Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y on 100% charge not showing the advertised range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It has been more than an year since I got my model Y and these days when I charge to 100% the range is shown as 290 miles.. I thought it need a recalibration of the battery, but when I spoke to Tesla service rep, he claims that tesla will loose 10% of range after a year or so. Is this true ? he even claims that there was a paper published about this. Is anyone seeing the same ?

I have about 10,000 miles on mine and have had it for 9 months. If I set mine to 100%, it shows 314. So I’ve lost 4 miles of range. I keep my car charged to 90% unless taking it on a road trip, then I set it to 100%.

It has been more than an year since I got my model Y and these days when I charge to 100% the range is shown as 290 miles.. I thought it need a recalibration of the battery, but when I spoke to Tesla service rep, he claims that tesla will loose 10% of range after a year or so. Is this true ? he even claims that there was a paper published about this. Is anyone seeing the same ?
Did he say it would degrade 10% the first year, then less after that? Or did he say 10% per year? Also, how many miles do you have on your Y?

I know there are many threads on this topic, but I've gotta call BS on the info he gave you.

This is pretty common but there is some variability. We‘ve owned ours since Feb with about 11k miles and keep it around 50-70% charge I think we have 320 miles last time I topped it off. From what I understand it usually dips a bit in the first year then stays pretty stable after that.

If it dips below 70% in your first 150k miles it’s a warrantee issue.

Battery degradation is a known issue. I generally say that a Tesla battery will degrade 5% the first year, then about 1% each year after that. It should be a long time before it gets to where it won't charge any higher than 70%, but it will degrade slowly.

We know that running the battery low, like near 10%, or charging up above 90%, will cause more rapid degradation, so most people charge inside that range, some being even more careful and charging between 20% and 80%. Supercharging does not seem to affect degradation, other than the afore mentioned discharging to a low percentage or charging over 90%, although there is evidently a problem with letting the car sit with a high charge even at home. This is why the cars now try to charge up to be full to "leave at 8AM" or some such, so they will start a 4 hour charge cycle at 4AM to be finished by 8AM when it is expected you will stop the charging and go to work, so the car will not sit at full charge.

There is something to the "calibration". The car makes an estimate as to how much charge is left in the battery and then estimates how much range there might be if charged to full, and it's a complicated estimate. Some have found that running the car down to 5% and then charging to 95% lets the car recalibrate, but I've never noticed this on my last 4 Teslas.

And trying to compare that estimate to how many miles you get in your real world personal driving style is hard for Tesla to estimate. It has to go back and check your driving style over the past several dozens to hundreds of miles. Tesla's estimate is based on doing 60 mph steady, and you don't drive that way. I hope.

This is pretty common but there is some variability. We‘ve owned ours since Feb with about 11k miles and keep it around 50-70% charge I think we have 320 miles last time I topped it off. From what I understand it usually dips a bit in the first year then stays pretty stable after that.

If it dips below 70% in your first 150k miles it’s a warrantee issue.
I used to charge 90%.. but lately switched to only charge up to 75%... When I initially got it, the tesla rep said that 90% is good :)

Just watching threads like this, I think we are going to see the 8-10% in the first year on the 2020 model year, but 2021 with the 82kWh battery are going to see much less or close to zero as the extra capacity is being used as a buffer. I never believed that the firmware update that changed the range from 316 to 326 was ever meant for 2020 model year cars. I think this was mean all along for 82kWh cars all along.

Battery degradation is a known issue. I generally say that a Tesla battery will degrade 5% the first year, then about 1% each year after that. It should be a long time before it gets to where it won't charge any higher than 70%, but it will degrade slowly.

We know that running the battery low, like near 10%, or charging up above 90%, will cause more rapid degradation, so most people charge inside that range, some being even more careful and charging between 20% and 80%. Supercharging does not seem to affect degradation, other than the afore mentioned discharging to a low percentage or charging over 90%, although there is evidently a problem with letting the car sit with a high charge even at home. This is why the cars now try to charge up to be full to "leave at 8AM" or some such, so they will start a 4 hour charge cycle at 4AM to be finished by 8AM when it is expected you will stop the charging and go to work, so the car will not sit at full charge.

There is something to the "calibration". The car makes an estimate as to how much charge is left in the battery and then estimates how much range there might be if charged to full, and it's a complicated estimate. Some have found that running the car down to 5% and then charging to 95% lets the car recalibrate, but I've never noticed this on my last 4 Teslas.

And trying to compare that estimate to how many miles you get in your real world personal driving style is hard for Tesla to estimate. It has to go back and check your driving style over the past several dozens to hundreds of miles. Tesla's estimate is based on doing 60 mph steady, and you don't drive that way. I hope.
thank you for the info.. I was not aware of this
"there is evidently a problem with letting the car sit with a high charge even at home" .. What is the recommendation when we go on a long vacation ?

Pretty much mirrors my experience. I have a 2020 Model Y LR AWD and my projected 100% range is 291 miles. I’ve got about 12,000 miles in her.

In the Impact Report, Tesla shows this capacity degradation figure for models S/X
1635988900628.png

Assuming that Model 3/Y degradation is not much worse, 10% degradation would be normal only if you managed to drive 200,000 miles in one year. I have (on 19M3) about 11-12% degradation after 2+ years and I do not see it as normal. Tesla told me to come back if it basically gets to 15%+ of degradation. So far, it holds.

thank you for the info.. I was not aware of this
"there is evidently a problem with letting the car sit with a high charge even at home" .. What is the recommendation when we go on a long vacation ?
Charge and go. Don't let it sit at 100% after charging. I believe I remember this right that when someone asked Elon 70% or 80%, he answered 70%. However, charging to 100% several times a year cannot be a reason for a sudden 10-15% degradation in the first year. There is usually something else going on, a defect, a balancing problem, etc.

MYP 2020, 234 miles range 90%, Maybe 261 at 100%. Tesla said its normal, they ran a remote diagnostic no issues. Go pound sand. Their range is bs. Count on 200 miles and 150 in winter cold. This is why EVs have such a long way to go before they can be accepted. They all bs the range. I wonder if F150 is doing same thing

Reactions: Riguy
MYP 2020, 234 miles range 90%, Maybe 261 at 100%. Tesla said its normal, they ran a remote diagnostic no issues. Go pound sand. Their range is bs. Count on 200 miles and 150 in winter cold. This is why EVs have such a long way to go before they can be accepted. They all bs the range. I wonder if F150 is doing same thing
The F150 Lightning's rated 300 miles is supposed to be with 1000lbs of cargo in the truck bed. Without any cargo, people are expecting it can go closer to 400 miles. The reason Ford did this is because they don't want to advertise a higher range and have people be disappointed when it is lower when people actually try to use the truck like a truck.

My BMS reports a battery capacity of 67.9 kWh. It was supposed to be 77.8 when new.

My lifetime average consumption is 242 Wh/mi, so my real range is 67,900/242 = 281 miles.

My average over winter last year was 259, so my real winter range is 67,900/259 = 262 miles.
20210320_115723.jpg
20211025_151708.jpg

The range is calculated dynamically on your driving habits (aka how often/hard you stomp on the go-pedal), the terrain of the roads you drive on a daily basis as well as the HVAC usage.

For instance, if you drive the speed limit on all roads including the highways, you will gradually see the range numbers improve over time minus the actual battery degradation. At almost 19k miles, my 90% charge has been 280 miles pretty consistently on 20" wheels. If I go to 19" wheels, the range jumps by 10% or so. I try to avoid charging at supercharging stations which accelerates the degradation of battery life.

• Disagree
Reactions: tonyb99 and Yurand