Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y makes hum noise all the time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see. Curious to see what their build date is. If indeed the engineers are aware then they should have rectified this issue on the factory line. Fingers crossed for everyone who has this issue and for future deliveries. I have one inbound by end of month. With this COVID delivery type I will want to make sure they turn the car on before I accept delivery.

Right, I'd be curious to know that too. Is there a way to understand that from the VIN number?

My understanding is they will not let you inside the car until you accept delivery. That’s what I was told when asking about inspecting the car.

I am not sure about that. When I got my Model Y in June, they let me inside the car alone to sign papers before getting out from the delivery place. If I only could notice the humming noise at that time, I wouldn't have signed the papers and I wouldn't have taken the car.

Reactions: K-Fresh
Yes. If the vin has the letter N instead of M it should mean it's a 2022 vin which were only created November 1st and after.

Super cool... found this tool, useful:

But doesn't give the exact date of production. Is there a way to know that from any VIN?

My understanding is they will not let you inside the car until you accept delivery. That’s what I was told when asking about inspecting the car.
I think it depends on the store. When I picked mine up, my paperwork was inside the car, so I was told to go ahead, get in the car, sign the paperwork, check out the car, etc. Then accept delivery on the app.

Reactions: K-Fresh and fablau
Super cool... found this tool, useful:

But doesn't give the exact date of production. Is there a way to know that from any VIN?
No, there is usually a sticker with the month/year, but the Sales Advisor has to provide an exact date.

Reactions: fablau
Took delivery of my MYLR on 10/30. The Tesla delivery day person got inside the car and turned it on for me. She allowed me to get inside the car and listen for the noise before accepting delivery. I didn’t hear it upon delivery, but heard it the next day. Now of course, I hear it all the time, but not when I’m driving it since the noise isn’t loud enough to hear over other noises. When the car is plugged in, it is constant.

Reactions: K-Fresh and fablau
Took delivery of my MYLR on 10/30. The Tesla delivery day person got inside the car and turned it on for me. She allowed me to get inside the car and listen for the noise before accepting delivery. I didn’t hear it upon delivery, but heard it the next day. Now of course, I hear it all the time, but not when I’m driving it since the noise isn’t loud enough to hear over other noises. When the car is plugged in, it is constant.

Oh dear, I am sorry about that. I am just wondering: is the noise there when the car is NOT plugged? This issue should be there no matter if the car is plugged or not plugged.

Oh dear, I am sorry about that. I am just wondering: is the noise there when the car is NOT plugged? This issue should be there no matter if the car is plugged or not plugged.
Yes, the noise is also there when not plugged in. It seems to sleep after a while. When the car is plugged in and charging, I believe the noise is constant. If plugged in and not charging, it stops eventually.

Yes, the noise is also there when not plugged in. It seems to sleep after a while. When the car is plugged in and charging, I believe the noise is constant. If plugged in and not charging, it stops eventually.

Thanks for clarifying. And yes, that's the same behavior I am experiencing. Be sure to sign our petition on modelyissue.com, hopefully, Telsa will fix it!

Best,
Fabrizio

Reactions: Everlast
No, I decided to wait until we have at least 100 people just to have more impact, but we can certainly decide to submit it even with just 62 people. I think that it'll be anyway wise to wait a few weeks before proceeding until we see all service center responses will settle with an unanimous result. Also, if the announced "software update fixing" it is actually going to happen.

But I am open to any feedback, thoughts, and ideas you may have guys. Nothing is written in stone, and we are all together on this ;)

I am looking forward for your November 2nd appointment's result!
I think you'd get more traction on this issue if you had the title of this thread include the Model 3. My guess is there are a lot more model 3 owners out there with this issue. I found an older thread you had on the Model 3's that for some reason stopped. Might want to get that updated.

I think you'd get more traction on this issue if you had the title of this thread include the Model 3. My guess is there are a lot more model 3 owners out there with this issue. I found an older thread you had on the Model 3's that for some reason stopped. Might want to get that updated.

Yes, I know, I see no way to change the thread title. When I opened this thread I thought the problem was affecting just my Model Y!!

sad news friends, had to deny myp today vin 308xxx..... the noise is there....... like the smallest bit smaller then my current myp.......

i asked to see if other myps there for deliveries have same issue... i got into 2 more model ys, and 1 of them had same bad noise... the other one had just a tiny bit less noise than the one i was going to pick up. So hopefully few weeks till the next one with at least smaller noise.....

i was going to pick it up, but it also had 4-5 in scratch on the windshield on the inside of the car... they tried to get it out for like an hour and nothing worked.... so that sealed the refusal... Im so sad, 3 cars checked today and all noisy.... and i am sure of it as just before leaving to the dealership i got into both of my y's to compare the noise, and i know when my ears are satisfied when there is no noise but its definitely there.

Reactions: fablau and K-Fresh
sad news friends, had to deny myp today vin 308xxx..... the noise is there....... like the smallest bit smaller then my current myp.......

i asked to see if other myps there for deliveries have same issue... i got into 2 more model ys, and 1 of them had same bad noise... the other one had just a tiny bit less noise than the one i was going to pick up. So hopefully few weeks till the next one with at least smaller noise.....

i was going to pick it up, but it also had 4-5 in scratch on the windshield on the inside of the car... they tried to get it out for like an hour and nothing worked.... so that sealed the refusal... Im so sad, 3 cars checked today and all noisy.... and i am sure of it as just before leaving to the dealership i got into both of my y's to compare the noise, and i know when my ears are satisfied when there is no noise but its definitely there.

I am so sorry my friend, that's just terrible!! How is that possible? Don't they realize people don't want those noisy cars??!! What did they say when you refused to pick the car? It seems to deal with dumbasses! Thanks for the update by the way ;)

Well that sucks. If Tesla keeps putting out noisy cars, the sound will really be normal. That’s a shame. Competition is on the way.

i asked the sales person, or whoever was taking care of delivery to get in in the car and listen to the noise, he says it doesn't bother him..... and he doesn't notice it.... This sux, it means all teslas now are noisy....................wow... competition cant come soon enough.....

i asked the sales person, or whoever was taking care of delivery to get in in the car and listen to the noise, he says it doesn't bother him..... and he doesn't notice it.... This sux, it means all teslas now are noisy....................wow... competition cant come soon enough.....

That's the BIG problem. They ignore the problem and want to dismiss it. Big trouble... and quite sad.