Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y - Gigafactory Texas Production

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
does anyone know the weight capacity on this cargo cover/Parcel shelf?
from the MY Owners Manual is below - and you don't want much weight on this thing, because the object will become a missile in the case of hard braking

Parcel Shelf (if equipped)​

The parcel shelf covers the rear cargo and is useful when you want to conceal valuables, keep the sun away from groceries, or minimize noise from rustling objects. Simply push the shelf backward to fold it in, and pull the shelf forward to unfold it for use.

To remove, fold the back panel and lift the parcel shelf upward with your hand underneath the bottom of the shelf to disengage the tabs and magnets in the front corners. Then slide the parcel shelf out.

CAUTION
Do not place heavy objects on top of the parcel shelf.

Reactions: JDEWD250 and KJD
from the MY Owners Manual is below - and you don't want much weight on this thing, because the object will become a missile in the case of hard braking

Parcel Shelf (if equipped)​

The parcel shelf covers the rear cargo and is useful when you want to conceal valuables, keep the sun away from groceries, or minimize noise from rustling objects. Simply push the shelf backward to fold it in, and pull the shelf forward to unfold it for use.

To remove, fold the back panel and lift the parcel shelf upward with your hand underneath the bottom of the shelf to disengage the tabs and magnets in the front corners. Then slide the parcel shelf out.

CAUTION
Do not place heavy objects on top of the parcel shelf.
Thank you.

Interesting granted for me this would be the first thing I removed and tossed in the garage. Just doesn‘t make much sense. Dangerous to put anything on (shouldn’t be called a shelf), restricts capacity and the window is already black. What can you see through that glass anyway?
I think it will help with road noise and also keep the area that needs to be cold by the AC a lot smaller, living in sunny ass California I have my Ac on all the time in my current car, i’m sure it will be no different in the Tesla.

And the fact that nobody can see underneath it might be good for some people, I will have 5% tint on mine so nobody’s going to be able to see anything in my vehicle either way

I think it will help with road noise and also keep the area that needs to be cold by the AC a lot smaller, living in sunny ass California I have my Ac on all the time in my current car, i’m sure it will be no different in the Tesla.

And the fact that nobody can see underneath it might be good for some people, I will have 5% tint on mine so nobody’s going to be able to see anything in my vehicle either way
noise reduction could be a benefit.
there are threads here in which some people are sensiitve to a bit of boominess from the large hatchback cargo area. Most are not, but some do claim it.

Reactions: JDEWD250

Cold air settles and the cover is not air tight. It may slow down the cooling of that area but it won’t prevent it.

One thing I noticed is, Window glasses are slimmer in Austin made.

My fremont made Model Y has thicker glasses.
I believe I read that the glass for Austin is a new version that provides the same or better acoustic properties as the double-glazed window glass used at Fremont.
I think it was a short video feature on Teslerati or Electrek outlining Tesla glass development steps being taken.

Reactions: khurshidev
I see that Joe confirmed yesterday what we've thought for a while.
Two body types, one with floor for 2170 just like Fremont cars, the other sans floor for 4680 structural pack.
But still no answer and how the 4680 pack gets to 70k

Nice to have confirmation that they didn't make a 2170 "structural pack" - it's just the same 2170 pack and frame being built in Texas

I see that Joe confirmed yesterday what we've thought for a while.
Two body types, one with floor for 2170 just like Fremont cars, the other sans floor for 4680 structural pack.
But still no answer and how the 4680 pack gets to 70k
I don't think we see any serious changes to the MY lineup until SEMI and CT are shipping.
The demand on 4680 batteries for those are too great.
Once that's settled, the MY might get an XR (extended range) version added to the mix.
Meanwhile, demand for the MY continues unabaited and order backlogs aren't coming down yet.

Reactions: rhk109 and Twiglett
I don't think we see any serious changes to the MY lineup until SEMI and CT are shipping.
The demand on 4680 batteries for those are too great.
Once that's settled, the MY might get an XR (extended range) version added to the mix.
Meanwhile, demand for the MY continues unabaited and order backlogs aren't coming down yet.

Based on what we see in the MYAWD - it has a full size 4680 pack that simply doesn't even reach the range of the existing MYLR.

At best, if they get the 4680 pack better optimized, they will have the option to move the MYLR to the new technology which should save them on manufacturing and assembly costs. I don't see any path right now to a MYXLR without going to yet another completely new pack design with more cells which I don't think Tesla is motivated to do since they sell every MYLR they can make at the existing range and they need the cells for CT and Semi.

Based on what we see in the MYAWD - it has a full size 4680 pack that simply doesn't even reach the range of the existing MYLR.

At best, if they get the 4680 pack better optimized, they will have the option to move the MYLR to the new technology which should save them on manufacturing and assembly costs. I don't see any path right now to a MYXLR without going to yet another completely new pack design with more cells which I don't think Tesla is motivated to do since they sell every MYLR they can make at the existing range and they need the cells for CT and Semi.
that's not what I mean. According to the number of cells in the pack as reported by Munro, 70k is too small. So where did the rest of the power go.
Its either dummy cells or less power per cell or heaven forbid a software lock ;)
There's also the stacks of stored structural packs in GF Austin.
So many questions :cool:

Reactions: Yelobird
that's not what I mean. According to the number of cells in the pack as reported by Munro, 70k is too small. So where did the rest of the power go.
Its either dummy cells or less power per cell or heaven forbid a software lock ;)
There's also the stacks of stored structural packs in GF Austin.
So many questions :cool:

The answer seems to have to be that the 4680 cells don't yet perform to what was planned, and a full size 4680 MY pack only reaches ~70 KWh despite having a full set of cells.

The way they built the pack, it doesn't look easy to add cells.

So at best, if they get the per-cell density up, you arrive at a par-with-existing 80 KWh pack at some point in the future.

To get a meaningful XL pack, you'd need hundreds of more cells, which takes cells away from CT and Semi, adds weight, and doesn't seem logistically easy given what's in the structural pack and it's dimensions - maybe you can eliminate some of the foam padding on the lateral edges, but to make an XL worth creating you want a major jump in range, not a couple percent, and the added weight of more cells actually fights against increased range with each added cell.

Reactions: jsight