Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y, no blind spot warning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Theory: The “blind spot” feature is very reliant on the cameras for detecting cars (No bumper radar like other manufacturers). Prior to the most recent Autopilot releases, the stitching together of images from multiple cameras was less than stellar based on the jumping around of vehicles on the display. This impacts the cars environmental awareness and Tesla’s confidence in the system. They didn’t want people to rely on their blind spot system due to the occasional misidentification of vehicles. Therefore, no beep warning yet (a really easy feature to implement). I have a feeling we‘ll get an audio warning at some point.

As others have said, the solution is very easy. Just software upgrade to sound an alarm if it detects a lane change with a potential collision. Also having the appropriate side camera display when you hit the turn signal would be an easy addition. TESLA please do this! It's actually embarrassing that a Honda Pilot has better blind spot warnings.

I never change lanes without first checking my Blindspot. It's just something I learned when learning to drive. It's a drilled in habit for me.
Fully agreed on that

The blind spot warning in the mirror (Leaf) means that I get a pre-warning when looking into the mirror first, and the audio warning on using the indicator is also an additional warning. It's just an additional safety system and does not replace looking over your shoulder. So why does Tesla not do the audio warning?

BTW: I was very annoyed that my BMW did not do that either, it would vibrate the steering wheel but often that was unnoticeable.

I agree. No wonder they have to do software updates when they don't have basic stuff working right.

I am seriously considering returning my car, buffeting, loud inside, subpar finishing and interior combined with things like this and I am thinking this car is not worth the asking price. This is at most $35k car that is being sold at $60k.

Please let me know the make and model of the comparably equipped $35k car when you get it.

The Subaru’s entire drivetrain is inferior. It isn’t even in the same league as the Model 3. Good try.
I won't argue there but when I hear comparably equipped I think of the features and amenities of the vehicle, not the drivetrain. Otherwise you could claim a model 3 is better equipped than most vehicles under 60k due to drivetrain alone but that's simply not a fair comparison.

Reactions: Reeler and teko
I won't argue there but when I hear comparably equipped I think of the features and amenities of the vehicle, not the drivetrain. Otherwise you could claim a model 3 is better equipped than most vehicles under 60k due to drivetrain alone but that's simply not a fair comparison.
Well since the Subaru is an ICE car and the Tesla an EV, to compare drive trains is ridiculous. The Subaru drivetrain is quit good and reliable for an AWD ICE car. But Scooby24 is correct. The Subaru does have more features than a Tesla MY. (except FSD which is not reality yet anyway)

Subaru Forester touring models have all these features (aside from FSD) and more (heated steering wheel and blind spot monitors) for 35k.

I have owned 4 Subaru's, if you count my immediate family its 7. So very familiar with them. While I will say, Subaru's and really any car maker these day's has better quality control then Tesla. I wouldn't go as far to say the features or fit and finish, as in interior quality, or types of features are on par between a Subaru and Tesla. Go touch the door panels on the rear inside doors of a Subaru, rock hard, no soft materials in the back. For 15 years Subaru has used the same interior door handles on some of its cars. Lets not even go to the audio system or Nav systems... Don't get me wrong, not knocking Subaru's, great bang for your buck and they do last (As long as you don't have a late 2000's STI, those engines were junk). At the end of the day, quality of materials and features are not on par, no 35k dollar car matches Tesla imo.

I have owned 4 Subaru's, if you count my immediate family its 7. So very familiar with them. While I will say, Subaru's and really any car maker these day's has better quality control then Tesla. I wouldn't go as far to say the features or fit and finish, as in interior quality, or types of features are on par between a Subaru and Tesla. Go touch the door panels on the rear inside doors of a Subaru, rock hard, no soft materials in the back. For 15 years Subaru has used the same interior door handles on some of its cars. Lets not even go to the audio system or Nav systems... Don't get me wrong, not knocking Subaru's, great bang for your buck and they do last (As long as you don't have a late 2000's STI, those engines were junk). At the end of the day, quality of materials and features are not on par, no 35k dollar car matches Tesla imo.
I've had 9, with my current being an 18 Forester XT touring that I paid 33k for. The CVT is a disappointment but it has steering responsive headlamps, heated steering wheel, blind spot monitors, quite good safety system with eyesight, a quite fantastic sound system with Harmon Kardon and many other features. The Model Y is my next car and while I am looking forward to all it does have available, it would be a lie to say I wasn't disappointed at the prospect that I will not have some of the same features available that I currently have.

And of course I'm really not looking forward to having to worry about damaging my trim every time I close the door because the window rolls up too soon.

Have any of you folks view the YouTube videos created by Sandy Munro. He is the Engineer's Engineer and very accomplished at his job.
Listen and watch what he has to say about the Tesla Model Y. As. An. Engineer. He. Is. Very. Impressed. As am I.
There is so much more going on than the owner ever sees. This is a seriously over engineered automobile and I for one feel very lucky that it is manufactured during my lifetime. In fact it is an engineering marvel. Do you investigating and I think you will agree.
Tesla is 5 years or more ahead of the competition and it shows.
No matter how good the car is engineered, its the folks at the line that have to see that things are done right. A team effort they say.

Reactions: empiredown
How does the over engineering benefit when your Bluetooth fails to connect and unlock your car for you, or the door glass damages the trim when to close the door, or your hands are cold on the steering wheel without a warmer? It's great and all that the welds are consistent and that Tesla finally managed to figure how to cut waste out of the manufacturing process or adapt a continuous update approach...but these things benefit the OEM more so than the customer who has to deal with features that are missing or bugs continually getting worked out because the cars are continually changing.

Have any of you folks view the YouTube videos created by Sandy Munro. He is the Engineer's Engineer and very accomplished at his job.
Listen and watch what he has to say about the Tesla Model Y. As. An. Engineer. He. Is. Very. Impressed. As am I.
There is so much more going on than the owner ever sees. This is a seriously over engineered automobile and I for one feel very lucky that it is manufactured during my lifetime. In fact it is an engineering marvel. Do you investigating and I think you will agree.
Tesla is 5 years or more ahead of the competition and it shows.
No matter how good the car is engineered, its the folks at the line that have to see that things are done right. A team effort they say.
An over engineered automobile that the people in the factory cannot be bothered to put together properly.

Seriously. Panel gaps, buffeting, road noise and wind noise should all be day 1 items.

How does the over engineering benefit when your Bluetooth fails to connect and unlock your car for you, or the door glass damages the trim when to close the door, or your hands are cold on the steering wheel without a warmer? It's great and all that the welds are consistent and that Tesla finally managed to figure how to cut waste out of the manufacturing process or adapt a continuous update approach...but these things benefit the OEM more so than the customer who has to deal with features that are missing or bugs continually getting worked out because the cars are continually changing.

Haven't had Bluetooth issue either with Android or iPhone. They also fixed several Bluetooth issues over last few recent software updates. Now it recognizes my wife and my profile automatically through Bluetooth.

You seems to confuse software feature with hardware here. You got new software drop every two weeks. If you are not happy, then simply don't buy it or return it in 7 days. My wife's Prius hasn't fixed Bluetooth issue for years, even with the same issue still exists in the most recent 2020 model.

Since I bought Model Y, they have added new dashcam feature, improved autopilot, charging station real-time status and fixed Bluetooth issues. Try to ask any other maker do the same without asking you get a new car.

It’s a simple upgrade if Tesla decides to do it...

Since it currently turns the cars red in the blind spot when signal is on its fully aware..if thats the case simply add an audio warning along with the the red car warning..

If it had trouble identifiying and turning the cars red that would be a different situation...

Reactions: Reeler