Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Not Worth the Price Now [Nov 2022]

Is the Current Price on the MY LR Overpriced?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We don't know how many orders are actually being placed at the higher prices and how many deliveries right now are still from the backlog built when they were significantly cheaper, upwards of $17k cheaper for the LR at the start of 2021. People not looking ahead are going to argue that the prices are good because every vehicle is selling right up until they're not and prices come down again.

Reactions: Eric9610
IMO, Tesla currently charges a $10K premium on every car for access to the charging network. The vehicles themselves will continue to lose features and be manufactured with poor quality, as they will more and more be the only convenient BEV option as other charging networks struggle to cope with increased demand.

We also have a leased Model Y at $52K and an upcoming order for a $68K purchased one to replace it. We're not sure we're going to go through with it, for several reasons:

-Our Model Y HVAC smells terrible any time it's humid out, even after cleaning and filter change. Not sure I can deal with a $70K vehicle smelling like a gym sock full of mexican food
-Newer Model Ys with better ride quality are offset by worse build quality. Our current Model Y has terrible ride quality but excellent paint and no rattles. Friends that have gotten vehicles recently have more motor noise, worse paint, and many rattles, for a higher price.
- Losing parking sensors on such an expensive vehicle is a joke. I work with computer vision and there is just no way for feature parity, similar to auto wipers.
-Prices will be coming down soon due to interest rates, even with the tax credit coming.
-In the Northeast, the reduced range from the cold remains inconvenient for us on holiday road trips. We are seriously considering getting an XC60 Recharge instead.
-Not a fan of the seats. I'm 6'2" and I have super poor thigh support as a driver. No passenger lumbar and no ventilation is similarly hard to swallow at such a high price.
-Limited service experience we've had has been poor
-Downloading new features in your car has been great. Downloading new bugs has not.

Reasons we are still considering taking delivery: Occupant safety, dog mode, Autopilot

IMO, Tesla currently charges a $10K premium on every car for access to the charging network. The vehicles themselves will continue to lose features and be manufactured with poor quality, as they will more and more be the only convenient BEV option as other charging networks struggle to cope with increased demand.

We also have a leased Model Y at $52K and an upcoming order for a $68K purchased one to replace it. We're not sure we're going to go through with it, for several reasons:

-Our Model Y HVAC smells terrible any time it's humid out, even after cleaning and filter change. Not sure I can deal with a $70K vehicle smelling like a gym sock full of mexican food
-Newer Model Ys with better ride quality are offset by worse build quality. Our current Model Y has terrible ride quality but excellent paint and no rattles. Friends that have gotten vehicles recently have more motor noise, worse paint, and many rattles, for a higher price.
- Losing parking sensors on such an expensive vehicle is a joke. I work with computer vision and there is just no way for feature parity, similar to auto wipers.
-Prices will be coming down soon due to interest rates, even with the tax credit coming.
-In the Northeast, the reduced range from the cold remains inconvenient for us on holiday road trips. We are seriously considering getting an XC60 Recharge instead.
-Not a fan of the seats. I'm 6'2" and I have super poor thigh support as a driver. No passenger lumbar and no ventilation is similarly hard to swallow at such a high price.
-Limited service experience we've had has been poor
-Downloading new features in your car has been great. Downloading new bugs has not.

Reasons we are still considering taking delivery: Occupant safety, dog mode, Autopilot
prices will not be coming down any time soon, my 2022 MYP paint and fit and finish was immaculate

22 MYP
1. No AC/Heater Smell anytime anywhere we go. Likely User Error or not following dry up procedure to prevent the smell.
2. No weird panel gap that require service, No paint issue., no rattle, except from my kids car seats. MYP with 21"s ride awesome on smooth and rough surface.
3. No one has any experience with deleted sensors, so it is silly to assume they will be the end of the world. My other 20 previous cars with no sensors or cameras and I had zero issues or accidents.
4. You have supecharger network and other fast chargers with CCS1 adapter from Tesla. No range anxiety at all.
5. Yes, no ventilated seats suck!
6. Luckily, my experience with both mobile and service center has been great!
7. Tesla has the best OTA update capability and features on the market.

"MYP with 21"s ride awesome on smooth and rough surface."

Your credibility for the rest of the items is gone after that statement.
Not really. Are you me? I stated how I feel and not sure how you can judge my experience.
I mean I bought this MY"P" for performance, and I was surprised that how solid the suspension felt when I was test driving it. I am used to race coilovers with metal spherical bearings on my other cars, so yes MYP suspension is awesome as designed and intended.

The charger advantage will be gone once its opened to other cars and that will happen next year as its already programed in the code.

It's interesting that so many people are posting to justify the price but the poll shows 3/4 of tesla owners feel the Y is overpriced at current price. Like I said the Y is a very good appliance at $55-60K but once you get over that price you have a lot to choose from in EV and ICE that do everything better. A model S is only 30K more and does everything better as an example.

I guess a follow-up question is would you buy the car at today's price?

Reactions: bobbyjae
Comparing it to a gas car is just plain stupid. You have to subtract your fuel savings which is massive over the loan period and also have to factor in the TCO variables like resale value. I paid sub $60K and it absolutely is cheaper than a $40K gas car at that pricing, however, I keep my cars 10-12 years so I will save north of $15K. I happen to live where my local utility charges only $0.04 / kWhr so about $130/year in electricity to drive 10k miles. Only valid comparison on straight up pricing is vs. the EV competition and with dealer mark up, the Y was a much better value based on higher resale value. Hyundai was only using a 50% residual 36 month value on their own leases. If they wont even bet on their own car, I surely will not. Lastly any discussion of other EV comparison that does not factor in the absolutely pathetic EA network is also a joke. 3 out of 4 chargers down and not working is very common. Sorry but I am not headed cross country with those type of pathetic reliability numbers. That has to be worth a $5K difference minimum on its own. All in all, with a slight drop in pricing, and 2023 rebates, my prediction is the Y stays unbeatable in this category for sure.

Reactions: KJD and cusetownusa
You've already shown that you like to drink the Musk Kool-Aid and have plenty of TSLA stock. How can we take your comments objectively?
Did I tell you or ask you or force you to like the suspension?? Stop forcing others to have the same opinion as you do. There are millions of other owners with zero issues vs. 20-30 of you guys.

The charger advantage will be gone once its opened to other cars and that will happen next year as its already programed in the code.

It's interesting that so many people are posting to justify the price but the poll shows 3/4 of tesla owners feel the Y is overpriced at current price. Like I said the Y is a very good appliance at $55-60K but once you get over that price you have a lot to choose from in EV and ICE that do everything better. A model S is only 30K more and does everything better as an example.

I seriously doubt Tesla opens up all existing chargers to CCS charging at the same time. Never going to happen. Much more likely they start by making sure all new sites are installed with both charging cables. Remember all the new money from the government applies to new installations. It is unclear if retrofitting old installs even counts for the subsidy as I doubt it does. That makes the most sense for Tesla as well to only switch over new installations currently to maximize the new Gov. Incentives received as well as not cut charger availability for current Tesla owners. They have to know with how bad EA‘s network is, every non Tesla owner is going to flock to Tesla sites as soon as they can. Since Tesla has already stated they are going to triple charger sites in 3 years, they will make a huge dent in this market very quickly anyway, not to mention this frees up maximum use of capital for total EV charging sites, not retrofits of existing sites which does very little for total EV adoption rates for gas car owners to switch.

By the way, the anomaly you find so hard to understand above on why so many answered it was overpriced is easy. Inflation is running a +8% and everything is overpriced right now. The wrong question was simply asked. It is overpriced, so are all the other EV’s in the current market. If you wanted to know if it is overpriced vs. the other EV competitors then that question should have been asked.

Last edited:
Reactions: house9 and voxel

Bad assumption. Not a code issue. Tesla is waiting for Biden-bucks to subsidize the charges and from reading NEVI plans it doesn’t seem all states agree to that. CCS will be a giant free for all mish mash of chargers from now to forever… much like how all states are individual.

I’ve always said CCS EVs are perfect for commuting. Not convinced they are ideal for long road trips unless you are retired and have oodles of time on your hands.

Comparing it to a gas car is just plain stupid. You have to subtract your fuel savings which is massive over the loan period and also have to factor in the TCO variables like resale value. I paid sub $60K and it absolutely is cheaper than a $40K gas car at that pricing, however, I keep my cars 10-12 years so I will save north of $15K. I happen to live where my local utility charges only $0.04 / kWhr so about $130/year in electricity to drive 10k miles. Only valid comparison on straight up pricing is vs. the EV competition and with dealer mark up, the Y was a much better value based on higher resale value. Hyundai was only using a 50% residual 36 month value on their own leases. If they wont even bet on their own car, I surely will not. Lastly any discussion of other EV comparison that does not factor in the absolutely pathetic EA network is also a joke. 3 out of 4 chargers down and not working is very common. Sorry but I am not headed cross country with those type of pathetic reliability numbers. That has to be worth a $5K difference minimum on its own. All in all, with a slight drop in pricing, and 2023 rebates, my prediction is the Y stays unbeatable in this category for sure.
Operating cost over time is comparable on an ICE and a tesla... I think KBB did an article on this showing only energy savings made a difference over long term ownership. Related to ownership in the 10+ year period the tesla will need a battery at $16-18K, what on a gas car would be replaced in this range? I have never had any service on any car cost this much...

Also, as a note driving long distance in an EV vs ICE costs the same as the rate at SC is very high now. We have done several bay area trips and total charging cost was around $190, I can do that same trip in my ICE car faster by 1hr and for $120... My E350 get 700miles on a full tank driving at 85 on this trip...

• Disagree
Reactions: cusetownusa

Even IF Tesla opens up the SC network to non-Tesla cars, they will not open up 100% as they didn't in Europe, so charger advantage will be still there until either other non Tesla charger network gets 1000% more and better or Tesla opens up 100% to others.
Also, $30k is a lot of money for most people (may not for you), so not many will just to $100k+ MS cars from MY/MYP.

Vocal minority vs silent majority

Model Y LR was a good value before the $17k of price increases since the start of 2021

Operating cost over time is comparable on an ICE and a tesla... I think KBB did an article on this showing only energy savings made a difference over long term ownership. Related to ownership in the 10+ year period the tesla will need a battery at $16-18K, what on a gas car would be replaced in this range? I have never had any service on any car cost this much...

Also, as a note driving long distance in an EV vs ICE costs the same as the rate at SC is very high now. We have done several bay area trips and total charging cost was around $190, I can do that same trip in my ICE car faster by 1hr and for $120... My E350 get 700miles on a full tank driving at 85 on this trip...
I agree. I saw an article showing that some EU countries have very high fast charger rate, so that it was more expensive than ICE cars.

Reactions: Eric9610

That's the problem with polls like this, they are entertaining but one can draw no conclusions from them. In September the Y was the best selling car of any kind in Europe, a first, and it passed the Corolla and was the best selling car of any kind in the world despite being ~ 40% more expensive than the Corolla. Clearly, the price isn't too high.

That's the problem with polls like this, they are entertaining but one can draw no conclusions from them. In September the Y was the best selling car of any kind in Europe, a first, and it passed the Corolla and was the best selling car of any kind in the world despite being ~ 40% more expensive than the Corolla. Clearly, the price isn't too high.
All those cars are under $60k as my father's Y that was ordered in March for $61k including tax is being delivered tomorrow. I suspect we won't see the impact of the current pricing till late Q1 of 2023.

It's interesting to hear from owners thoughts on the Y.

You keep trying to justify your own opinion. Maybe in So Cal with the ridiculous price of energy you are correct for your situation, but doesnt really matter, as your entire premise to reach a conclusion is just plain stupid. People vote with their wallet. Right now the Model Y is the best selling car in the entire world. So obviously there is only one correct answer. At the price paid in Q1, the car was worth it. Now if you are predicting things will reverse in Q1 and Q2, I think you are going to be proven wrong again, but let’s simply wait and find out.

My prediction is that Tesla will lower pricing again to match the economic situation required and it will stay the #1 best selling car in the world. They will take the entire Q4 no matter what. The only reason they raised prices in the first place was to cover input raw materials that spiked to incredibly high levels. Those pricing pressures are starting to subside.

Status
Not open for further replies.