Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y LR built in Giga Austin!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Confirmed with my SA gallery location that it will be from Austin and I have vin but it has not been assigned yet as the car is being produced. Was told they were updated on the vehicle yesterday when I stopped in, that it will be a structural battery pack but with 2170 batteries. I was told the 4680 line isn’t up to the levels needed to make LR 4680. So still an Austin build and structural but not 4680. They were told that there will be a 700 car push for Texas out of Austin over a two day period for deliveries. They hope anyways. Active post on Facebook Tesla owners of central Texas Austin San Antonio group regarding this topic.

I think at this point, we have to assume that LR Austin cars are real. That said, the most interesting thing to me is what we are not seeing, which are MYPs. If they are simply transplanting the 2170s into the Austin line, then why omit the Performance? It's not like there is any special tooling that needs to be in place for the Performance versus the LR.
Fair question... especially since MYP demand has increased exponentially over the last 3-6 months.

I don't think they make the motors in Fremont or at any of the final assembly plants, they're probably built elsewhere and shipped in. But MYLR deliveries are 1 year out vs. a few months for MYP, so it would make sense to focus on MYLR production.
They do make motors at GigaTexas and GigaShanghai. GigaBerlin was behind and didn't have the motor production facility up and running last I saw.

Confirmed with my SA gallery location that it will be from Austin and I have vin but it has not been assigned yet as the car is being produced. Was told they were updated on the vehicle yesterday when I stopped in, that it will be a structural battery pack but with 2170 batteries. I was told the 4680 line isn’t up to the levels needed to make LR 4680. So still an Austin build and structural but not 4680. They were told that there will be a 700 car push for Texas out of Austin over a two day period for deliveries. They hope anyways. Active post on Facebook Tesla owners of central Texas Austin San Antonio group regarding this topic.
What specs did you order and when?

I'm interested to see what happens with the MYLR VIN's being generated by Austin. As a stockholder, I'm certainly hoping that they are now producing that model there. I guess my question is, how will we know what batteries the cars have, especially if the range is the same as the LR produced in Fremont? Do we just assume they are 2170's? I don't know that we can trust what a random SA says, as we all know that they don't necessarily have the latest information. They seem to be kept as much in the dark as we are by Tesla at times....

I joined almost a year before I got my car. I was interested in learning as much as I could about the car before I got it. Of course, I'm a car guy and joined after my first test drive. I didn't even order the car until January of 2021.
Not quite a year, here. Around when I placed the order. Tremendous amount of education prior to getting the car. There's lots of activity in the waiting room threads which should tell us how many people join prior to getting their car. It's a lot!

Reactions: DanDi58
It’s not a conspiracy if only one person is behind it, and these 10 brand new accounts (or whatever number we’re up to) are likely the product of a single individual having some fun.
Hmm this user and the Zen Garden person are both from places in California that begin with Santa and joined within a month of each other. Unless someone can prove otherwise I’m gonna assume this is the same person with multiple accounts.

That’s apparently a reasonable assumption for this forum.

• Funny
Reactions: SageBrush
Seven brand new accounts on this thread, plus the person that started the thread, all with MYLR from Austin. 🤔

Super excited…just received the VIN for my Model Y LR (AWD).
The delivery is scheduled for next week and it seems from the VIN that the MY LR (AWD) was built in Giga Austin!View attachment 819458

I also got a LR VIN today that indicates an Austin build. EDD shows June 28-July 1. I live in Austin and ordered in Oct. I was concerned they were trying to give me an AWD version, but my purchase agreement says it is long range.

I thought I’d jump in on this. I myself just got a call yesterday that I would be one of the first owners of a model y long range from Austin. I am in San Antonio and ordered the end of December. I too questioned if they were giving me a bait and switch for a standard range but I repeatedly asked if it was a long range and they said it is exactly what I ordered. Also asked if it had the new batteries and what the range was. They stated they were told it would be 4680 and have at least 330. Still waiting on my vin though. I did get offered about two weeks ago a standard range but would have to pay $500-1k more. I declined. Estimated delivery 6/28-7/7. Not sure how to get a picture posted here. Didn’t except iCloud link.

First time posting here, but I just got the call yesterday from my SA informing me that my Austin built MYLR will be ready for pickup next week! No VIN yet, should get it tomorrow I hope. I live near Austin, which probably helps.

That’s my car in the screenshot. I’ll pick it up next Tuesday

I also just opened an account today to post that I have a Model Y on order and had a delivery date of Sept-Nov. I got a Call from San Antonio Tesla on Tue along with a txt message "LVM about accelerated delivery due to EOQ Austin Model Y. Please confirm you are available last couple of days of the month and are prepared to insure and fund same day as match!" Also included the phone number and extension to call.
I called them and sure enough San Antonio is getting 40-60 MY LR built at Giga Austin. These are not the standard range MY that they have been trying to convince me to take early delivery of. The SA did not know what battery was in the car but they will let me know once the VIN is assigned in the next day or 2. I was told I cannot Trade in a vehicle for this purchase and I must take delivery on the 29th or 30th otherwise it will be offered to the next person in line. I placed my order in March

I got my MY LR VIN Today too, mine ends in the 4000 range and has the A for Austin. Delivery range is next week.

I just got a vin with the 11th digit an "A" so made in Texas. I accepted delivery on next Wednesday in Fort Worth. I didn't actually decode the vin before accepting delivery. My original order was 11-1-2021 for MYLR, they offered me a standard range which I declined, decided to wait for the long range. Everything in my order says long range - I will be pretty upset if Tesla tries to deliver me a standard range. I had not heard of any LR models being produced in Austin, but it appears a few people on this forum (I just joined) are getting MYLR made in Texas. I'm going to call Clear Fork Tesla tomorrow and try to confirm that the car is a MYLR. Never bought a car like this before so it is a bit confusing