Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Not Worth the Price Now [Nov 2022]

Is the Current Price on the MY LR Overpriced?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the question that I always come up with, why do affordable cars, whether is EV or ICE, have to look really bad? Tesla design language is pretty much the same but you can't deny that it looks good, even if you don't like it, in comparison to other cars, it's at least acceptable.

I wouldn't mind cross shopping other cars that are more affordable but they legit look like lunchboxes. The nicer ones are usually more expensive if not as expensive as a Tesla (Taycan, E-Tron, etc).
The thing about Tesla is that every car is starting to look the same, year in and year out. It's getting a little tiresome and generic, especially in this area.

At least Hyundai and some other companies plan to change the appearance moving forward (check out the Ioniq 5 vs 6).

With what looks like the return of the SRY, I'm curious if we'll see the LRY disappear completely. If the SR comes back at sub-$60K for 280 miles, that seems like a much better deal than the LRY at $66K (for 330 miles.) If the SR qualifies for more tax incentives, that would make the LRY an even tougher sell.

Ah yes, I can definitely see that. That's a fair point.
and in another year, when perhaps supply catches up to demand, Tesla will perform magic tricks on sheet metal to convince people to keep buying Tesla's.
Just like GM, Ford, etc always do. Except I still haven't seen any EV conquer the Tesla trifecta - design, performance, efficiency.
EV's will quickly fall prey to the same issues as ICE vehicles. But few are learning the new language of electric yet; they all still sell sheet metal.

and in another year, when perhaps supply catches up to demand, Tesla will perform magic tricks on sheet metal to convince people to keep buying Tesla's.
Just like GM, Ford, etc always do. Except I still haven't seen any EV conquer the Tesla trifecta - design, performance, efficiency.
EV's will quickly fall prey to the same issues as ICE vehicles. But few are learning the new language of electric yet; they all still sell sheet metal.
I appreciate your posts as it provides logical explanation that keeps the convo going.

Reactions: tangible1
Kia deleted the base Light trim. Good riddance because it basically overlapped with the Niro EV.

It's like complaining that Tesla raised Model 3 prices in 2023 if they deleted the RWD trim.
The Kia and Hyundai are extremely poor buys and can’t compare to the MYLR financially. The cheapest I was able to actually buy the top of the line model for was $6K over MSRP, putting the car within $2K of my MYLR pricing. When combined with regular off the lot depreciation a car accident totalling the car a day after purchase could end up costing you $12K out of pocket or more. Many reporting $8K-$10K dealer markups. All that does is set you up for a disaster. They also do not qualify for the rebate at all in January. Lastly Hyundai themselves use a 36 month residual value calculation of 50% MSRP. You can either give the money up front to a dealer trying to rip you off, and watch that money vaporize, or give it to the leader in the industry, have it count toward the MSRP, and help the company doing the most to solve EV issues and adoption globally. I will invest in the latter thank you.

• Informative
Reactions: DrGriz
The Kia and Hyundai are extremely poor buys and can’t compare to the MYLR financially. The cheapest I was able to actually buy the top of the line model for was $6K over MSRP, putting the car within $2K of my MYLR pricing. When combined with regular off the lot depreciation a car accident totalling the car a day after purchase could end up costing you $12K out of pocket or more. Many reporting $8K-$10K dealer markups. All that does is set you up for a disaster. They also do not qualify for the rebate at all in January. Lastly Hyundai themselves use a 36 month residual value calculation of 50% MSRP. You can either give the money up front to a dealer trying to rip you off, and watch that money vaporize, or give it to the leader in the industry, have it count toward the MSRP, and help the company doing the most to solve EV issues and adoption globally. I will invest in the latter thank you.
The ADM thing is regional. You can't point to huge markups and say the car is automatically a bad buy as a result. In my area, I can get one with zero markup with a 3 month wait, which we are considering. We drove our MYLR to test an Ioniq 5 Limited and the only area it was notably behind was storage space, sound system, and the app. The Ioniq had many advantages. Actual suspension. Human-sized bottom seat cushions. Powered sunshade. Android auto. Adjustable Regen. Cooled seats. Actual wipers. Blind spot monitor. Usable V2L. 360 camera. 800V charging. I would personally take an Ioniq 5 over a Model 3 right now. The Model Ys main benefits are roominess and space, but you pay dearly to get it.

Last edited:
The ADM thing is regional. You can't point to huge markups and say the car is automatically a bad buy as a result. In my area, I can get one with zero markup with a 3 month wait, which we are considering. We drove our MYLR to test an Ioniq 5 Limited and the only area it was notably behind was storage space, sound system, and the app. The Ioniq had many advantages. Actual suspension. Human-sized bottom seat cushions. Powered sunshade. Android auto. Adjustable Regen. Cooled seats. Actual wipers. Blind spot monitor. Usable V2L. 360 camera. 800V charging. I would personally take an Ioniq 5 over a Model 3 right now. The Model Ys main benefits are roominess and space, but you pay dearly to get it.
Markups is still a factor IMO. I don't think we can just pretend it's not a decision when purchasing your next car. There are people are are good at negotiation and there are people that are not. In a perfect world, MSRP is the ceiling but we know that's not the case with majority of non Tesla dealerships. If anything, hoping people call out dealership BS just as much as we're calling out Tesla's delivery exp and build quality.

I would definitely would like more choices/options but having dealt with regular dealerships with all of my previous car buying experiences here in the Bay Area, it is definitely not something that I look forward to when buying a car.

Markups is still a factor IMO. I don't think we can just pretend it's not a decision when purchasing your next car. There are people are are good at negotiation and there are people that are not. In a perfect world, MSRP is the ceiling but we know that's not the case with majority of non Tesla dealerships. If anything, hoping people call out dealership BS just as much as we're calling out Tesla's delivery exp and build quality.

I would definitely would like more choices/options but having dealt with regular dealerships with all of my previous car buying experiences here in the Bay Area, it is definitely not something that I look forward to when buying a car.

You are right that markups are regional and very dealer specific. You can only buy a Model Y at one price and its fixed. You at least have a shot of getting a really good price on a I5 or EV6 because many dealers don't charge markup and use a waitlist system. Admittedly, the I5 and EV6 were much more of a value play with the tax rebate...i myself scored an EV6 under $50k total due to lack markup and tax credit but times are changing. The Model Y with tax credit vs. I5 without is much more competitive.

Reactions: Daekwan
You are right that markups are regional and very dealer specific. You can only buy a Model Y at one price and its fixed. You at least have a shot of getting a really good price on a I5 or EV6 because many dealers don't charge markup and use a waitlist system. Admittedly, the I5 and EV6 were much more of a value play with the tax rebate...i myself scored an EV6 under $50k total due to lack markup and tax credit but times are changing. The Model Y with tax credit vs. I5 without is much more competitive.
For sure, I agree that deals are to be had, no countering that but the amount of effort to wheel and deal is a turn off to some. That doesn't even include the potential mind games they play with extra add ons like warranty, lo-jack, etc. There are folks that have the patience and skills to do so but there are also others that don't. The playing field is not even (Not saying it should) but at the very least Tesla is bringing a different pov on how the buying experience can be, at least up to the point where you place the order.

The delivery part is still questionable, lol.

I think the issue is Tesla Calls the ADM the MSRP... and when demand drops the MSRP goes down, AKA market-based pricing. In a traditional model the ADM goes away but MSRP never changed...

So in the end with the Telsa you have the same negative equity as paying a ADM..

Reactions: Daekwan
I put down my $100 deposit on a 2024 Lyriq which might deliver in 2023. My 2021 M3SR+ was slightly damaged in Hurricane Ian and the insurance check and trade-in made me $3500 and I got to drive it for 11 months.
I planned to replace with another M3SR+ or possibly a MY in 2023 to get a rebate. Since I got a 2023 ICE car for intrum use, I'm not in a hurry. If the Lyriq price jumps up drastically I'll rethink the matter and get a VW id4 or Tesla again. It's nice to have options.

I put down my $100 deposit on a 2024 Lyriq which might deliver in 2023. My 2021 M3SR+ was slightly damaged in Hurricane Ian and the insurance check and trade-in made me $3500 and I got to drive it for 11 months.
I planned to replace with another M3SR+ or possibly a MY in 2023 to get a rebate. Since I got a 2023 ICE car for intrum use, I'm not in a hurry. If the Lyriq price jumps up drastically I'll rethink the matter and get a VW id4 or Tesla again. It's nice to have options.

2024 Lyriq? Yeah... expect a large price increase (I'm guessing min $5K but more like $9K like Ford). $62K was announced back when GM didn't have any tax credits. Only a tiny number of 2023s will be produced anyhow (rumor is around 3000) and they were sold out on 5/18.

2024 Lyriq? Yeah... expect a large price increase (I'm guessing min $5K but more like $9K like Ford). $62K was announced back when GM didn't have any tax credits. Only a tiny number of 2023s will be produced anyhow (rumor is around 3000) and they were sold out on 5/18.
minimum price increase will be.....wait for it.....$7500
assuming it qualifies for the rebates, for which GM will wrangle a pass since they're 'leading the revolution'.

Reactions: Zalick
I think that will happen, but on really slow timescales. Tesla is like the slow Audi with redesigns. Just look at how little the new S changed.

TBH, I'm not so sure this is a bad thing. The regular sheet metal refreshes were largely to encourage people to upgrade. If anything, it likely drives depreciation. Long designs with minor refinement could be nice.

I have a feeling the CT might end up being the exception, but that's because I still kind of expect it to be a fad design.

or, advertising revenue drives reviewers to promote differences to Tesla (which doesn't advertise)
they know which side of the bread is buttered.

I've found the reviews straining for differentiation.
my actual examination / test drives / experience is that they mostly don't measure up.

Status
Not open for further replies.