Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance - Track Mode

Will there ever be Track Mode for Model Y Performance?

• Yes - In 2022

Votes: 56 37.1%
  • Not gonna happen

Votes: 65 43.0%
  • I don't have a performance, therefore, I don't care

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • What is track mode?

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Maybe when there is a like for like competitor

Votes: 19 12.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm 70 so my track days are over, would I love to wake up one morning and see an OTA update that included Track Mode sure call it CACHE at car shows. I would love to be able to set up a dedicated WINTER MODE if allowed.

I know the M3 has it, so most of the R&D is already done and paid for so the big question is how much would it actually cost Tesla to tweak it for the Y?

Looking at track mode on a model 3, it gives you more sensor data to look at, and turns control of torque bias, traction control, and whatnot over to the driver.... the programing already exists and would be pretty simple to port over to the Y with very little to zero new research and development. They don't do it because it is not the priority... Tesla's priority is polishing the turd known as FSD beta.

Phantom braking was ignored in vision only cars for almost a year, then NHTSA starts an investigation and PB is fixed virtually over night. We can't get the NHTSA involved in trying to get track mode, so don't hold your breath.

Keith

The tracks I've gone to prohibit SUVs... The MY does have a lower CG than most SUVs, but you'd have to convince the management it'd be safe.

Maybe that's just tracks by me. if you're serious about tracking your tesla, you'd probably have a sedan or roadster.
My friend took his Porache Cayenne to Brainerd International Raceway [in Minnesota] and raced it. Likewise, I took my MYLR there and they had no problem with the fact that it was an SUV or that it was a BEV. I suppose every track is different.

Still patiently waiting for a track, launch, or snow mode for my MYP.

Come on papa Elon, make it happen!!
I would settle for a snow mode at this point. As much as I would love to see a track mode for the MYP, I'm not even sure how much I'd use it on a track. If I'm not mistaken, when track mode is on, the battery cooling is running at full blast right? Or at least more than normal. I've taken the MYP to a local track 3 times so far and I'm finding that as I improve and drive faster, my time on the track is shrinking because I'm using up the battery at a higher rate. I think using track mode would cut that track time down even further. I guess what I really need is a supercharger built next to the track!

I would settle for a snow mode at this point. As much as I would love to see a track mode for the MYP, I'm not even sure how much I'd use it on a track. If I'm not mistaken, when track mode is on, the battery cooling is running at full blast right? Or at least more than normal. I've taken the MYP to a local track 3 times so far and I'm finding that as I improve and drive faster, my time on the track is shrinking because I'm using up the battery at a higher rate. I think using track mode would cut that track time down even further. I guess what I really need is a supercharger built next to the track!
Agreed. I took my MYLR to the track and one of my instructors drove it and Holy Lap Times Batman! He sucked the battery down about 40% in 10 minutes! I was in the passenger seat and, well, think about the scene in Ford vs Ferrari where Shelby takes Henry Ford II for a ride around the track.... I didn't sh!t my pants but I did close my eyes around a few turns...
Anyway, I would eventually like track mode for my MYP (sold the MYLR) FWIW.

Reactions: gx9901
The tracks I've gone to prohibit SUVs... The MY does have a lower CG than most SUVs, but you'd have to convince the management it'd be safe.

Maybe that's just tracks by me. if you're serious about tracking your tesla, you'd probably have a sedan or roadster.
There must be something about the style of the Model Y that doesn't look like an SUV where the events I have been to they let it ride.
I must warn you though that this racing stuff is addicting. I've also been through my share of tires. Going today to swap out some fronts again.

1663947478044.png

1663947539194.png

I wonder if Tesla will need a few wake-up calls before Elon offers some PERFORMANCE enhancements? Up until now, Tesla has been the BIG DOG on the EV block. But competition is coming and if Tesla wants to keep that status they might have to relent and turn up the heat a notch or two.

But since my track days are over I'm not clamoring for a Track Mode. But a drop in 0 to 60 times would be nice.

I wonder if Tesla will need a few wake-up calls before Elon offers some PERFORMANCE enhancements? Up until now, Tesla has been the BIG DOG on the EV block. But competition is coming and if Tesla wants to keep that status they might have to relent and turn up the heat a notch or two.

But since my track days are over I'm not clamoring for a Track Mode. But a drop in 0 to 60 times would be nice.
Tesla will release a faster MY in 2023 as competition such GV60 Performance and Ioniq 5 N have caught up. The Model Y Performance got smoked in a drag race against the GV60.

Unfortunately the current motors are already pushed to their max so there's no way to upgrade them with a software update. My bet is a Model Y Performance with 550-600 HP next year.

The first time I lose to a Rivian R1T from a stop light is the second I'll need a performance boost!!!!!! Oh I'll be mad. :D
I didn’t realize the R1T was faster than the Model Y Performance. Hell it appears both the R1T (truck) and R1S (suv) are faster than the MYP.

Yeah come on Tesla. Take the crown back. There has to be something left in the “tank” to make these cars a little bit quicker.

lets goooooo lets hope its true this time Tesla Model Y track mode is coming
It would be cool if it's actually true this time. I would like to know how much extra energy it takes to run track mode though. I took my MYP to the track 4 times this year. They provide seven 20-minute sessions. I think my battery was able to last into the 6th session my first time there. By the 4th time, I was only able to get partially into the 5th session before having to leave because I was pushing the car a lot harder compared to my first time there. If a track mode sucks up some significant energy, I might not want to use it too much at the track since I already couldn't take advantage of all the available sessions as-is.

That said, PLEASE GIVE US THE TRACK MODE!

Reactions: BMWY and Daekwan
Tesla will release a faster MY in 2023 as competition such GV60 Performance and Ioniq 5 N have caught up. The Model Y Performance got smoked in a drag race against the GV60.

Unfortunately the current motors are already pushed to their max so there's no way to upgrade them with a software update. My bet is a Model Y Performance with 550-600 HP next year.
Source on the motors being maxed out? Everything I've heard in the past is that they are anywhere from 75-85% capacity, far from maxed.

Reactions: tkram82 and BMWY
I hate to be the glass half empty guy here - but the fact that Elon said "this is harder than it sounds" makes me think we won't be getting it very soon or likely at all. They obviously found some kind of stumbling block along the way that they are having issues overcoming.