Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y RWD now available. RWD+AWD now eligible for iZEV Rebate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
how do you know the tint from Tesla doesn’t offer any UV protection?
I have read on a reddit discussion that the glass is not tinted, it’s actually stained. This is why it doesn’t provide any additional UV protection, whereas the glass roof does. This explains why Tesla lists the glass roof with uv protection as a feature but doesn’t list any UV protection for the rear windows.

Attachments

• IMG_1812.jpeg
    IMG_1812.jpeg
    171.4 KB · Views: 75
Is anyone considering the switch from the Model Y RWD to the Model 3 AWD? $2,500 difference if you order an inventory car... Can't really find a reason not to make the switch. A second motor/zippier, longer range, cheaper maintenance (eg. tires). Only downsides I can think of are, more cost up front, smaller vehicle, soon-to-be outdated with Highland being imminent...

Reactions: LeFrankeh
Is anyone considering the switch from the Model Y RWD to the Model 3 AWD? $2,500 difference if you order an inventory car... Can't really find a reason not to make the switch. A second motor/zippier, longer range, cheaper maintenance (eg. tires). Only downsides I can think of are, more cost up front, smaller vehicle, soon-to-be outdated with Highland being imminent...
If I didn't have two kids under two, I would go model 3 AWD.

We just switched after 3 years of Model 3 to a Model Y and the biggest difference is the space you get. If you don’t need that then I’d get the M3 LR!

Reactions: Sky liner
For those of you from Vancouver how soon did you receive an update for VIN and delivery date for your order before the pick up date? Last week I've called them and the rep told me the car will arrive on June 6 and ready for pick up June 8. He emailed me the VIN as well but until now nothing inside my order except order number and estimated delivery date of June 5 - 15. Thanks!

I have read on a reddit discussion that the glass is not tinted, it’s actually stained. This is why it doesn’t provide any additional UV protection, whereas the glass roof does. This explains why Tesla lists the glass roof with uv protection as a feature but doesn’t list any UV protection for the rear windows.
This isn't accurate. ALL of the glass offers UV protection. You'd be hard-pressed to find any modern automotive glass that doesn't.

Only the roof provides IR (heat) protection from the factory.

Dyed window tint on side windows is for looks. If you tint your windows with dyed tint (or have dyed glass) and have your arm beside the glass you can still feel it getting warm from the IR getting through.

Ceramic window tint provides some level of IR protection and will help with feeling the heat from the sun. You can have a much lighter shade of ceramic window tint and have a much more dramatic increase in thermal comfort vs a darker dyed film.

Any glass roofed car, ceramic tinted and/or IR resistant or not, will still heat up when parked in the sun. Not all IR is blocked, so some heat gets in and fishbowl effect heats of the interior from there. IR resistant glass and ceramic tint will make that process take longer - so leaving and coming back to the car in relatively shorter time frames won't give as much of a shock. Ceramic tint can also reduce AC load while driving as once the interior is brought to temp it doesn't have to work as hard to maintain that condition while driving.

For those of you from Vancouver how soon did you receive an update for VIN and delivery date for your order before the pick up date? Last week I've called them and the rep told me the car will arrive on June 6 and ready for pick up June 8. He emailed me the VIN as well but until now nothing inside my order except order number and estimated delivery date of June 5 - 15. Thanks!
It seems that you don’t have your delivery date confirmed by the service centre. My car is scheduled to arrive at the Oakville delivery centre on Saturday June 10 and my delivery date of June 11 is displayed on the order page.

This isn't accurate. ALL of the glass offers UV protection. You'd be hard-pressed to find any modern automotive glass that doesn't.

Only the roof provides IR (heat) protection from the factory.

Dyed window tint on side windows is for looks. If you tint your windows with dyed tint (or have dyed glass) and have your arm beside the glass you can still feel it getting warm from the IR getting through.

Ceramic window tint provides some level of IR protection and will help with feeling the heat from the sun. You can have a much lighter shade of ceramic window tint and have a much more dramatic increase in thermal comfort vs a darker dyed film.

Any glass roofed car, ceramic tinted and/or IR resistant or not, will still heat up when parked in the sun. Not all IR is blocked, so some heat gets in and fishbowl effect heats of the interior from there. IR resistant glass and ceramic tint will make that process take longer - so leaving and coming back to the car in relatively shorter time frames won't give as much of a shock. Ceramic tint can also reduce AC load while driving as once the interior is brought to temp it doesn't have to work as hard to maintain that condition while driving.
Correct and the model 3 windows are rated 2 on the uv scale so protection is very very good

I got my VIN 1 week before it was available in Vancouver (this was a MYLR from Fremont). I waited another week for them to bring it over to Victoria although they gave me the option of picking it up in Vancouver once it got there.

The only way I figured out I had a VIN was I got an email saying final payment was due (even though you can, and should, wait to pay after inspection on delivery day). After receiving that email I found an MVPA in my account that had the VIN. I didn't see the VIN show up in the app or in my account till a few days later.

Check if you have the MVPA document in your account now. But since the rep gave you your VIN now it doesn't really matter.

I got my VIN 1 week before it was available in Vancouver (this was a MYLR from Fremont). I waited another week for them to bring it over to Victoria although they gave me the option of picking it up in Vancouver once it got there.

The only way I figured out I had a VIN was I got an email saying final payment was due (even though you can, and should, wait to pay after inspection on delivery day). After receiving that email I found an MVPA in my account that had the VIN. I didn't see the VIN show up in the app or in my account till a few days later.

Check if you have the MVPA document in your account now. But since the rep gave you your VIN now it doesn't really matter.
Thanks! MVPA isn't available in the account yet. I will try to check with the delivery team again today.

Took delivery of my car today. Process was pretty simple, and I found my car has good build quality and no defects that I’ve found. The suspension is a bit stiff (like others have said about Teslas), but overall the ride quality is nice. The torque off the line is responsive, but not as jarring and impressive as the LR and Performance are. Speed feels similar to other similar motor spec EVs I’ve test driven (Kona EV, Chevy Bolt EUV)

For those in BC, the provincial rebate is applied the day of delivery, and all forms are finalized that day as well.

Tesla Vision isn’t the greatest, and unfortunately Autosteer went much too close to the curb and curbed my rims, which is no fun. Thankfully no damage to the tire or sidewalls. I don’t feel confident using Autosteer for the time being.

Hard to tell how range will be considering it is the first day and it was calibrating for quite some time. Car came nearly fully charged (98%)

ICBC still does not have a set rate for the RWD Model Y, so they are using a temporary quote for now, which is subject to change within 3 months, once ICBC knows more about the car. Hoping that my insurance does not get any more expensive.

Got a 2 and 4 years old kids in a 3 RWD. What's the issue ?
I'm 6'3, wife is 5"11. Haven't tested the 3. But we went with the Y RWD because it offers more space, which we always need. We often go on weekend trips and bringing luggage, strollers, bags and cooler. Pretty sure we could have manage with the 3, but for the same price, the Y was a more complete package for us.

Edit: Also, tow hitch on the Y which allow us to bring bikes with us.

Took delivery of my car today. Process was pretty simple, and I found my car has good build quality and no defects that I’ve found. The suspension is a bit stiff (like others have said about Teslas), but overall the ride quality is nice. The torque off the line is responsive, but not as jarring and impressive as the LR and Performance are. Speed feels similar to other similar motor spec EVs I’ve test driven (Kona EV, Chevy Bolt EUV)

For those in BC, the provincial rebate is applied the day of delivery, and all forms are finalized that day as well.

Tesla Vision isn’t the greatest, and unfortunately Autosteer went much too close to the curb and curbed my rims, which is no fun. Thankfully no damage to the tire or sidewalls. I don’t feel confident using Autosteer for the time being.

Hard to tell how range will be considering it is the first day and it was calibrating for quite some time. Car came nearly fully charged (98%)

ICBC still does not have a set rate for the RWD Model Y, so they are using a temporary quote for now, which is subject to change within 3 months, once ICBC knows more about the car. Hoping that my insurance does not get any more expensive.
Weird our autosteer is pretty good on our 3 but you have to keep watching for it because sometimes it has his own mind. Ex: Exit on a Highway where lines are non existent.

Reactions: Esan na
I’ve used Autosteer on three different teslas, once on a road trip from Toronto to Montreal and back, and they’ve been fine for me, the only issues I had is when lane marking aren’t clearly visible as @Ther0ck mentioned. Maybe you should get the system checked out by Tesla service!

For those who have received delivery, I have read a new twist on FB.

There has been reports that the rear seats "are NOT extended-version with additional 30cm".
Not sure what that is but does anyone have any clue? Planning to order custom mats and this could be a potential curveball for fitment

Edit: Nvm, it looks like the rear seats of MY RWD are 30 cm shallower than MYLR. Aka the bottoms of both side rear seats are in-line with the middle seat compared with MYLR

Last edited: