Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y spare tire?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just wish the rear underfloor storage was re-arranged. I don't want to be going under the floor board so often. The sinkholes on the sides of the rear seem awkward as well. I'd trade all that for even a donut spare.

Changing a tire could/should take 15 minutes. Who knows how long road-side assistance can take? ...especially if remote/off-road.

how many side of road tires have you changed in the past 15 years? I have 0. And I would not risk my life to do it on a highway.

I have used a doughnut a few times for stuff like got a nail and need to drive to the repair shop 2 miles away. Oh well, will bring in my other car.

how many side of road tires have you changed in the past 15 years? I have 0. And I would not risk my life to do it on a highway.

I have used a doughnut a few times for stuff like got a nail and need to drive to the repair shop 2 miles away. Oh well, will bring in my other car.
My spare is in the garage and I get Tesla to loan me their spare then have AAA change it for me at home. Already happened.

I didn't see this post until now and I'd like to follow up on of having a spare Expandable / Collapsible tyre in the below trunk area. I just posted a question on the forum Spare tyre under-trunk modification for Model Y?

My thoughts are to use a Vredestein Expandable / Collapsible tyre instead. Would that fit in the under-trunk area if the well is removed? The rim might be 19 or 20 inch as listed below, but since the tyres are collapsed, they shouldn't take more than 22-23 inches. Would that fit?

More on the Vredestein tyres:

Examples are of those tyres are:
- Vredestein SpaceMaster 185/55-20 100P (rolling diameter 28, same as original tyre) - used in Mercedes Benz S class
- Vredestein SpaceMaster 195/55-20 102P (rolling diameter 28.4 inches, meaning+0,4 compared to original tyre) - used in Porsche Cayenne Turbo
- Vredestein SpaceMaster 185/65-19 104P (rolling diameter 28.5 inches, meaning +0.5 compared to orignal tyre) - used in Mercedes Benz ML AMG

I am no expert on tyre sizes, and there are a bunch of other Vredestein for Audi, VW etc which has a rolling diameter +1.5 or similar.

This is to be compared to Tesla Model Y Induction Tyres 20 inch rim: 255/40-20 XL 101W

Thankful for any input.

Reactions: speedsector
I just wish the rear underfloor storage was re-arranged. I don't want to be going under the floor board so often. The sinkholes on the sides of the rear seem awkward as well. I'd trade all that for even a donut spare.

Changing a tire could/should take 15 minutes. Who knows how long road-side assistance can take? ...especially if remote/off-road.
I agree with you comment, our model Y got a flat around 6pm on a Friday and it was a nightmare it took us almost three hours to get tow home and we were without a car for the weekend they fixed our tire on Monday. Tesla road side service really needs to better.

Reactions: positiv and na5m

I'd love a donut spare as well. I read that Elon says that most factory equipped spare tires never get used and eventually wind up in the salvage yard to languish. I got caught in a terrible rain storm last month with a flat. Sickening feeling that I never ever want to re-experience. I now drive around with a full sized spare floating around in the trunk. I don't care. I don't use the trunk too often, anyway. But the peace of mind is sincerely blissful.

yes, that is the best option, but in case you have a tire which is not repairable or have a wheel rim damage making the tire unusable, then the spare wheel helps. Just a peace of mind when going on long extended out of town trips
Also, though rare, you may not have cell signal when it happens. I bought a set of winter tires/wheels (even though I have all-seasons already) partially so I have an extra wheel I can throw in the trunk for long trips. Doubt I'd bring it for ~1-200mi trips, but if I'm going on a 700miler, I feel more comfortable with an extra wheel in the trunk.

Reactions: Noflash
Also, though rare, you may not have cell signal when it happens. I bought a set of winter tires/wheels (even though I have all-seasons already) partially so I have an extra wheel I can throw in the trunk for long trips. Doubt I'd bring it for ~1-200mi trips, but if I'm going on a 700miler, I feel more comfortable with an extra wheel in the trunk.
Funny enough, the two incidents I've had where I required roadside assistance, I did not have service. I live out west and do lots of hiking so I probably find myself in that scenario more often than most but it's a good reminder to gouge your personal risk level.

I got a flat tire driving out to Mt. Rainier and had to limp back ~45min to the closest town since I didn't have cell service. I had to get towed over hour away using roadside assistance. I immediately bought tire plugs and and an air pump to repair the tire if something like that happened again but have considered getting a spare if I do a longer roadtrip.

• Informative
Reactions: positiv and Tha_Ape
I didn't see this post until now and I'd like to follow up on of having a spare Expandable / Collapsible tyre in the below trunk area. I just posted a question on the forum Spare tyre under-trunk modification for Model Y?

My thoughts are to use a Vredestein Expandable / Collapsible tyre instead. Would that fit in the under-trunk area if the well is removed? The rim might be 19 or 20 inch as listed below, but since the tyres are collapsed, they shouldn't take more than 22-23 inches. Would that fit?

More on the Vredestein tyres:

Examples are of those tyres are:
- Vredestein SpaceMaster 185/55-20 100P (rolling diameter 28, same as original tyre) - used in Mercedes Benz S class
- Vredestein SpaceMaster 195/55-20 102P (rolling diameter 28.4 inches, meaning+0,4 compared to original tyre) - used in Porsche Cayenne Turbo
- Vredestein SpaceMaster 185/65-19 104P (rolling diameter 28.5 inches, meaning +0.5 compared to orignal tyre) - used in Mercedes Benz ML AMG

I am no expert on tyre sizes, and there are a bunch of other Vredestein for Audi, VW etc which has a rolling diameter +1.5 or similar.

This is to be compared to Tesla Model Y Induction Tyres 20 inch rim: 255/40-20 XL 101W

Thankful for any input.
Curious if you have any updates on any of these working. Thanks!

Reactions: JNM67
Funny enough, the two incidents I've had where I required roadside assistance, I did not have service. I live out west and do lots of hiking so I probably find myself in that scenario more often than most but it's a good reminder to gouge your personal risk level.

I got a flat tire driving out to Mt. Rainier and had to limp back ~45min to the closest town since I didn't have cell service. I had to get towed over hour away using roadside assistance. I immediately bought tire plugs and and an air pump to repair the tire if something like that happened again but have considered getting a spare if I do a longer roadtrip.
I also carry tire plugs, a tire pump as well as the spare.

Me, too, but I've never used them on a road trip. NEVER a nail/screw/slow leak on a road trip.

However, 2 pothole blowouts (not on the Tesla) that needed a spare.

YMMV.
Well I have had a screw in our Tundra pickup truck when up at Huntington Lake which is 40 and 22 miles from the nearest garage in Shaver Lake and there's no cell service up at Huntington. And it was on a Saturday afternoon.