Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Not Worth the Price Now [Nov 2022]

Is the Current Price on the MY LR Overpriced?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Agree to disagree. I don't personally think a $3750 incentive will be enough to keep a $70K SUV within stretch range for most regular folks once rates hit 7-8% next year. Your paint being high quality does not mean quality is good. It just means you got a good copy. Tesla's quality swings wildly throughout the year as output ramps up and down. Our local service center even admitted as such, telling us Tesla's end of the year push always results in a nightmare of rework for them.
"most regular folks" aren't buying a $70k+ SUV, they're buying a $35k CRV/ Rav4 / Escape / et al and even then are likely taking on more of a car payment than they ought to.

My point exactly. The only real valid metric to judge by. If people think it is not overpriced they will buy, if overpriced they will not. Arguing something is overpriced that has a 6 month waiting list just shows your criteria you are judging by does not match the criteria valued by most of the purchasing population.
but ho many of those are at current prices?? seems a majority of them at at last year prices... tesla has a long delay..

Reactions: Eric9610
"most regular folks" aren't buying a $70k+ SUV, they're buying a $35k CRV/ Rav4 / Escape / et al and even then are likely taking on more of a car payment than they ought to.
A LOT of Tesla buyers have historically been value-focused people who bought more vehicle than they usually do in order to achieve savings in the long term over an ICE vehicle. That savings has now largely been eroded with the increased prices and creeping supercharging rates. I work at an R&D facility and more than half of my fellow middle-class coworkers have 3/Ys.

I also think the people with money to splash are going to start getting sick of continued cheapening of the interior, particularly the removal of drive and turn signal stalks next year.

Reactions: Eric9610
The operating costs are not the same...nowhere close. A battery properly cared for will last about 15 years...even crappy Leafs with passive battery cooling are lasting far longer than expectations. Most people only keep their cars about ~8 years if they own. Using that average, how many maintenance items will you save over those 8 years...probably a couple grand at least. I kept my Lexus IS350 for 5 years and 60k miles and it racked up $3k worth of maintenance that my Tesla will never see (synth oil, brakes, other fluids). Not to mention that my Tesla has been far more convenient than my Lexus ever was (no maintenance trips, no gas stations). I've spent $40 on maintenance in the last 3.5 years on my Tesla (outside of tires). I've never had such a convenient car.
Here is a perfect example of a model 3 losing only 5.6% battery range over 4 years of use. Again, the guys pushing the crap on battery replacement needed in 10 years quoting inflated current battery prices when battery prices have fallen by an order of magnitude in the last few years is just uninformed junk. They are not even acknowledging how the new structural battery pack design for Tesla will not only allow you to replace the battery pack much cheaper from a labor standpoint, but would also allow you to upgrade to a future improved chemistry if the form factor is maintained for a number of years. At the worlds best selling car, the structural pack design will definitely hit massive volume of units in a few years, making replacement battery modules if required even cheaper. If you are that worried about the battery life, simply trade in with a better resale value than a gas car before the warranty runs out in 8 years. Basic math still all applies.

A LOT of Tesla buyers have historically been value-focused people who bought more vehicle than they usually do in order to achieve savings in the long term over an ICE vehicle. That savings has now largely been eroded with the increased prices and creeping supercharging rates. I work at an R&D facility and more than half of my fellow middle-class coworkers have 3/Ys.

I also think the people with money to splash are going to start getting sick of continued cheapening of the interior, particularly the removal of drive and turn signal stalks next year.
I will have to disagree on it. I think a lot of Tesla owners are previous hybrid car owners, such as Prius, and the price of Prius is much higher than compariable sub compact cars like Civic, Corolla, Elentra, Sentra, etc which cost little over $14k. It was more like "save the planet" "virtue signaling" type purchases than "value focused" purchase.
No one knows what will happen with the stalks, so it is silly to make statement like this without knowing the future. (If you know the future, let me know when I die, so I can borrow money from banks as much as I can) LOL.

I took delivery of a MYP in late Sept with a M3 trade-in, so I still see value. The alternatives I researched meant having to go through a dealer, sacrificing range and dealing with archaic interfaces in many cases (I personally prefer a minimalist interior). Luckily, the fit and finish on mine is excellent, and it was built right before they removed the ultrasonic sensors. It also feels much more premium than my 2018 M3. That said, as EV competition ramps up, I think Tesla will either need to start adding instead of removing features, or make the price more attractive.

Agree to disagree. I don't personally think a $3750 incentive will be enough to keep a $70K SUV within stretch range for most regular folks once rates hit 7-8% next year. Your paint being high quality does not mean quality is good. It just means you got a good copy. Tesla's quality swings wildly throughout the year as output ramps up and down. Our local service center even admitted as such, telling us Tesla's end of the year push always results in a nightmare of rework for them.
What part of the US made requirements in 2023 are you not expecting the model Y to hit for full $7500 credit qualification? The sourcing of the battery minerals provisions do not kick in until 2024.

I want to move to Germany and start flipping MYPs! LOL
Tesla sales growth has not been slowed down, it is actually up every quarter. Also, used car should be cheaper than new car MSRP, not the other way around.

It has... in the past Tesla was growing 50% or more and the last quarter or so I think it went to 35% - part blamed on the COVID lockdowns at Tesla Shanghai.

What part of the US made requirements in 2023 are you not expecting the model Y to hit for full $7500 credit qualification? The sourcing of the battery minerals provisions do not kick in until 2024.

No they kick in on 1/1/2023 - I think it is "40% value" whatever that really means. What you might be thinking of is no battery minerals from "foreign countries of concern" requirement that kicks in 2024.

What part of the US made requirements in 2023 are you not expecting the model Y to hit for full $7500 credit qualification.
If the argument is that you pay a premium today to save gas costs over time, there are many more complications when thinking about stuff like opportunity cost and the idea that money today is worth more than money tomorrow -- most fuel costs for a new ICE are years in the future. And we can try deducing where gasoline and electricity prices might go over the next 5-10-15 years, because obviously those will fluctuate.

If everyone suddenly switches to EVs before the infrastructure etc can adapt, I'd expect gas prices to plummet and electricity costs to spike. Supercharger costs have already gone way up, of course only affecting people who can't charge at home or who are doing road trips.
Gas prices are going to plummet off of half the usage? Interesting economics. Most of the costs are going to be for refining and fixed costs are going to go up over declining volume. Maybe initially off of a glut of oil in the world market. As soon a companies loose billions, Economics 101 is pretty clear which way the costs go. Thinks Saudi Arabia is going to spend billions on oil exploration with declining global demand? Also as the end user you have the ultimate weapon to make the electricity prices free, at least after the 6 year payback period. Solar install at home. Not so sure that you can make your own gasoline at home. Also to pretend that the States / Governments are not going to get real aggressive with additional gasoline sin taxes to push you into the direction they want you going is very naïveté. Just ask the smokers how that is working out for their wallets. They are just dying to pass massive carbon taxes.

Last edited:
No they kick in on 1/1/2023 - I think it is "40% value" whatever that really means. What you might be thinking of is no battery minerals from "foreign countries of concern" requirement that kicks in 2024.
Not so sure you are reading this right…

About half of the full $7,500 credit is based on a requirement focused on whether the battery components are made or assembled in North America. That means to get the $3,750 designated for this requirement the percentage of the value of the battery’s components that were manufactured or assembled in North America has to exceed a certain threshold. And it increases every year.

EVs that go to market before January 1, 2024 must exceed a 40% battery components assembled in North America threshold. EVs that come to market during 2024 have to exceed 50%. And it goes up from there:

Tesla assembles 100% of the battery components if it is a 4680 battery in the US, so that is more than 40%. Most of the other 2170 cells are made (assembled) in Nevada. This is so specific, I don’t think we will really know until the official list is published by the US Government. The law was designed to bring battery manufacturing here to the US. Will be pretty stupid if they immediately disqualify all US made batteries. Could be as politicians are pretty stupid.

Reactions: electricar

If someone is "value-focused" they would have realized several price hikes ago that Tesla has been catering to the Audi/BMW/Mercedes audience, not the Accord/Camry market, and noped out on the $250 deposit and moved on. Without regular access to cheap or free charging, and learning to drive with a careful throttle foot, the operating costs of a Tesla can get pricey quickly.

As for the price vs interior features and quality , can't fault your logic, Tesla interiors are functional but underwhelming for their price point, to say the least.

Depends on which price you are talking about. If you buy one new from Tesla then they are over priced based on being able to buy a used one with 0 miles for 40% of the Tesla price. When I got mine in May it was worth $20,000 more than I paid for it. But by July the used car market began to drop and now all of the car trader companies I have tested are offering around 40% of that price. At this rate, by next May, I will have to pay someone to take it. Good thing I planned to keep it forever. . . . . .

Reactions: Bob2C
Not so sure you are reading this right…

About half of the full $7,500 credit is based on a requirement focused on whether the battery components are made or assembled in North America. That means to get the $3,750 designated for this requirement the percentage of the value of the battery’s components that were manufactured or assembled in North America has to exceed a certain threshold. And it increases every year.

EVs that go to market before January 1, 2024 must exceed a 40% battery components assembled in North America threshold. EVs that come to market during 2024 have to exceed 50%. And it goes up from there:

Tesla assembles 100% of the battery components if it is a 4680 battery in the US, so that is more than 40%. Most of the other 2170 cells are made (assembled) in Nevada. This is so specific, I don’t think we will really know until the official list is published by the US Government. The law was designed to bring battery manufacturing here to the US. Will be pretty stupid if they immediately disqualify all US made batteries. Could be as politicians are pretty stupid.
The battery mineral requirement also kicks in starting 2023 @ 40% and then increasing to 80% in 2027. However, there are additional conditions coming:
  • Starting in 2024, a vehicle will be disqualified for both halves of the credit if it contains any battery components coming from a foreign entity of concern.
  • Starting in 2025, a vehicle will be disqualified for both halves of the credit if it contains any critical minerals coming from a foreign entity of concern.
This is seriously not friendly at all to the current supply chain, there are surely at least some battery components still coming from China used in batteries that are manufactured or assembled domestically.

Reactions: Zalick
If ya don't think it's worth it that's fine. Have you thought about why others are paying it? The zillions sold... someone must think it's worth it with 50% sales growth quarter over quarter ya know?
I'd attribute that to something akin to the bigger fool syndrome in the stock market.

My Y was my first Tesla. It is the one Tesla I'll never miss after I sold it. At the current pricing, I'd really shop the other companies and think seriously about if a 3 would work for me. I enjoy my 3 a lot more on a daily basis than I ever did my Y.

Status
Not open for further replies.