Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model y long rang verses performance model y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Try to find someone local to see if they’ll let you test drive their performance …perhaps they’d want to try to test out your LR. If you’re looking for an uptick in speed, performance is it. However, I’ve read that the improved suspension of the performance model has ppl say the difference is minimal between the 2 trims.

Reactions: Rforsee
For M3P vs M3LR the ride (and handling) difference is basically all in the wheels and tires. The suspensions feel almost identical, at least for October 2021 models I tested. Wheels are easily replaced.

Is that also true for MYP vs MYLR? Or is the MYP suspension harsher than MYLR even if you put equivalent wheels + tires on both? I never tested an MYP so I can't guess at that answer myself.

Try to find someone local to see if they’ll let you test drive their performance …perhaps they’d want to try to test out your LR. If you’re looking for an uptick in speed, performance is it. However, I’ve read that the improved suspension of the performance model has ppl say the difference is minimal between the 2 trims.
Thank you very much! That gives me hope. We get it tomorrow so I will be letting everyone know:)

Kyle Conner says that the difference in the 2022 M3 performance is huge over the prior suspension... but he also said that the new comfort level comes at the price of handling. Not sure if that applies to us in our Model Y variants.

Keith

Reactions: tm1v2
Kyle Conner says that the difference in the 2022 M3 performance is huge over the prior suspension... but he also said that the new comfort level comes at the price of handling. Not sure if that applies to us in our Model Y variants.

Keith
@Fourdoor That exactly matches my impressions from the 2021+ vs older Model 3 suspension comparisons I've read in these forums. Kyle seems very in tune with a car's handling and ride, I generally trust his commentary on such things.

Note while it sounds like Kyle was specifically comparing M3P vs M3P, from forum comparisons here the "Performance" part doesn't affect the suspension tuning much. Several reports from owners of older M3LR who upgraded to 2021+ M3P say the latter is much softer - smoother ride but worse handling.

Reactions: Fourdoor
@Fourdoor That exactly matches my impressions from the 2021+ vs older Model 3 suspension comparisons I've read in these forums. Kyle seems very in tune with a car's handling and ride, I generally trust his commentary on such things.

Note while it sounds like Kyle was specifically comparing M3P vs M3P, from forum comparisons here the "Performance" part doesn't affect the suspension tuning much. Several reports from owners of older M3LR who upgraded to 2021+ M3P say the latter is much softer - smoother ride but worse handling.

I wonder if the M3 got suspension changes before the MY? My MYP (2021) has pretty rough handling.

Keith

I wonder if the M3 got suspension changes before the MY? My MYP (2021) has pretty rough handling.

Keith
@Fourdoor I'm getting the impression that Tesla has similarly softened the Y suspension, but much more recently, probably in 2022 or maybe late 2021 at the earliest. More data points needed though from owners who had an older MY and upgraded.

I'll test drive an MYLR again when I have a chance (won't be soon though), to compare with my memory of a 2021-Q2 MYLR I tested last fall.

• Informative
Reactions: Fourdoor
My point is if it’s to jarring I will get a Model Y long range, I know how that drives because I have one now. I will just trade in my performance
FWIW, I switched my order from MYLR to MYP so I could get it delivered for this summer. My test drive before ordering was in A MYLR, and it was a firm, but acceptable, ride. I was concerned that the MYP wouldn’t pass the spousal approval test, so I bought a set of Geminis to swap if needed. So far, we’re having a blast cruising around the back roads, with a variety of pavement conditions. No complaints from my wife (except for the speed around the curves, but that’s on me, not the car.) I really can’t say that the MYP ride with the 21” is significantly different from my test drive in a MYLR. I still plan to put the Geminis on in 6 weeks, when I start my 240-mile round-trip commute to the Bay Area. For that, better efficiency with a marginally softer ride win out over handling.

Reactions: Rforsee and tm1v2
Trading in my wife’s 2021 long range model y for a performance model y mainly because we’re getting more for our model y than what we paid for it. I wanted another long range but didn’t want to wait that long. Question; is the ride going to be so harsh where she can tell a difference. I hope this wasn’t a mistake
It's subjective, no one else can tell how your wife feel.

Find one on Turo and let her drive couple of days.

It’s for my wife. She would pick comfort I would pick rims ,tires and performance/speed. My reason for the post was hoping somebody would tell me that the ride isn’t going to be to rough and bumpy and she will love it. Haha. I wanted to get her another long range but the wait was to long so I picked the next closest thing that was coming in sooner. So we will have the performance in a few days
You can get rid of most of the NVH issue by trading our your rims for a lower diameter wheel so that the tires have more sidewall.

My 2022 MYP is not "jarring" or "clunky" over broken concrete or crappy roads. It is a firm ride, but not harsh like some of my previous sports cars. It is compliant enough to be totally fine for daily driving, similar to other performance german cars we own. It is a 500+Hp performance vehicle on big 21" wheels and low-profile tires so obviously it won't be cushy. If you expect it to ride like a floaty Lexus sedan over imperfections in the road, you will not like it, this isn't what it is designed to be. If you expect it to ride like a BMW M series, it will be slightly more comfortable than that. If you expect it to ride like a POS dump truck as some people claim, you will be very happy to see it is NOTHING like that outside of internet folklore. Dallas has horrible roads in some areas. We don't mind it at all, my toddler loves it, and our baby sleeps in it just fine over busted-up concrete roads. No complaints.

My biggest concern with a wife driving it would be the MYP wheels and tires. It is extremely likely the uberturbine wheels will get curbed/damaged very quickly if she is not the cautious type. The car is fairly wide and the wheels are big and stick out slightly with ZERO protection for a mistake if you make a turn too tight in a drive-through or slam a giant pothole at speed. Other than the wait, you would probably be better off with the regular LR if she doesn't care about performance. LR is still really fast, just not slam your head into the headrest fast.

Last edited:
My biggest concern with a wife driving it would be the MYP wheels and tires. It is extremely likely the uberturbine wheels will get curbed/damaged very quickly if she is not the cautious type. .
Can we stop with this sexist nonsense about wives and driving? There is no exclusive Curb Club for women. Just go hunting around the forum and you'll find lots of non-wife people talking about curbing their wheels.

I curbed two Inductions. My wife curbed zero.

My 2022 MYP is not "jarring" or "clunky" over broken concrete or crappy roads. It is a firm ride, but not harsh like some of my previous sports cars. It is compliant enough to be totally fine for daily driving, similar to other performance german cars we own. It is a 500+Hp performance vehicle on big 21" wheels and low-profile tires so obviously it won't be cushy. If you expect it to ride like a floaty Lexus sedan over imperfections in the road, you will not like it, this isn't what it is designed to be. If you expect it to ride like a BMW M series, it will be slightly more comfortable than that. If you expect it to ride like a POS dump truck as some people claim, you will be very happy to see it is NOTHING like that outside of internet folklore. Dallas has horrible roads in some areas. We don't mind it at all, my toddler loves it, and our baby sleeps in it just fine over busted-up concrete roads. No complaints.

My biggest concern with a wife driving it would be the MYP wheels and tires. It is extremely likely the uberturbine wheels will get curbed/damaged very quickly if she is not the cautious type. The car is fairly wide and the wheels are big and stick out slightly with ZERO protection for a mistake if you make a turn too tight in a drive-through or slam a giant pothole at speed. Other than the wait, you would probably be better off with the regular LR if she doesn't care about performance. LR is still really fast, just not slam your head into the headrest fast.
Best description and details I’ve ever had. Thank you very much:) We picked up our myp yesterday and she can’t tell the difference between our long range and our new performance when it comes to the firmer ride difference. I was happy about that. I myself can tell a slight difference but not enough to care about. This was worth the price difference for sure. Also I’m going to get the Michelin all weather tires For it next month. Thanks again

Can we stop with this sexist nonsense about wives and driving? There is no exclusive Curb Club for women. Just go hunting around the forum and you'll find lots of non-wife people talking about curbing their wheels.

I curbed two Inductions. My wife curbed zero.
I’m sure he didn’t mean that. But his point of view is also mine. Just so happens all my 6 buddies have had our rims rashed or curbed by our wives over the years. Most recently my own wife on my 20” M3P rims a month ago. I won’t generalize to all women at all, but in our life it’s the running joke amongst the guys when we meet up lol. Ie. What the yearly budget for this combined? Lol. The wives take it in stride and laugh it off as they truly care about cars slightly less than a duck billed platypus. Aka they don’t give a rats arse and simply proceed with their hair appointments, spas, gym, outings as if nothing happened 😂
Gotts love em’!

So to help with this on MYP, I purchased 295/35/21’s for the rears and put the 275’s on the fronts. Provides extra sidewall protection given the stock oem 255/275 setup is way too stretched as it is. Ours came last month with Michelin AS anyway so bought the exact same tire in 295.

Added advantage is .5” of extra rubber front and back plus I run them at 39psi. Voila. Rides even better than stock 19” even :)
A7DDF934-790E-4441-B81E-2D6CF595074F.jpeg
358816A5-9527-47A1-B840-191D1C9162C1.jpeg
A61602FC-EDAE-492F-AEB8-4A6767F3D895.jpeg
E4DCE0B4-D382-4C1C-92F6-5810E95EFFC9.jpeg
2FA541B1-DA90-46BC-902A-1AD4991697B1.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m sure he didn’t mean that. But his point of view is also mine. Just so happens all my 6 buddies have had our rims rashed or curbed by our wives over the years. Most recently my own wife on my 20” M3P rims a month ago. I won’t generalize to all women at all, but in our life it’s the running joke amongst the guys when we meet up lol. Ie. What the yearly budget for this combined? Lol. The wives take it in stride and laugh it off as they truly care about cars slightly less than a duck billed platypus. Aka they don’t give a rats arse and simply proceed with their hair appointments, spas, gym, outings as if nothing happened 😂
Gotts love em’!

So to help with this on MYP, I purchased 295/35/21’s for the rears and put the 275’s on the fronts. Provides extra sidewall protection given the stock oem 255/275 setup is way too stretched as it is. Ours came last month with Michelin AS anyway so bought the exact same tire in 295.

Added advantage is .5” of extra rubber front and back plus I run them at 39psi. Voila. Rides even better than stock 19” even
Exactly. I did not mean it in some ridiculous way:rolleyes:. This is why it said “if she is not the cautious type”. Obviously there are both types, and he said it was for his wife. Although, I have the same experience as you, my wife and her friends toting kids around don't care at all about cars and will scrape a curb in a drive through without even worrying about it. This is why I gave my wife a 50 series tire on her car that sticks out way past the rim so she can accidentally hit stuff and not damage anything. Not saying men won't do it too, but most car enthusiasts are more cautious (you have to be with Uberturbines).

Once my Michelins wear out, I plan to do the same as you with the 295s. Yours looks much better and it adds a little rim protection for a minor curb scuff. I hate the stretched look with the wheel sticking out past the tire.