Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y LR built in Giga Austin!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Attachments

• D107DDFD-5DE8-451D-9F04-3036B2925ABA.jpeg
    D107DDFD-5DE8-451D-9F04-3036B2925ABA.jpeg
    471.9 KB · Views: 168
  • 83D9DE5D-625F-47BE-99A4-F993FB37101D.jpeg
    83D9DE5D-625F-47BE-99A4-F993FB37101D.jpeg
    450 KB · Views: 126
This is awesome news. I've always been interested in an Austin built car. Mainly for the supposedly better paint. Has anybody done paint thickness & quality comparisons?

Hopefully, Austin building MYLR's now means with two factories cranking out the most popular version of the Model Y.. they can finally work on that backlog and bring the prices back down to realistic levels again by next year! Bring back the $60K MYP!!!

Reactions: Whatstreet
This is awesome news. I've always been interested in an Austin built car. Mainly for the supposedly better paint. Has anybody done paint thickness & quality comparisons?

Hopefully, Austin building MYLR's now means with two factories cranking out the most popular version of the Model Y.. they can finally work on that backlog and bring the prices back down to realistic levels again by next year! Bring back the $60K MYP!!!
Backlog....yes.....pricing....good luck;)

Prices will never come down. The floor has been raised

Someone posted close up pics of their black Austin Y on fb and the paint was horrendous. Swirls, scratches, and chips right off the truck. I think they were filing a complaint.

As for the price - we will never, ever see a 60k MYP again or anywhere close. I will bet my house, car and every possession on that for anyone that wants to bet.

Someone posted close up pics of their black Austin Y on fb and the paint was horrendous. Swirls, scratches, and chips right off the truck. I think they were filing a complaint.

As for the price - we will never, ever see a 60k MYP again or anywhere close. I will bet my house, car and every possession on that for anyone that wants to bet.
I’m picking up my black Austin made MYLR on tomorrow. Wouldn’t there be an option to deny receiving it? Isn’t there like an employee there who will be able to see obviously unacceptable problems and accommodate?

In short, what is the best course of action upon finding major issues upon delivery?

I’m picking up my black Austin made MYLR on tomorrow. Wouldn’t there be an option to deny receiving it? Isn’t there like an employee there who will be able to see obviously unacceptable problems and accommodate?

In short, what is the best course of action upon finding major issues upon delivery?

Usually you point things out right away and they will either try to rectify or provide a plan to rectify. Our first one I rejected due to paint damage that likely happened during transport or prep that necessitated repainting of the whole bumper - so I rejected it. Then had to wait 3 months for the next one. Only upside was the second one delivered is flawless compared to the first.

Would the swirls scratches chips be from the Austin factory or from a bad truck?

I am taking delivery tomorrow. I just stopped by and took a look at it. 3 out of my 4 doors and trunk are severely misaligned. Is this an easy fix at pickup or do I need to bring it into service/mobile tech. This is my second MYLR. Sold the first which was a dealer inventory. Little disheartening that I waited 7 months for this. I know Tesla has known quality issues and being a new factory I was afraid of this. Just didn’t want to wait till September/October. From what I can tell I do have the cargo cover, not sure about the magnetic armrest.

I am taking delivery tomorrow. I just stopped by and took a look at it. 3 out of my 4 doors and trunk are severely misaligned. Is this an easy fix at pickup or do I need to bring it into service/mobile tech. This is my second MYLR. Sold the first which was a dealer inventory. Little disheartening that I waited 7 months for this. I know Tesla has known quality issues and being a new factory I was afraid of this. Just didn’t want to wait till September/October. From what I can tell I do have the cargo cover, not sure about the magnetic armrest.
Doors and trunk/frunk lids are all adjustable but sometimes, if they are really misaligned, it can cause other alignment issues. Being that it is the end of the quarter, I suspect they will ask you to bring it back after July 1.

Ayo… I take delivery tomorrow and the delivery center is 5 mins from where I work. How do I locate my car? Do I just start looking for my vin or is the staff accommodating?

Mis-aligned doors and panels are extremely common on Tesla's so the good thing is that its mostly fixable. Depending on how bad the alignment is, you can easily do it yourself (torx bit, rubber mallet, and a youtube guide are all you need) or you will have to drop off the car for a day or two for them to fix it. The bad part is that many times, "fixing" the mis-aligned door or panel can lead to other issues like the door being harder to close or introducing wind/water leaks. So if the alignment isn't too bad, lots of Tesla owners will tell you to just accept it as "within spec".

Cargo cover should be obvious: open your hatch and either you see a cargo cover over the trunk area or not.

Magnetic armrest is also easy to tell: the old style has a little button you have to press to open up the armrest console while the magnetic one is obviously just a magnet.

Reactions: JDEWD250
Mis-aligned doors and panels are extremely common on Tesla's so the good thing is that its mostly fixable. Depending on how bad the alignment is, you can easily do it yourself (torx bit, rubber mallet, and a youtube guide are all you need) or you will have to drop off the car for a day or two for them to fix it. The bad part is that many times, "fixing" the mis-aligned door or panel can lead to other issues like the door being harder to close or introducing wind/water leaks. So if the alignment isn't too bad, lots of Tesla owners will tell you to just accept it as "within spec".

Cargo cover should be obvious: open your hatch and either you see a cargo cover over the trunk area or not.

Magnetic armrest is also easy to tell: the old style has a little button you have to press to open up the armrest console while the magnetic one is obviously just a magnet.
You know, the hope was that misaligned panels would be a thing of the past with mega castings...it's really disheartening to hear that they still cant get this right. I guess the issue is with the actual doors, headlights, frunk, and trunk pieces.....

You know, the hope was that misaligned panels would be a thing of the past with mega castings...it's really disheartening to hear that they still cant get this right. I guess the issue is with the actual doors, headlights, frunk, and trunk pieces.....
this could be driven by the pressure of meeting Q2 milestones, and settle quickly next month. But it does look like the people hoping Tesla would go above and beyond on QC for the first units were mistaken.

Curious why the casting would have anything to do with how the doors are mounted? Last I checked they are not screwed to the frame of the car.

• Funny
Reactions: KJD