go on hold after receiving a VIN get issued a new one within a week of their hold ending.

It changed in November and only in earnest in early December when cancellation emails started going out in waves.

You aren't placed at the back of the line when you go on hold or reject delivery. Most people that go on hold after receiving a VIN get issued a new one within a week of their hold ending.
This is also incorrect, releasing your VIN is one thing, but releasing your vin AND putting it on hold for 30 days will prevent you from getting a vin issued within a week.

• Disagree
That changed way before December, you can only hold up to 30 days from my understanding. Anyone who follows Tesla and is familiar with their process knew that as of December. So yes you were misinformed, but you also assumed that you could take delivery a year later?? I can empathize that you get different answers from various sources (as they are not very well educated). You don't seem to be going through the right channels. You mentioned you had an SA, you should be only contacting them as they will guide you best OR call your local Tesla store (where assuming you would be taking delivery) for information. After your car comes off hold, assuming you put it on hold after 30 days you will be given an option to accept delivery. IF you don't accept the delivery you will be placed in the back of the line. I'm going based on what i've seen in the threads for a MY
Yes, unfortunately I was misinformed when I placed the order. I did not plan to actually hold my delivery a year, but I also did not realize my hold would be as short a week. My SA did not respond to my texts and emails for awhile when I asked to be put on hold. I asked for a phone number for my Tesla store, but was told they don't have one. I did request a 30 day hold today, but like I've mentioned several times I have no clue if it is actually 30 days or only until 4/2 like my SA mentioned.

Got an update call from Tesla.
They called to say they don't know the hold duration, yet.
30 day request was sent to manager, but he could change that to any number of days.
They also could not confirm if I will be placed at the back of the line after the hold ends. I was told I could get it anytime between April and June.

So pretty much an update to tell me there were not updates lol.

Got an update call from Tesla.
They called to say they don't know the hold duration, yet.
30 day request was sent to manager, but he could change that to any number of days.
They also could not confirm if I will be placed at the back of the line after the hold ends. I was told I could get it anytime between April and June.

So pretty much an update to tell me there were not updates lol.
That's not how a hold works. There is a max time you can go on hold. Or you can request a hold for any amount of time less than that. It is a not a random amount that Tesla decides. However, there is no guarantee as to when you will get your car after your hold ends. It depends where you are in line (should be at the front since you have received VINs already) and where your location is in line relative to other delivery centers. It sounds like you aren't actually on hold but they are just rejecting a VIN and you are getting back in line.

In other words, when is the earliest you want a car? If it is in 2 weeks, then you tell Tesla you want to hold for 2 weeks. It sounds like you should receive a VIN within a couple weeks after coming off hold. And being in Kansas, it will be 7-10 days after you get a VIN before you can schedule delivery so that should allow you to sell your car in time. You don't go from getting a VIN to getting the car the next day if you are getting a fresh car from the factory. SAs should know this timeline and be telling you this. And yes, you will schedule a specific day and time to pick up the car and you will know this in advance so that should also help with selling your current car.

Have you checked your Tesla Accout page to see if it shows your order is on hold?

That's not how a hold works. There is a max time you can go on hold. Or you can request a hold for any amount of time less than that. It is a not a random amount that Tesla decides. However, there is no guarantee as to when you will get your car after your hold ends. It depends where you are in line (should be at the front since you have received VINs already) and where your location is in line relative to other delivery centers.

In other words, when is the earliest you want a car? If it is in 2 weeks, then you tell Tesla you want to hold for 2 weeks. It sounds like you should receive a VIN within a couple weeks after coming off hold. And being in Kansas, it will be 7-10 days after you get a VIN before you can schedule delivery so that should allow you to sell your car in time. You don't go from getting a VIN to getting the car the next day if you are getting a fresh car from the factory. SAs should know this timeline and be telling you this. And yes, you will schedule a specific day and time to pick up the car and you will know this in advance so that should also help with selling your current car.

Have you checked your Tesla Accout page to see if it shows your order is on hold?
Curious what the max time you can put a hold. So if I get a vin for my MYP in Late May/June I can say "Hey I want to request a hold until July as I will be in Cancun in June"? I would be ok with 30 days but just curious how much you can actually delay