Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Performance - Track Mode

Will there ever be Track Mode for Model Y Performance?

• Yes - In 2022

Votes: 56 37.1%
  • Not gonna happen

Votes: 65 43.0%
  • I don't have a performance, therefore, I don't care

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • What is track mode?

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Maybe when there is a like for like competitor

Votes: 19 12.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Out of curiosity...

Edit: Like for like competitor is biased. I feel like there is no real competitor in that vehicle class. Ford Mache GT-Perf is the closest thing but its 10 second max performance keeps it from actually competing on the track.

Last edited:
For the folks that are voting not gonna happen...why do y'all feel that way? Any news/data on it that leads you to believe that or just an assumption?
It is an assumptions based on how easy it would be to do. They could virtually do a direct port of the M3P software over to the MYP and they have not done it, therefore they have no plans to do it. Much more important to make it so you can change the color of your car in the on screen display!!!

In reality they only care about trying to get FSD Beta to work, nobody gives a crap about promises Elon made it a tweet. Twitter posts are not binding contracts.

Keith

Reactions: yeafoshizzle
I think it will happen.

Tesla is incredibly weird about adding software features. Look at things like the waypoints for navigation.. or finally using the side cameras for blind-spot monitoring. These were both incredibly easy software additions that should have been on every Tesla.. like 5 years ago.. instead, they were both added in just what? The past what 3 months?

But we do have farts.. and they keep adding video games!

As someone else pointed out, most Model Y's aren't hitting the track. So track mode is definitely isn't a high priority, on their software release train. That said, if you are selling a "Performance" vehicle.. then it's no excuse for that vehicle not to have specific modes that allow for maximum performance. If I had to guess, I would say it gets added in the next year or two.

The 4680 MYP should be significantly quicker thanks to the 300-400lb weight loss from switching to the new structured battery. I'm guessing 0-60 in the 3.1 seconds.. 3 seconds or less if they get rid of the heavy 21" Ultraturbines. Handling & braking should also increase significantly. Seems like the perfect time to add a specific track mode.. that's sorely missing.

Last edited:
How would you all feel about a track mode.... BUT you could only engage it when you were actually at a real track. GPS Locked. Nissan had done this in the past with their highest performing cars. This would allow track mode, but keep the "SUV crashes into parked cars at 170 mph" stories out of the news.

Reactions: yeafoshizzle
How would you all feel about a track mode.... BUT you could only engage it when you were actually at a real track. GPS Locked. Nissan had done this in the past with their highest performing cars. This would allow track mode, but keep the "SUV crashes into parked cars at 170 mph" stories out of the news.

One of the reasons I want "track mode" is so I can make my own "home brew snow mode" setup in track mode... this would be useless if it were only available at a race track.

Keith

I think it will happen.

Tesla is incredibly weird about adding software features. Look at things like the waypoints for navigation.. or finally using the side cameras for blind-spot monitoring. These were both incredibly easy software additions that should have been on every Tesla.. like 5 years ago.. instead, they were both added in just what? The past what 3 months?

But we do have farts.. and they keep adding video games!

As someone else pointed out, most Model Y's aren't hitting the track. So track mode is definitely isn't a high priority, on their software release train. That said, if you are selling a "Performance" vehicle.. then it's no excuse for that vehicle not to have specific modes that allow for maximum performance. If I had to guess, I would say it gets added in the next year or two.

The 4680 MYP should be significantly quicker thanks to the 300-400lb weight loss from switching to the new structured battery. I'm guessing 0-60 in the 3.1 seconds.. 3 seconds or less if they get rid of the heavy 21" Ultraturbines. Handling & braking should also increase significantly. Seems like the perfect time to add a specific track mode.. that's sorely missing.
The tracks I've gone to prohibit SUVs... The MY does have a lower CG than most SUVs, but you'd have to convince the management it'd be safe.

Maybe that's just tracks by me. if you're serious about tracking your tesla, you'd probably have a sedan or roadster.

Reactions: tmruwart
Been waiting since Nov 2020, not going to happen. I would be happy with a launch mode and a RWD only mode, with the option to disable traction control o_O

Let’s be real, a snow mode makes more sense.
We should really have some options like this. Such a capable car but so much fun and functionality is unavailable because TC is always there. Slip Start is better than nothing, but not that much better 😢

I think every car they sell should have the ability to minimize TC. More than Slip Start but not completely as there's just too much instant torque. I also think every car should be able to pay to unlock some version of track mode. I'm sure that tuning it for all the different models would not be an easy task, but I'd be willing to pay and I bet a lot of folks would as well. Of course it doesn't really matter what I think but I keep on thinking and hoping 😁

I wouldn't be interested in this tbh. I'd pay a good chunk of money for track mode on a non-performance tesla, but I'd want to use it when it's wet/snowy and safe to get a little loose, like in remote (non track) areas when there are no cars around. Same thing folks have been doing in empty parking lots at night for decades 😉

Reactions: Tha_Ape
Elon said track mode coming to all.
Are you referring to the february 2022 tweet saying "ok" when someone asked if track mode or TC disable could come with the Acceleration Boost upgrade for Model 3/Y? If not, and there are more/newer references to track mode for non-performance/plaid models, I'd love to get a link or more details. I'm always hoping for track mode for my non-performance model 3...🙏

I'm 70 so my track days are over, would I love to wake up one morning and see an OTA update that included Track Mode sure call it CACHE at car shows. I would love to be able to set up a dedicated WINTER MODE if allowed.

I know the M3 has it, so most of the R&D is already done and paid for so the big question is how much would it actually cost Tesla to tweak it for the Y?