Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
MYs leaving gigatexas today on car carriers (photo from Joe Tegtmeyer's drone flight today - there was a 2nd loaded carrier just round the corner from this one).)

View attachment 784857
Probably more pre-production ones with bad panel gaps like that one shot in wild and also headed for company use...
No way to know, though. It seems pretty clear that a few truckloads like this have been going out awhile... that VIN number appeared to be what, 500 and some in? And built in February... and meanwhile the stock outisde has risen and fallen several times.

Last edited:
Reactions: DrGriz
Saw that. Wonder if they are being sent to SC as demo cars and on 7th, Elon announces new SR AWD.
One interesting thing is most have 20-inch wheels. While vast majority we have seen piling up outside have been Geminis.
Regardless, I can absolutely guarantee Youtube and Twitter are going to be on fire with headlines like "Austin 4680 Customer Deliveries Starting!"

Saw that. Wonder if they are being sent to SC as demo cars and on 7th, Elon announces new SR AWD.
Given that Austin has already produced perhaps 1K MY's and no one can yet order a SR AWD, I really suspect these are MY LR vehicles. Perhaps some of these already produced MYs are the SR AWD models going to the SC locations around the USA as demo units, but since there are zero outstanding orders for this possible future model, my bet is the bulk of the MYs already produced at Austin are MY LR vehicles. I guess we may not get the real plans for Austin MY production until gigafest a couple of weeks from now.

Reactions: NYMY and JDL@h
Given that Austin has already produced perhaps 1K MY's and no one can yet order a SR AWD, I really suspect these are MY LR vehicles. Perhaps some of these already produced MYs are the SR AWD models going to the SC locations around the USA as demo units, but since there are zero outstanding orders for this possible future model, my bet is the bulk of the MYs already produced at Austin are MY LR vehicles. I guess we may not get the real plans for Austin MY production until gigafest a couple of weeks from now.
That is a view almost no one is taking right now. The fact that a vehicle was submitted to the EPA with a picture of an Austin VIN in the software with 280 mile range suggests that that is what is being produced at Austin. As was seen in Round Rock, Tesla is using a lot of these vehicles for in house purposes, not necessarily demo vehicles. Some are going to Tesla Energy, maybe some to mobile rangers. The best guess based on available data is that exactly 0 LR AWD and MYP have been produced at Austin. Maybe they will switch after running this 280 mile AWD variant to get started but I really doubt there are LR AWD being produced at Austin right now.

Where is anything about this that indicates an MYP?
That’s most likely to be standard range plus certified for Austin.
As to the cars on the transport truck, no doubt someone got overexcited about the 20-inch wheels on a few of them and mistook for 21-inch. Those prob SR-plus Austin also.
Oh they are MYP with removed red calipers and smaller wheels fitted just to get me to order one. I think that MYP buyers are screwed amongst them trusting the spoof that we will get 4689 structured pack with all the attendant advantages. Just hope I will be proved wrong, if not the competition will be over 300 miles and under 3.5 before we know it. My view is this is a $250 bet so who really cares in the grand scheme of things.

Good question. But why would they make a new less expensive MY when they have a years worth of backlog and getting people to buy software for 12k to skip the line?
Because they like the backlog and have an entire factory coming online so having it produce the same vehicles for the same market means supply goes up and demand goes down which means price goes down. In a perfect economic world.