Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y or Used X?

Used model x or new Y

• Used X

Votes: 36 46.8%
  • New Y

Votes: 41 53.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone!

I'm looking into buying my first Tesla. I have 4 kids and need that 3rd row seat. Considering a used model X (can't afford new) or a new model Y early next year with the 3rd row seat. Would love to get some current owners opinions on this decision.

Hello Everyone!

I'm looking into buying my first Tesla. I have 4 kids and need that 3rd row seat. Considering a used model X (can't afford new) or a new model Y early next year with the 3rd row seat. Would love to get some current owners opinions on this decision.

Ah I voted Y before I saw your post. I would personally go for the X if I was trying to fit 4 kids in it. The Y seems like it will be really tight based on YouTubers opinions of the spacing. I guess nobody knows for sure, but that backrow might be super tight for a long trip.

I think they are waiting on the 3rd row because they have something special planned that is going to need some manufacturing tweaks. The third row seats in the Model S were amazing. Wait for the Model Y with the third row seats. When it comes out, go try it out and see if it works for you. If it doesn't, then look for a used Model X.

Brent

Reactions: fparent and Reborn
I voted for X...because I’m partial and own one lol;)...seriously aside from that what are your needs ? Space,range?? Newest technology? ...all those factors should be considered ..that said I love my X but the range sux... the Y with latest technology has faster charging better range etc..

• Informative
Reactions: Reborn and Puma2020
I am in the rather niche group of owners with 4 kids, an OG 2013 P85 S with the rear-facing trunk seats and a 2017 X 6-seater (which replaced a Sienna).

While I cannot comment on the Y 3rd row seats, and while it is possible that Tesla will pull something amazing out of the existing vehicle frame, I would recommend you go for the X, as noted by the above posters. Cargo capacity will indeed be reduced in a 3-row Y.

In case Tesla go with rear-facing seats again on the Y, a few observations from personal experience.

The S trunk child seats were amazing in concept, but in practice they had two main flaws:
(1) There was little to no ventilation for the children sitting there. Even with a heavily tinted trunk window they could get very hot in the summer (cold in winter was not an issue since they are usually dressed to the gills to begin with).
(2) Some children did not tolerate the rear-facing / forward acceleration and got motion sickness. Even in children not prone to this, the poor ventilation often exacerbated it.
- They were also not very comfortable on long trips (impossible to move / stretch), but were fine for short to medium ones.

Obviously now that the kids are older the S again has a cavernous flat trunk, and the X is the family mover, for which it excels.

If you are not in a huge rush you could certainly wait and see what happens with the Y, or get an X now and later trade it in for a Y.

Either way, good luck with your purchase, and stay safe.

If the Y had air suspension, then 100% Model Y. But since you have 4 kids, get the X and save them from getting CTE. The Y is a very harsh ride. If I knew this when ordering the Y, I would have cancelled and settle for a used X. Test driving the Y around inside streets and freeway does not tell you everything about the vehicle. Trust me on this.

If the Y had air suspension, then 100% Model Y. But since you have 4 kids, get the X and save them from getting CTE. The Y is a very harsh ride. If I knew this when ordering the Y, I would have cancelled and settle for a used X. Test driving the Y around inside streets and freeway does not tell you everything about the vehicle. Trust me on this.

Completely agree about the Y's harsh ride, buuuut a pre-Raven X doesn't ride much better either. With four kids and family gear/trips, the X is probably a better choice. Just be prepared for the range hit.

Reactions: NaiWiste
Get an X. Much better with 4 kids. And the Falcon Wing Doors will make the other kids at school will go whoa, cool! Plus there is a lot of space to haul all the stuff kids need.

I own a 5 seat X and the amount of space to haul things is amazing. The 7 seater has similar room. The six-seater is a little more limited because of the second-row seat gap, but prevents kids from hitting each other.

I have 3 children and currently have two minivans. I feel they are luxurious because you can lay down and sleep in the third row. Can't do that in an X. Wife doesn't care and wants an X. Next year, might buy the Y, a used X, or continue with minivans. Would love to see the VW electric minibus come out, or the Chrysler Portal.

I have 3 children and currently have two minivans. I feel they are luxurious because you can lay down and sleep in the third row. Can't do that in an X. Wife doesn't care and wants an X. Next year, might buy the Y, a used X, or continue with minivans. Would love to see the VW electric minibus come out, or the Chrysler Portal.

I know the feeling, as it's hard to not to compare any vehicle to them, so much space and versatile. I don't care for the sliding doors as much as we've had issues with the cables breaking.

Reactions: DanCar
echoing others here, X for the room and Y for the new tech, but didn't see this mentioned here: X if you own a business as that tax write-off is sweet

What new tech? The non existent Dynamic Air Suspension? Smaller single screen? The slower performance numbers? The shorter range? The lower towing capacity? The noisier ride? The lack of Biodefense mode? The lack of extended warranty option? The list goes on and on.