Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance 21" Tires - Larger, More Comfortable Fitment Details and Experience - Michelin AS4's (With Photos)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Resurrecting this summary table based on comments I've been reading. Added Con #3 to the Supersize option based on what a couple of people have said.

I'm really getting sick of my MYP's harsh ride, even with the stocks underinflated, but I'm very undecided about going with the Upsize or Supersize option. I only have 3.5k miles on my stocks but I can't wait for them to wear out. Has anyone actually had seat time with both options above? I saw just one guy reported that he hated how the steering felt with the Supersize option...the rest of you with 265/40s up front, do you feel it's significantly impacted the steering sharpness?

The other factor in the back of my mind is Juniper...if it's worlds better in terms of ride, the way the new 3 is, I may eat the depreciation and trade up. Can't wait for some of you with the 40s to go test drive Juniper when it comes out and see how much better it is compared to your upgraded tires.

Jupiter might be 12 months away in the USA
Long time to fix unhappiness

Back to your current state, something is not right
My wife and I share a MYP 21s at 42 psi on ok roads
Either you are over sensitive (no offense) coming from a very cushy lux vehicle before
Or you live in rhe area with the worst roads

😵‍💫

Hi guys,

Just to report back that I switched back to the OEM tires and size.
This whole “larger tires” thing is bogus.
The handling is worse, comfort is worse due to the higher unsprung mass of the larger tires, car looses is quick corenering ability and plus in my case with a lot of highway driving I lost around 12% of range.
The look of soso higher side wall in my eyes is meeh.
I spend $2,200ish and 5 times at tire shops to change back and forth plus balancing.
Of cores I thought initially ok, I run bigger tires on Jeep’s and my Trucks all the time, why not.
Tesla’s and probably all modern cars are so dialed in that changes in geometry or weight has a much bigger impact than we consumers could possibly know.
Not even talking about damages to suspension, steering and bearings due to the higher weight of larger tires and the higher resistance while driving.

My recommendation, save your money and move on from this glorified thread here. Its BS.

Mike

Last edited:
Hi guys,

The handling is worse, comfort is worse due to the higher unsprung mass of the larger tires, car looses is quick corenering ability and plus in my case with a lot of highway driving I lost around 12% of range.
I spend $2,200ish and 5 times at tire shops to change back and forth plus balancing.
Of cores I thought initially ok, I run bigger tires on Jeep’s and my Trucks all the time, why not.
Tesla’s and probably all modern cars are so dialed in that changes in geometry or weight has a much bigger impact than we consumers could possibly know.
Not even talking about damages to suspension, steering and bearings due to the higher weight of larger tires and the higher resistance while driving.

My recommendation, save your money and move on from this glorified thread here. Its BS.

Mike
OK, but can you tell us which sizes you tried? There are a lot of sizes being discussed here.

While the larger tires will certainly weigh more, and I believe that the handling doesn't feel as sharp, I have a hard time believing that the ride is worse. A much larger sidewall is almost certainly going to overcome the relatively minor change in weight from the stock tire size to the bigger ones.

All that said...I'm seriously considering some 20" lightweight wheels instead of trying this oversized tire thing. I just wish I could actually experience them on someone else's vehicle before making the decision.

OK, but can you tell us which sizes you tried? There are a lot of sizes being discussed here.

While the larger tires will certainly weigh more, and I believe that the handling doesn't feel as sharp, I have a hard time believing that the ride is worse. A much larger sidewall is almost certainly going to overcome the relatively minor change in weight from the stock tire size to the bigger ones.

All that said...I'm seriously considering some 20" lightweight wheels instead of trying this oversized tire thing. I just wish I could actually experience them on someone else's vehicle before making the decision.
Whenever I start having similar thinking, I imagine myself explaining some minimal tire\suspension upgrade to a non-car person. The response is something like "you're spending thousands of dollars for an inch? (Or some other possible miniscule benefit)"

Really, you won't feed much difference in changing the wheel size one inch. You might feel a difference in tire type - say from summers to winters, but that's not really what folks are talking about in this thread.

Fwiw, when my stock tires are done, I plan on 275\35-21 up front and 275\35-21 in back for a bit of rash guard.

Good luck.

Reactions: suny

I have started with 265/45R21 Front and 295/45R21 Rear and the 275/35R21 Front and 295/35R21 Rear.
All with the Michelin Pilot Sport AS

Going the smaller wheel route makes more sense. But the OEM setup is working fine.
I use the Tesla as daily commuter to run 90-150 mls a day and honestly I was tired sitting at tire shops to now also play with new wheels and tires in different sizes besides my screen time.

I wanted to post this so people can have 2. Thoughts before spending thousands of dollars for beefier tires which at the end makes no sense.

I have started with 265/45R21 Front and 295/45R21 Rear and the 275/35R21 Front and 295/35R21 Rear.
All with the Michelin Pilot Sport AS

Going the smaller wheel route makes more sense. But the OEM setup is working fine.
I use the Tesla as daily commuter to run 90-150 mls a day and honestly I was tired sitting at tire shops to now also play with new wheels and tires in different sizes besides my screen time.

I wanted to post this so people can have 2. Thoughts before spending thousands of dollars for beefier tires which at the end makes no sense.
What was wrong with the 275/35R21 Front and 295/35R21 Rear setup?

What was wrong with the 275/35R21 Front and 295/35R21 Rear setup?
The Handling was not is quick and sharp, issues with balancing as you feel the tire-mass on fron wheels at 75mph plus and still ~12-15% los on a charge for my daily driving with highways.
I would have expected better handling and cornering do to the larger footprint but it is not happening.

I still have 2 295/35R21 for sale.

• Informative
Reactions: Noflash
Great post. Just picked up my 275/40/R21's today. The extra height on the tire was exactly what was looking for. I too got the Michelin's and paid 1,800. Praying that they last 70k miles like they are rated at. But the ride is so much smoother. Best money ever spent.

Reactions: Raurele
Great post. Just picked up my 275/40/R21's today. The extra height on the tire was exactly what was looking for. I too got the Michelin's and paid 1,800. Praying that they last 70k miles like they are rated at. But the ride is so much smoother. Best money ever spent.
What do you think about the handling feel? Is it now much more vague/sloppy if you’re trying to carve corners like some others have reported?

There is zero difference. My fronts are 255/40/21's and rears are 275/40/21's. So the only change I made from OEM was going from a 35 to 40. I was looking for a softer ride where I wouldn't feel every twig or crack I ran over. Mission accomplished.

First thing i knew i wanted was beefier tires to protect the wheels and improve ride comfort
I moved the rear to the front and installed 295/35/21 on the rear. View attachment 854485View attachment 854486View attachment 854482
looks great! Are you running spacers too? I did the same thing but I'm runiing spacers, and i get a little rubbing in the rear from time to time. But my rear wheels have a slight "poke' now.. I actually like the look though!

Hi guys,

Mike
Youre basically the only person who has thought that. You do you.

Reactions: ElectricAnt54
You'll get around 35k miles. The 70k is not honored by Michelin or any tire place when there is a staggered stance. they will honor 50% (35K). I already looked into this.

Whenever I start having similar thinking, I imagine myself explaining some minimal tire\suspension upgrade to a non-car person. The response is something like "you're spending thousands of dollars for an inch? (Or some other possible miniscule benefit)"

Really, you won't feed much difference in changing the wheel size one inch. You might feel a difference in tire type - say from summers to winters, but that's not really what folks are talking about in this thread.

Fwiw, when my stock tires are done, I plan on 275\35-21 up front and 275\35-21 in back for a bit of rash guard.

Good luck.
cost doesnt really matter... the price of the tires is basically the same with 35/40

Reactions: Noflash
if you see the MYP rear stance, the wheel/tires lean-in for handling purposes
best rotation idea I heard recently, due to this lean-in and the inside wear of the tires, is to not only rotate side to side, but to actually have the tire remounted moving the wear edge to the outside, effectively enabling longer wear time for the rear tires

great idea and will do on my next rotation

Hi guys,

Mike

i'm not sure the 12% loss in range is accurate...there is a loss but overall hasn't changed my overall drive. i have around 7k miles on this setup.

Yes, tires are heavier, and handling has changed...if you're looking to race etc then yes this setup is not for you.

comfort is a huge improvement.