Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y LR built in Giga Austin!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Super excited…just received the VIN for my Model Y LR (AWD).
The delivery is scheduled for next week and it seems from the VIN that the MY LR (AWD) was built in Giga Austin!View attachment 819458
With all the negativity some folks have expressed, I called Tesla again today and they reconfirmed that my vehicle delivery is for the MY Long Range (330 miles) as ordered by me - and they rechecked the MCO on their system and it is manufactured in Austin!
They were unable to confirm which battery was installed (2170 or 4680) in the vehicle.
Will post pics of the VIN and range when I get delivery.

Also, just saw this too…

I also just opened an account today to post that I have a Model Y on order and had a delivery date of Sept-Nov. I got a Call from San Antonio Tesla on Tue along with a txt message "LVM about accelerated delivery due to EOQ Austin Model Y. Please confirm you are available last couple of days of the month and are prepared to insure and fund same day as match!" Also included the phone number and extension to call.
I called them and sure enough San Antonio is getting 40-60 MY LR built at Giga Austin. These are not the standard range MY that they have been trying to convince me to take early delivery of. The SA did not know what battery was in the car but they will let me know once the VIN is assigned in the next day or 2. I was told I cannot Trade in a vehicle for this purchase and I must take delivery on the 29th or 30th otherwise it will be offered to the next person in line. I placed my order in March

• Informative
Reactions: SageBrush
I also just opened an account today to post that I have a Model Y on order and had a delivery date of Sept-Nov. I got a Call from San Antonio Tesla on Tue along with a txt message "LVM about accelerated delivery due to EOQ Austin Model Y. Please confirm you are available last couple of days of the month and are prepared to insure and fund same day as match!" Also included the phone number and extension to call.
I called them and sure enough San Antonio is getting 40-60 MY LR built at Giga Austin. These are not the standard range MY that they have been trying to convince me to take early delivery of. The SA did not know what battery was in the car but they will let me know once the VIN is assigned in the next day or 2. I was told I cannot Trade in a vehicle for this purchase and I must take delivery on the 29th or 30th otherwise it will be offered to the next person in line. I placed my order in March

So many freshly minted unicorn users....

I still have some faith that this story is true but these are 2170. I'm sure they are not 4680 and looks like one of our new members has confirmed that with Tesla. That makes this story more feasible. 4680 MYLR is not happening.

But why hasn't a single long-standing forum member from Texas with an outstanding order (there are lots on here) not have this same offer of the new Austin 2170 MYLR? That is the only thing that seems fishy to me...only brand new accounts?? Once I see an established member with one of these I'm on board. And happy as that means some backlog should come off the MYLR over the next few months and can help all of us get our cars a little bit sooner (or at least not have further and further EDD pushes).

Perhaps a little off topic, but this still relates to 4680 batteries in the MY.

I was considering getting the Acceleration Boost update on my 2022 MYLR (from Fremont with 2170 batteries) and didn't see it offered anymore in the Tesla App. I also checked my account online at tesla.com and didn't see it offered there either. Searched this forum and didn't see anything about it being no longer available.

Did a web search and found this article (and others) from today saying that Acceleration Boost has been removed from the App for Model Ys with 4680 batteries...

Tesla Got Rid of Costly Acceleration Boost...

I was going to start a topic about this since Acceleration Boost seemed gone for my MYLR as well. However, now when I again check my Tesla App the Acceleration Boost upgrade shows up again (maybe I somehow missed it before, or Tesla changed the App twice??).

So for now, it appears this just might apply for the MYSR from Austin with 4680 batteries. Maybe Tesla doesn't want it to be faster than a MYLR, or maybe there is a technical issue with getting enough extra power from the 4680 batteries to support the option?

The casting is still a major change though. Who in their right mind would take delivery of a Fremont LR if (and it’s a big IF) Austin is building a newer version?
anyone that thinks getting a vehicle from a mature manufacturing line is a better bet than the first offerings from the factory that Elon says is burning money like a furnace. Even if they relocate some of the workers from Fremont, I think we can presume those would be a minority, and if the components actually have changed, there is still some learning to take place.

quality control *can* be stronger at the start of a new line, but only to what they know to check against.

Hundreds, if not thousands of existing users here with LR orders and the only ones getting them from Austin are brand new user accounts? I for one hope it’s true, but it just seems shady.

The LR thread should be popping with Austin builds and it’s not…
IF Austin could produce hundreds if not thousands of vehicles at this point there wouldn’t be so many people on this site waiting on LR MYs. What’s more likely that Tesla, which is the worst communicating trillion dollar company in human history, made a rolling change without telling anyone; or that a half dozen people colluded to pull a fast one over on a random inconsequential online forum? To what end would they (or possibly one really motivated person) do that?

Reactions: Suns_PSD
Whay does it have to be half a dozen people ? Could be just 1 with multiple accounts
Sure, and every negative comment on the forum is made by some Tesla hater who is attempting to destroy its reputation one fan site at a time. This site has some of the most annoying users I’ve interacted with (probably because I don’t do politics). If you post something contrary to the prevailing opinion, or are negative about the vehicle in any way, you are summarily dismissed as a troll; when in fact the trolls are often the ones doing the dismissing. A handful of new accounts, all professing to be from TX, are claiming they’ve been told they’ll get LR MYs. If anyone has any proof that they are fake accounts or are lying please speak up; if not wait a week we’ll all find out together.

With a deposit from July 2020? Yeah sure. LOL

EDIT: Also the MVPA is dated 2021?
I should be getting a VIN I. The next month or so since my LR Y EDD is July 27 - Aug 31. I’m good with Fremont build since it seems likely based on what we’ve seen lately. I have to just let you know my deposit was July 2020 as well and it’s legit. I was one of those that put my reservation on hold a few times until we got the hate mail from Tesla telling us you can’t hold anymore or we’ll cancel your order lol. It worked out great due to all price hikes lately and the July 2020 price lock ;)

Reactions: arbitrage000
What’s more likely that Tesla, which is the worst communicating trillion dollar company in human history, made a rolling change without telling anyone; or that a half dozen people colluded to pull a fast one over on a random inconsequential online forum?

Well, I would agree with you somewhat, with the exception that TMC is fairly far from "some random inconsequential online forum". I am just a volunteer moderator, but TMC is likely one of the largest Tesla enthusiast sites in the world, and tends to be the first site that comes up when you google issues about teslas and your vehicle.

Couple that with the fact that there were definitely people here before that specifically lied about this for "some reason" and I get peoples hesitancy. I really dont care either way, personally. I hope its true, and frankly of all the stuff that I read in this thread, the report from @voxel (that people seemed to skip over, but I didnt miss it), lends the most credence to this.

We will all find out, and for most people it doesnt impact them at all. I doubt these are "the new batteries", even if they are coming from "the new factory", so /shrug.

Reactions: NYMY
Hope all this is true and Tesla Austin delivers to California also. I'm impatiently waiting for MyLR ordered in December 2021. Called SAs and visited store also to explore a possibility to get my car sooner. After so many changes in EDD I have almost lost my patience. Feeling helpless and this news (If its true) gives me some hope to get my car one day.