Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y, no blind spot warning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Problem is, it doesn't turn red unless you have Autopilot on. If your just driving you get nothing.. I mean the time you really need it is when your just driving normal.. If autopilot is on, I just assume it knows what to do or not do at that point ;)

not just autopilot when it’s preparing for lane change, use of the turn signal outside of autopilot would also show the red visual alerts, try it at a stoplight next to cars in the lane you’re signaling into

It is not just blind spot that doesn't work well, auto-park, auto-headlights, auto-wipers, summon, advanced summon, FSD, etc. are all barely passable when compared to the promised feature. Most are in perma beta. Take the auto-park for example, it was released 5 years ago, sucked then and sucks now. No updates at all. I wish Tesla would stop trying to add new features and would just get their old features perfected and out of beta. 5 years in beta is a joke. Just admit Tesla that you don't care about finishing certain features.

Tesla has the best drive train of any car, EV or otherwise, and the longest range. Everything else is silicon snake oil.

It is not just blind spot that doesn't work well, auto-park, auto-headlights, auto-wipers, summon, advanced summon, FSD, etc. are all barely passable when compared to the promised feature. Most are in perma beta. Take the auto-park for example, it was released 5 years ago, sucked then and sucks now. No updates at all. I wish Tesla would stop trying to add new features and would just get their old features perfected and out of beta. 5 years in beta is a joke. Just admit Tesla that you don't care about finishing certain features.

Tesla has the best drive train of any car, EV or otherwise, and the longest range. Everything else is silicon snake oil.

Very rare someone calls it like it is in this forum.

I agree with you. I had a rental prius that could auto park better than the 10k fsd tesla.

Agreed with your assertion on AP/FSD. Tesla is not the leader in that front. Simply go check out Waymo videos from real users on YouTube. Waymo is more advance and more confident in RoboTaxi. They are years ahead of Tesla’s camera systems when it comes to FSD. Tesla is only a leader in FSD using cameras, nothing else.

The problem with Waymo is that LiDAR system is expensive and can’t scale to mass production. It also look ridiculous on a car unless you are part of the tech robofleet.

Snake oil? I’m not so sure. It’s battery technology is definitely light years ahead with anyone else. It’s software tech ( OTA, software development, Car OS) is also above any others.... not to mention it’s energy plant business and etc....

Am I missing something here? Why spent 4 pages arguing about the blind spot. It's just a $6 feature. I use it all the time :). Btw, I also got a passenger blind spot cover too since it comes with 2 :)

https://www.amazon.com/Mirror-Blind...=blindspot&qid=1607933731&s=automotive&sr=1-3

Oh, for those who really miss the blind spot feature, I still have an old one since I recently upgrade with better blind spot features. $1 extra with a larger view, well worth it. Let me know if you need the blind spot feature I can send my old ones :)

J/K guys, I do think the blind spot is a gimmick, I have driven cars with a blind spot, my Lexus has a very good blind spot, but I've never used it. I always turn my head, getting used to it. It never bothers me to turn my head, I like it that way too. Technology is nice but sometimes is not necessary. For me, I rather Tesla focus on his battery technology than focus on the blind spot. We have stuck with the same battery problem for the last 40 years, density, fast charging, loss of capacity over time, heat, ect..., we have not solved them yet. Solid-state battery is looking good for now, but we really do need groundbreaking battery technology. Imo, whoever wins battery technology, will dominate EVs. I will switch to GM if it has a groud breaking battery. Who does not like 10mins full charge, 500 miles range, 1million miles of a battery lifetime :)

I do agree with some posts, buying a Tesla is not about luxury, you are buying battery and power and software technology. Software, charging infrastructure, and 0-60, those are features that set Tesla apart from the rest. I really don't know how people expect luxury and features with Tesla. I tested drive Audi E-tron before decided to get MY, e-tron is like 10 times more luxurious than the Tesla, has much more features. My wife loved it too. But when we decided to buy an EV, we bought MY. I don't need to give a reason, for now, you guys probably know why.

Last edited:
Reactions: richyrich
I was shocked to find that there is no blind spot warning on Model Y. So if you are driving and there is a car in your blind spot and you signal the turn, there is no warning, nothing, crickets! The setting for some blind spot warning is enabled in settings under auto-pilot, but I suspect this comes into play only if you are using auto-pilot.

For supposedly very safe car, its mind boggling there is no blind spot warning. What am I missing???

Reactions: Gy2020 and HeyEph
I have no idea what you are talking about. Our Model Y has amazing blind spot warnings.
Unless your Y is entirely different from all other Y.....

Perhaps taking your eyes off the road in peak traffic to look for the red vehicle icon in the center console is safer than a brief glance at the blinking light in the side mirror is better for you? Not for me and perhaps a lot of other people in this thread.

I my humble opinion poor design and execution by Tesla. A dangerous one if I may add.

Unless your Y is entirely different from all other Y.....

Perhaps taking your eyes off the road in peak traffic to look for the red vehicle icon in the center console is safer than a brief glance at the blinking light in the side mirror is better for you? Not for me and perhaps a lot of other people in this thread.

I my humble opinion poor design and execution by Tesla. A dangerous one if I may add.
I’m worried about hitting the car in front of me when I check my blind spot, not the car in the next lane. I find the center display works great and if the vehicle is red and your signal is on it beeps at you. Makes me happy. And if you’re using autopilot it won’t turn into that lane (and I use autopilot as much as possible)

If you attempt to turn into someone sitting in the blindspot, the vehicle will warn you (and nudge you back) once you get too close. You will also see it on the display. I personally would like a chime when I turn the blinker on if someone is there, but that isn't how it's designed. So yes, there is blind spot detection, it just doesn't work like most other manufacturer systems.
Clearly

Reactions: HeyEph and Gadget63
I went ahead and ordered the Hansshow wide angle mirrors for $75 shipped after using a coupon code I found on YouTube. I tried adjusting the mirrors per the instructions provided earlier in the thread, but the blindspot still exists AND I lose the ability to see the lane markings. With the wide angle mirrors, it looks like I'd be able to see both the lane markings and eliminate the blind spots as well. Once they arrive I'll let you all know how they work out.

Hansshow Mirrors: Wide angle side mirror glass for model 3/S/X/Y | Intelligentized Auto Parts | Hansshow

I went ahead and ordered the Hansshow wide angle mirrors for $75 shipped after using a coupon code I found on YouTube. I tried adjusting the mirrors per the instructions provided earlier in the thread, but the blindspot still exists AND I lose the ability to see the lane markings. With the wide angle mirrors, it looks like I'd be able to see both the lane markings and eliminate the blind spots as well. Once they arrive I'll let you all know how they work out.

Hansshow Mirrors: Wide angle side mirror glass for model 3/S/X/Y | Intelligentized Auto Parts | Hansshow
Why do you feel the need to see the lane marking in the side mirrors when you're going forward? The point of the side mirrors are to see vehicles on the sides of your car. I have setup my mirrors for my blind spots for decades (all cars with or without BSM) and never felt the need to see the lanes markings behind me. When you back up, the mirrors do move in and down so you can see the markings along the car to help you park.

Reactions: Gadget63