Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Not Worth the Price Now [Nov 2022]

Is the Current Price on the MY LR Overpriced?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I understand it. I had some of the same thoughts in this thread. I think it’s natural to want to get the best deal possible. The problem of course is you can just keep delaying forever with some worry or other.… I want a cheaper price.… better range…. A new battery chemistry…. A plusher ride…. Etc etc.

Anyway, my thinking was this: I was locked in at march prices, so 6k less than current. For me to get a deal worth canceling, I would need perhaps a 10k minimum drop in price within a few months? Because not only am I 6k lower than current, but there is the time cost of gas and maintenance on another car. It’s dumb to wait a year to save a few thousand on purchase price but pay that much on another vehicle. Fremont vehicles at least are the most mature ev production line cars in the planet. The quality appears to be better than ever, and personally I trust Tesla‘s quality (in an ev) way more than any other maker who have yet to go through that learning phase. They have made so many mistakes and made so many minor tweaks and improvements that it seems to me they actually have a pretty darn good product now.

Are model y prices going to plummet? I doubt it…. Not sure if you follow the worldwide production trends, but there are some serious signs that we are near peak oil production (for real this time lol) so imo gas prices are headed much higher. New incentives will keep ev prices high. I could see them dropping a bit should we enter recession, but not nearly enough to make cancelling make sense.

speaking of recession.… keep in mind that things are likely fcked only if interest rates keep marching up. And that happens only if inflation keeps rising. So even if we enter a slump, it could coincide with price support from inflation. So don’t think for a minute the idea that EVs are going to get cheaper if we start melting down due to inflation Is a lock. It’s not. It’s conceivable prices could rise even if production and demand stalled.

Anyway that was my thinking. i think it is a rational analysis, and implies now is a decent time to take delivery. The math changes a bit with todays +6k prices, and it’s a little psychologically unnerving to know you are paying top price, so I understand the questioning.

one other thing while I’m rambling... watch out for the fallacy of used car prices.…. I’ve seen a lot of threads here taking about prices plummeting. Sure, they have dropped from stupid levels, but teslas are not being given away anywhere. The wholesale second hand buy price may look low but that’s how it works in any normal car market. That is NOT the price you can purchase a used Tesla. You pay a big markup and then sales tax, etc. do the math and you’re right back up at a price in the ballpark of a new vehicle.… even with the “drop” (back to normal).

As for suspension, yes, my build has the newest suspension — it was one of the first 2023 YLR vins from Fremont. The ride feels great, and a massive difference from my wife’s 2019 model 3. like night and day. My other vehicle is a Highlander. Its suspension is softer than the y, but they aren’t far off.

Last edited:
Oh I understand it. I had some of the same thoughts in this thread. I think it’s natural to want to get the best deal possible. The problem of course is you can just keep delaying forever with some worry or other.… I want a cheaper price.… better range…. A new battery chemistry…. A plusher ride…. Etc etc.

Anyway, my thinking was this: I was locked in at march prices, so 6k less than current. For me to get a deal worth canceling, I would need perhaps a 10k minimum drop in price within a few months? Because not only am I 6k lower than current, but there is the time cost of gas and maintenance on another car. It’s dumb to wait a year to save a few thousand on purchase price but pay that much on another vehicle. Fremont vehicles at least are the most mature ev production line cars in the planet. The quality appears to be better than ever, and personally I trust Tesla‘s quality (in an ev) way more than any other maker who have yet to go through that learning phase. They have made so many mistakes and made so many minor tweaks and improvements that it seems to me they actually have a pretty darn good product now.

Are model y prices going to plummet? I doubt it…. Not sure if you follow the worldwide production trends, but there are some serious signs that we are near peak oil production (for real this time lol) so imo gas prices are headed much higher. New incentives will keep ev prices high. I could see them dropping a bit should we enter recession, but not nearly enough to make cancelling make sense.

speaking of recession.… keep in mind that things are likely fcked only if interest rates keep marching up. And that happens only if inflation keeps rising. So even if we enter a slump, it could coincide with price support from inflation. So don’t think for a minute the idea that EVs are going to get cheaper if we start melting down due to inflation Is a lock. It’s not. It’s conceivable prices could rise even if production and demand stalled.

Anyway that was my thinking. i think it is a rational analysis, and implies now is a decent time to take delivery. The math changes a bit with todays +6k prices, and it’s a little psychologically unnerving to know you are paying top price, so I understand the questioning.

one other thing while I’m rambling... watch out for the fallacy of used car prices.…. I’ve seen a lot of threads here taking about prices plummeting. Sure, they have dropped from stupid levels, but teslas are not being given away anywhere. The wholesale second hand buy price may look low but that’s how it works in any normal car market. That is NOT the price you can purchase a used Tesla. You pay a big markup and then sales tax, etc. do the math and you’re right back up at a price in the ballpark of a new vehicle.… even with the “drop” (back to normal).

As for suspension, yes, my build has the newest suspension — it was one of the first 2023 YLR vins from Fremont. The ride feels great, and a massive difference from my wife’s 2019 model 3. like night and day. My other vehicle is a Highlander. Its suspension is softer than the y, but they aren’t far off.
My wife has a 2021 Highlander Platinum and I've got a 2022 MYP. The Highlander is leagues above the MYP in terms of ride comfort and overall "pleasant" to drive over long stretches of highway that include a mix of amazingly smooth and terribly awful in terms of not well maintained roads / undulating surfaces, potholes, you name it. I have a hard time believing even the so called "comfort suspension" MYP is able to soak up the same terrain with similar comfort as the Highlander. Where the Highlander falls down entirely is in cornering and overall sharpness of handling, and of course acceleration.

Short trips / great smooth road - no question the MYP wins on comfort and economy. Long distances / variable roads AND cost be damned - I'll pick the Highlander every single time. It's lane keep and auto cruise don't do any funny phantom braking nonsense or try to tear me out of the lane I wish to stay in (think exits et al), its way more relaxed in terms of both handling and soaking up the bumps and crappy roads, plus with winter tires, its the default choice in the passes around WA State for sure.

My wife has a 2021 Highlander Platinum and I've got a 2022 MYP. The Highlander is leagues above the MYP in terms of ride comfort and overall "pleasant" to drive over long stretches of highway that include a mix of amazingly smooth and terribly awful in terms of not well maintained roads / undulating surfaces, potholes, you name it. I have a hard time believing even the so called "comfort suspension" MYP is able to soak up the same terrain with similar comfort as the Highlander. Where the Highlander falls down entirely is in cornering and overall sharpness of handling, and of course acceleration.

Short trips / great smooth road - no question the MYP wins on comfort and economy. Long distances / variable roads AND cost be damned - I'll pick the Highlander every single time. It's lane keep and auto cruise don't do any funny phantom braking nonsense or try to tear me out of the lane I wish to stay in (think exits et al), its way more relaxed in terms of both handling and soaking up the bumps and crappy roads, plus with winter tires, its the default choice in the passes around WA State for sure.
Same strategy here. Local suburbs - the MYLR. Long trips/city driving - our plug-in hybrid SUV.

I don't know how folks do these cross country drives with the MY. They can't be truly comfortable?

Read the article. Kia bumped prices by $1K which is the lowest of all the EV makers except maybe Chevy/Bolt.

You fell for the clickbait title :)
Next year’s EV6 will start at $49,795, including a $1,295 destination charge — a 16 percent price hike, or $7,100 more than last year’s model.

Chevy Bolt has a fairly significant perception problem to overcome and arguably remains the best value for a BEV...

Next year’s EV6 will start at $49,795, including a $1,295 destination charge — a 16 percent price hike, or $7,100 more than last year’s model.

Chevy Bolt has a fairly significant perception problem to overcome and arguably remains the best value for a BEV...

Kia deleted the base Light trim. Good riddance because it basically overlapped with the Niro EV.

It's like complaining that Tesla raised Model 3 prices in 2023 if they deleted the RWD trim.

Reactions: finman100
Read through most of this thread.
In fact became a member just so I could post my thoughts lol.

As a very recent buyer of a MYP (paying a total of 70k+ with taxes), the car is worth it to me. People that have said there is currently no comparison with other cars are right. I tested the Ioniq 5 and the EV6. At the end of the day, you are driving a Hyundai and a Kia. Also the EV6 GT that compares to a MYP costs the same. The dealer mark ups are truly insane.
I do think BMW and Mercedes are coming closer, but they lacked the extreme fun factor (aka acceleration) you get with the MYP, not to mention the range and the super charger network.

So is it overpriced? I mean if you got it when it was worth 50-60k, you got a great DEAL. With inflation and everything else taken into account, to me it is still priced correctly (obviously since I bought it).

At the end of the day it is a depreciating asset. But it’s a HELL of a fun ride. I love driving my MYP.

I used to be a BMW fanboy until they started the ridiculous designs, especially the front end (Beaver grill).

0a4255f6-bmw-concept-4-.jpg

images

2ualzcvdgh351.jpg

Kia deleted the base Light trim. Good riddance because it basically overlapped with the Niro EV.

It's like complaining that Tesla raised Model 3 prices in 2023 if they deleted the RWD trim.
Ah got it so the complaint is the previous "entry" model is gone, replaced by something that was previously 6k more, now its 7k more (net $1k increase). Yep they got me :-(

Reactions: voxel
I think the question that I always come up with, why do affordable cars, whether is EV or ICE, have to look really bad? Tesla design language is pretty much the same but you can't deny that it looks good, even if you don't like it, in comparison to other cars, it's at least acceptable.

I wouldn't mind cross shopping other cars that are more affordable but they legit look like lunchboxes. The nicer ones are usually more expensive if not as expensive as a Tesla (Taycan, E-Tron, etc).

Reactions: Zalick and nate704
I think the question that I always come up with, why do affordable cars, whether is EV or ICE, have to look really bad? Tesla design language is pretty much the same but you can't deny that it looks good, even if you don't like it, in comparison to other cars, it's at least acceptable.

I wouldn't mind cross shopping other cars that are more affordable but they legit look like lunchboxes. The nicer ones are usually more expensive if not as expensive as a Tesla (Taycan, E-Tron, etc).
Kia/Hyundai have a decent design language IMO, just not sure how the designs will age.

The Y in any form cannot compete with those SUV's in any category other than performance. Their fit, finish, options and overall build quality is light years ahead.
The Y can compete with their base models as well as the base RDX & Q5. It's not opinion or subjective. It's fact. Look at every other category other than performance and it's undebatable.
And operating costs, especially after 40K miles in the German marquees. Especially considering most of those products require premium gas. Do richer polymers and tighter panel gap integrity matter vs investing those savings in low cost index funds?

The Mercedes AMG GLC63 is about $21K in fuel and maintenance costs per Edmunds over 5 years.

The Tesla Performance Model Y is $7K over the same time period for energy and maintenance costs, again per Edmunds.

Last edited:

design language encourages buyers to favor the more profitable choice

And operating costs, especially after 40K miles in the German marquees. Especially considering most of those products require premium gas. Do richer polymers and tighter panel gap integrity matter vs investing those savings in low cost index funds?

The Mercedes AMG GLC63 is about $21K in fuel and maintenance costs per Edmunds over 5 years.

The Tesla Performance Model Y is $7K over the same time period for energy and maintenance costs, again per Edmunds.
I tried to pull from open API's to help people isolate costs better than ballparks. But last time someone pulled power costs by zip code was a few years ago.
EnergyCalc (pet project after getting tired of doing the math for friends/family haha). They still come back after "How much does it cost to replace the battery pack?" :rolleyes:

• Funny
Reactions: DrGriz
Status
Not open for further replies.