Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Not Worth the Price Now [Nov 2022]

Is the Current Price on the MY LR Overpriced?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
or, advertising revenue drives reviewers to promote differences to Tesla (which doesn't advertise)
they know which side of the bread is buttered.

I've found the reviews straining for differentiation.
my actual examination / test drives / experience is that they mostly don't measure up.
Definitely a bit of this - you can tell these are 1.0 products.

But the lack of true availability remains just as damning. You might like those alts, but you're buying it in 2024. If you want something sooner, it probably has to be a Tesla. The exceptions are serviceable cars, but may be RWD only, or tiny or both (ID.4)

Reactions: tangible1
I still think the Model Y is the best BEV SUV available. The competition is either smaller, or has less performance. I am looking forward to the Polestar 4 (MY size), but the Swedes tend to price their cars high for no reason. XC40/C40 and Polestar 2 are very expensive for their range/performance.

Our 2020 Model Y ($53,190) is going off lease. I had expected to get a new one, but the +$15k price and interest rates made that prohibitive. I was able to convince my older parents in FL to get a new MY a little while ago when the price was a bit lower, so I do think it's worthwhile.

In the end, we found an identical pre-owned 2020 Model Y in great condition, and decided to buy it. Used prices are still very high, but it's $13k+ cheaper than a 2022.

I still think the Model Y is the best BEV SUV available. The competition is either smaller, or has less performance. I am looking forward to the Polestar 4 (MY size), but the Swedes tend to price their cars high for no reason. XC40/C40 and Polestar 2 are very expensive for their range/performance.

Our 2020 Model Y ($53,190) is going off lease. I had expected to get a new one, but the +$15k price and interest rates made that prohibitive. I was able to convince my older parents in FL to get a new MY a little while ago when the price was a bit lower, so I do think it's worthwhile.

In the end, we found an identical pre-owned 2020 Model Y in great condition, and decided to buy it. Used prices are still very high, but it's $13k+ cheaper than a 2022.
Yeah, that's a good move for you. Other manu are indeed feeling like their cars are the 1.0s. They might offer more on the spec sheet but the back end infrastructure is just not as streamlined as Tesla's. Even Tesla's infrastructure is not as smooth so you can only imagine how long it'll take other manu to catch up on that end.

By the time they do then it might be worth trying but if we're talking about right now, Tesla is still worth the price of admission. I'm not even saying it has to be a NEW Tesla either. I see 2020 models for decently priced and you still are able to take advantage of the infrastructure/updates. In 5-7 years, hopefully other manu catches up (Who knows) it'll be time to upgrade anyways.

Yeah, that's a good move for you. Other manu are indeed feeling like their cars are the 1.0s. They might offer more on the spec sheet but the back end infrastructure is just not as streamlined as Tesla's. Even Tesla's infrastructure is not as smooth so you can only imagine how long it'll take other manu to catch up on that end.

By the time they do then it might be worth trying but if we're talking about right now, Tesla is still worth the price of admission. I'm not even saying it has to be a NEW Tesla either. I see 2020 models for decently priced and you still are able to take advantage of the infrastructure/updates. In 5-7 years, hopefully other manu catches up (Who knows) it'll be time to upgrade anyways.
Yea, for us Tesla is perfect. I have 3 Service Centers w/in an hour (1 is 10 min away), updates are non-stop (so a 2020 feels brand new), superchargers are everywhere on the East Coast, and the in-car infotainment is so easy/natural to use for my wife after so many years.

Reactions: Happy Hippo
Yea, for us Tesla is perfect. I have 3 Service Centers w/in an hour (1 is 10 min away), updates are non-stop (so a 2020 feels brand new), superchargers are everywhere on the East Coast, and the in-car infotainment is so easy/natural to use for my wife after so many years.
Yeah, those are all pros and hard to beat if comparing it to the alternative. It's outside of the standard car spec vs. spec and I think that's the part that some folk misses when comparing Tesla to other offerings. It's not even something you can really put a $ value, just more of a personal preference on how much said accessibility is worth (So I guess you can put a $, lol).

Looks like the current price is not sustainable since tesla is now offering a $3,750 discount for Dec deliveries!
For Tesla to start doing this on the Volume models they must be getting a lot of cancelations! Expect the price to come down further.

As I suspected...LOL
Nah.
Short term incentive.
Tax incentives are making many people want to push deliveries into January - just like late 2021 with the (failed) BBB legislation.

You forget that there are lots of buyers who are over the income limit, or want a configuration that's over the cost limit.
Tesla being proactive, pulling them in, is a smart move.
Tesla has learned.

I’m actually considering a Rivian R1S instead of the Y which I had on order until I cancelled it a few months ago. I have a Lyriq on reserve but the dealers are starting to play their stupid games of “market adjustment “ pricing
good concept, ok implementation, but the ingress/egress (getting in and out) is.....worse than a sedan. Very surprising.
good interior layout once you're in, yet the user screen size isn't great. you do have a driver binnacle (not that you really need it after Tesla experience).
ground clearance and stance is good but did not drive it.
6 figures for it......that's a deal breaker. kinda like asking 6 figures for the Jeep Wagoneer.....really?

I’m actually considering a Rivian R1S instead of the Y which I had on order until I cancelled it a few months ago. I have a Lyriq on reserve but the dealers are starting to play their stupid games of “market adjustment “ pricing
If you order now you could have it by 2026. Slow progress unfortunately and at the current burn rate not sure how they are going to grow.

Reactions: BMWY
Currently showing over 1,400 **NEW** Teslas in stock nationwide. That number includes 762 Model 3's and 501 Model Y's. Really surprised to see this number still significantly rising daily.. especially considering the current $3,750 incentive.. which has been available for several days now.

Another thing to note is new buyers now reporting 7% to 7.5% interest rates. A post on Reddit where someone just bought a new inventory MYP just last night with EAP. The vehicle only had 15 miles on the clock.. but already had two discounts applied ($3,750 car + $3,550 EAP).. and still totaled $71,140 before sales taxes & DMV fees. OTD with all fees included came to $76.K OTD.. of which $74.7K was financed.. for 72 months @ 7.15% APR. That car payment is almost $1,300 for 72 months.. would be about total about $92K to satisfy the loan. In case you are missing the point here.. the days of cheap car loans are gone.

I can't even comprehend paying that much money for a Model Y.. and I absolutely love my Model Y. Even with another $7,500 tax credit. Or the state of shock Id be left with after getting a quote from Carvana to see what the current wholesale value of this vehicle. Only way I'd buy a Model Y at current pricing.. is used.

1670271079943.png

1670271717777.png

Last edited:
I also have an R1S and a CT on order. If you just ordered the Rivian then yes it’s $96k for the 4 motor version but if you had an order in for a while it’s $79k. A far better car in every aspect than the Y.

Also not a guess…. Tesla is having issues in china with demand and like the discount they got 2 months before NA, expect major drop in demand over the next 3 months.

Reports from Bloomberg and Reuters today are that Tesla will cut production 20% in china due to weak demand in domestic market. This is even after price reductions. The same thing is about to happen in NA

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Yelobird
I also have an R1S and a CT on order. If you just ordered the Rivian then yes it’s $96k for the 4 motor version but if you had an order in for a while it’s $79k. A far better car in every aspect than the Y.

Also not a guess…. Tesla is having issues in china with demand and like the discount they got 2 months before NA, expect major drop in demand over the next 3 months.

Reports from Bloomberg and Reuters today are that Tesla will cut production 20% in china due to weak demand in domestic market. This is even after price reductions. The same thing is about to happen in NA
Lol No.

Reactions: Yelobird and DrGriz
Status
Not open for further replies.