Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Range LR Vs Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Put it in context. Neither of these is a race car. If you bought either of these to race, you bought the wrong car. Neither of these is even close to the M3P in performance. Hell, the M3 LR with boost would be a good match up for the MYP in a straight line.

The point is, the MYP has an early lead but his MY LR clearly was making up some of that time. It just comes back to the MYP's performance is biased for the initial acceleration off the line. After that it clearly flattens out. It is not some amazing supercar. If you want to compare one magazine tests, look at C&D's tests for both cars.

Yes, the MYP beat the stock MY LR 0-60 and in the 1/4. Look a bit deeper and the MY LR beat the MYP to 130 mph by almost 0.6 seconds. So obviously the MYP was being ran down at higher speeds by the lowly LR. So maybe dig a bit deeper in your brain and think about this for a moment. The MYP gave up a pretty significant lead and was being out accelerated by the base MY LR. I would like to know why that is happening if I had a MYP. It is supposed to have about a 50 HP advantage (or possibly more) and if there is any place it should able to continue to show that you would think at high speeds.

Maybe you feel the need to impress someone with how quick your car is. I don't know. I look at the data and see where it leads me. I have considerably quicker vehicles than the MYP its slightly quicker time 0-60 didn't really matter to me given the premium asked for it. If it somehow empowered you, or made you feel good to drive a MYP, good for you. I never felt the need to impress anyone by what I drive.

Looks like I struck a nerve. :) Pretty sure I said nothing about impressing anyone, that’s all you.

Wow, that was your takeaway from that post. It was about the performance, that supposedly you care about as a RACER. Well maybe you aren't but who cares. No need to waste any more time with you.
It’s just weird that you say the car Is not a race car, then proceed to compare the two at 130 MPH. Seriously, I was just pointing out that the two are very different speed wise and that one shouldn’t discount a .5 second difference. It’s a lot. That’s it. Somehow that became me needing to impress people and buying the wrong car, yada, yada. Really just sounds like you’re justifying your decision. Just like me. I think 1/2 second is worth it, you don’t. I just want people to realize that 1/2 second is a lot. It is. That’s it. I even tried to do it in a light way. I’m not sure why my post was offensive to you.

Model Y Long Range vs Performance
If you are coming from a BMW, MB, Audi, Dodge, or any ICE vehicle, the Model Y Long Range will blow your mind.
Don't drive the Performance and you will be thrilled with the LR.
The LR is the smarter, more practical answer.

If you can afford the Model Y Performance, drive them back to back.
If the Performance puts a smile on your face that won't go away, get the Performance.

For us, we would have been happy with the Model 3 AWD if we had just never driven a Performance.
When we added the Model Y, there was no looking back.
I have since driven a Model Y LR for 4 days. It just made me miss the Performance.

There is no logical reason for buying either Performance model.
It's just that three years later, every time I touch the accelerator in either Performance, I can't help but smile.

Good run. Have you checked your 0-60 Darmie? It would be interesting to see. With your 12.9 run, you are closing the gap on a MYP at the end compared to what the cars do comparatively 0-60. C&D said their MYP ran a 12.1. If the gap 0-60 is LR 4.8 vs P 3.7 sec (no rollout) that equates to a 1.1 second advantage early one. By the end of the 1/4, are only .8 seconds behind and very close to the same trap speed.

C/D TEST RESULTS
60 mph: 3.6 sec
1/4-Mile: 12.1 sec @ 113 mph

Obviously with your 980 motor you have some good options if you don't care about warranty.
No 0-60.
YES, yes. I've been procrastinating on that option 😉 but really can't wait. When that happens, I'll just get me the big plaid emblem to mount on the back.

So the differences are:

Wheels/tires
Motor?
Red brake calipers
Rear carbon spoiler?

Anything else?

I thought the suspension is claimed to be different "slightly lower" as well. For the current price diff of only 5k, if you are even considering the Acceleration Boost, you might as well go for Performance. The way I see this is:

-Better acceleration
-Better resale
-You get the better looking wheels included (swap the tires out if you are in the snowy climate - you can resell the pirellis for 800-900)
-Calipers (larger brakes), spoiler

Do some people prefer the geminis or more subtle look? Sure, I get it, but the value proposition between the current MYLR and MYP is a no brainer for the MYP, especially if you can get it relatively sooner (end of 21), vs waiting potentially until april 22 for the 5k difference. Even though the MYP uberturbines are "boat anchors" and they may slow you down a tick vs other offerings and slightly less efficient, who cares? They look is amazing, the value holds better and you are driving something that can potentially get a surprise upgrade from Elon to maintain the Performance performance variants, as the top vehicles on the road.

Don't worry... All he does is write about how a LR > P.
All I know is that guy actually shows data. He's put the hours in, bought dragy, and has some useful insight (IMHO).

What I'd really like to see are a couple of races. Three cars with the same state of charge: MYLR, MYLR+AB, and MYP. Do 1/4mi run side by side as a baseline. Then do a 30-70 (or whatever) run. Selfishly, I'd like to see a MYLR7+AB, just to see how much that extra 100ish pounds plays a role.

The 1/4 mi is easy to see who wins... no questions, no debate, its the 30-70 (or 100) that sounds like the one people need to see side-by-side and would stop a lot of debates (or would it start them?!?).

Reactions: eCharcoal
So the differences are:

Wheels/tires
Motor?
Red brake calipers
Rear carbon spoiler?

Anything else?

I thought the suspension is claimed to be different "slightly lower" as well. For the current price diff of only 5k, if you are even considering the Acceleration Boost, you might as well go for Performance. The way I see this is:

-Better acceleration
-Better resale
-You get the better looking wheels included (swap the tires out if you are in the snowy climate - you can resell the pirellis for 800-900)
-Calipers (larger brakes), spoiler

Do some people prefer the geminis or more subtle look? Sure, I get it, but the value proposition between the current MYLR and MYP is a no brainer for the MYP, especially if you can get it relatively sooner (end of 21), vs waiting potentially until april 22 for the 5k difference. Even though the MYP uberturbines are "boat anchors" and they may slow you down a tick vs other offerings and slightly less efficient, who cares? They look is amazing, the value holds better and you are driving something that can potentially get a surprise upgrade from Elon to maintain the Performance performance variants, as the top vehicles on the road.

Also,

-Different (better?) headlights
-Increased top speed (which you will never use, hopefully)
-Aluminum pedals

Yes, ride height is lowered as well. I think by approx. 1 inch.

Also,

-Different (better?) headlights
-Increased top speed (which you will never use, hopefully)
-Aluminum pedals

Yes, ride height is lowered as well. I think by approx. 1 inch.
The difference in the suspsion is not just ride height. The LR can only manage .86g on the skidpad whereas the Performance hits .95g on the skidpad. Put into context the Performace leads the class in skidpad. I should note that ,86g for the LR is pretty freaking good, not many sport suvs are at that level. The Performance hitting .95g is insane.

I think that is not correct... Can you cite your source?
I do not have the source. It is difficult to find this spec. I originally read some place that the PMY was 1 inch lower. Someone who knew stated that this was incorrect, that the PMY was 1cm lower, not 1 inch low. Evidently when lowering suspensions 1 inch is a huge change, 1cm lower would be typical of a performance suspension.

The difference in the suspsion is not just ride height. The LR can only manage .86g on the skidpad whereas the Performance hits .95g on the skidpad. Put into context the Performace leads the class in skidpad. I should note that ,86g for the LR is pretty freaking good, not many sport suvs are at that level. The Performance hitting .95g is insane.
That is due mostly to the summer tires vs. the all season on the LR. Car and Driver had them at .88g vs .94g. If you are exceeding the lateral acceleration capabilities of the MY LR, probably shouldn't be doing it on the street. The MYP stopped 7' shorter than the LR from 70 mph. That clearly isn't the brakes but most likely tires again.

As for how much lower, I've read 1/2" somewhere else but can't find it now. That is just a touch more than 1 cm so that seems close. Car and driver has the MYP as .6" shorter.

At this point w/ the price difference, if I was buying now I would go Performance model.

When I was purchasing earlier this year, there was a 10k difference and I ended up going LR.

One thing to keep in mind(might have already been mentioned) is if you live in a an area with Winter you will want to invest in another set of wheels and tires. Depending on your taste, that could run you another $2500+.

I would say that you'll likely be happy with either one.

I have done a lot of instrumented runs using Dragy between several MYPs and my MY LR with AB. Keep in mind my LR is the 7 seater so is heavier. I set Dragy up to do measure a bunch of scenarios including 30-50, 50-70 and 30-70 mph. The times were pretty much identical between my boosted LR and the 3 different MYPs I ran. Basically about 3.1-3.2 seconds 30-70 mph. That is also what Car and Driver got for their MYP as well.

That stat alone was why I didn't bother buying the MYP. Where the performance matters the most to me, the boosted LR is as fast as the MYP. I think the difference was like 7k or 9k when I ordered so no reason at all to go with the MYP. Since the price is closer, and more importantly for me shorter lead times, I'd go with the MYP if I had to do it over again.