Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which is why Tesla will likely avoid LR Y 4680 production at Austin until two things happen.

1) They have enough 4680 supply for CT and Semi
2) Fremont switches to 4680 LR Y

Therefore, point #1 becomes Tesla needs enough 4680 cells for CT, Semi and all LR MY production at Austin and Fremont. The likelihood of this happening within the next 2 years is 0. Conservatively you are talking about 400,000 MY a year when both factories are online. That’s 340 million 4680 cells or 1 million per day. Just for MY.

rather OT for this thread, I don't recall if they made mention of Cybertruck having structural pack or not? I don't think so, but so much has changed.
I'm guessing the new found volume from Austin is mostly Y-LR with 2170's, which I'm happy with. The more practice they get making those before they make mine, the better :D
Don’t think you’ll be able to push your order for 2 years if you are waiting for 4680 LR. I am also guessing the 4680 MY AWD will go the way of the 2170 SR MY. They will or already have stopped production and switched to 100% 2170 MY at Austin and have started stockpiling 4680 for CT.

rather OT for this thread, I don't recall if they made mention of Cybertruck having structural pack or not? I don't think so, but so much has changed.
I'm guessing the new found volume from Austin is mostly Y-LR with 2170's, which I'm happy with. The more practice they get making those before they make mine, the better :D

I wouldn't underestimate Tesla's ability to further delay 4680 production ramp-up. :)

It would make sense to use the hefty 4680's structural strength in the CT otherwise it's a lot of added weight for little gain. Tesla should've optimized 4680 metal thickness etc for structural benefits whether used in commuter car, CT, or semi.

I wouldn't underestimate Tesla's ability to further delay 4680 production ramp-up. :)

It would make sense to use the hefty 4680's structural strength in the CT otherwise it's a lot of added weight for little gain. Tesla should've optimized 4680 metal thickness etc for structural benefits whether used in commuter car, CT, or semi.

The thing to note here is that Tesla has not opened up the MY AWD 4680 for order . You order a MYLR and then they may give you an opportunity to get an AWD earlier (While supplies last) . My guess is that the current AWD is an temp solution to use the current 4680 battery production as it is. The batteries may not be ready for the CT or the Semi but they are fine for the AWD so they can tweak the batteries and sell the interim yeilds instead of scrapping them. I assume that they do not wany any backorder for any other vehicles utilizating the 4680's since all production will be dedicated to CT and Semi. At some point ( maybe when there is enough 4680 production for the YLR & YP ) these AWD+ vehicle may just dissapear.

Don’t think you’ll be able to push your order for 2 years if you are waiting for 4680 LR. I am also guessing the 4680 MY AWD will go the way of the 2170 SR MY. They will or already have stopped production and switched to 100% 2170 MY at Austin and have started stockpiling 4680 for CT.
I'm not thinking about a 4860LR, I was thinking more along the lines of Austin getting good at making the regular 2170LR ;)
Has anyone seen any confirmation of differences between Fremont and Austin 2170LR's ??

I'm not thinking about a 4860LR, I was thinking more along the lines of Austin getting good at making the regular 2170LR ;)
Has anyone seen any confirmation of differences between Fremont and Austin 2170LR's ??
I have reached out to a couple of the members here who posted about getting LR MY from Austin EOQ2 about checking for front castings. You can see pictures here that show where the part sticker is inside one of the front wheel wells.

• Informative
Reactions: Twiglett
It wouldn't shock me one bit if we never see 4680 in the current gen LR or P. As others have said, the amount of cells needed is ridiculously staggering and production on THOSE alone will take a few years.

Oh, it should totally happen long term - because of the high volume, the MYLR is where all the cost savings is for Tesla once it gets the 4680 design fully streamlined and optimized.

Reactions: KJD
It wouldn't shock me one bit if we never see 4680 in the current gen LR or P. As others have said, the amount of cells needed is ridiculously staggering and production on THOSE alone will take a few years.
Tesla will slowly figure out how to build the 4680 cells in high volume. They have invested too much in this process not to make it work.

Worst case is Tesla keeps fumbling along and Panasonic figures it out for them. Either way all good.

What’s funny is I took delivery of my MYP a month ago with 2170. From Fremont and since then I havnt looked back at any threads on 4680 vs 2170 lol. Prior to delivery, inwas just as involved and full of questions.

Honestly guys…just pick up the damn car and drive it lol! It’s awesome even as it is. What sort of battery or motors is irrelevant day to day.
It’s like wondering if you got the latest V6 engine with 298hp vs the outgoing 288. Or the gas mileage is now 32mpg vs 30. Lol 🤷🏽‍♂️
Just get in and drive it!

I wasted countless hours and days on this topic only to realize how much it made zero diff!

What’s funny is I took delivery of my MYP a month ago with 2170. From Fremont and since then I havnt looked back at any threads on 4680 vs 2170 lol. Prior to delivery, inwas just as involved and full of questions.

Honestly guys…just pick up the damn car and drive it lol! It’s awesome even as it is. What sort of battery or motors is irrelevant day to day.
It’s like wondering if you got the latest V6 engine with 298hp vs the outgoing 288. Or the gas mileage is now 32mpg vs 30. Lol 🤷🏽‍♂️

I wasted countless hours and days on this topic only to realize how much it made zero diff!
I got that mastered - stood in line and paid for a car I hadn't seen, the order time came and got to choose color and wheels.
This time, I'm holding out for the seats and options I want, delivery date be damned :D

4680 is a benefit to Tesla and not the consumer. The 2170 as been tried and tested.