Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y: Tesla Vision - no radar drive at night

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not trying to be a dick, sorry if I came off that way. It seems like people are using break in several other threads and I wondered if it is a "thing" where people are making fun of the brakes not working correctly... eg the brakes are broken type of thing.
no worries, i was just giving you a sarcastic jab. But i like that, might be my new word for brakes.

I drove my MY 2021 no radar in the dark with AP on and it was flawless this week. Daytime is not the same. I get phantom braking, and other odd things. The one thing that did happen during my night drive was the auto wipers kept going on. This did not happen during the day time driving. No it was not raining either day or night

I am not sure if anyone else experienced this, or maybe I am doing something wrong. (All of this is just using the curse setting only, set the speed and go, no autopilot steering). Last night I experienced phantom braking from oncoming lights from other cars on a two-way highway. Phantom braking when no one is around, just the great open desert. On top of that you must have auto beams on at all times to use the curse and autopilot steering. If you turn them off it drifts you. The issue I have with this it makes you look like one BIG prick, or its going to make you a victim of road rage. The auto beams would not turn off when a car is passing me, or it would act too late. Turning on less then 300ft of a vehicle in front of me, or on with less than 3 car lengths away. It was also flashing from high to low constantly, sometime even a fast toggle. I cannot compare to someone that has the ultrasonic radar, but this madness needs to stop. It is pretty much going to be a pedal driving at night until this is somehow fixed. My wife and I laughed about it a little at first, but it is not that funny. Anyway, any other with similar experiences, or things I could try to make the experience better?
I kept trying understand what he was saying.. curse? Ohhhhh he means cruise! Lol

I drove my MY 2021 no radar in the dark with AP on and it was flawless this week. Daytime is not the same. I get phantom braking, and other odd things. The one thing that did happen during my night drive was the auto wipers kept going on. This did not happen during the day time driving. No it was not raining either day or night
I have the same experience with AP with radar (no shadows to fool AP at night?).

Our no radar MY has no issue with phantom wipers, ask mobile service to visit and check the sensor for you... but sun shadows on AP, yes the brakes will engage and at times that is a fair safety issue suddenly slowing the car.

Hoping for an OTA update to bring the shadows out of the program and get more traffic and lanes on the screen.

Auto high beams are just horrible. I turned them off after maybe 20 miles and never turned them back on. At this point I think we just all need to run them all the time and let the news filter back to Musk on "Tesla drivers annoying the heck out of every other car on the road."

My M3 no radar is driving me crazy too. Night driving with auto pilot is completely unusable! The auto high beams are just crazy! Up down up down up down, other drivers would have to think I'm a moron! No wiper issues at all, but I hope this gets fixed soon, as I'm very annoyed that I can't use auto pilot at night!

My M3 no radar is driving me crazy too. Night driving with auto pilot is completely unusable! The auto high beams are just crazy! Up down up down up down, other drivers would have to think I'm a moron! No wiper issues at all, but I hope this gets fixed soon, as I'm very annoyed that I can't use auto pilot at night!

As I learned here, even with auto high beam on, you can turn off the high beams with the turn signal stalk and they stay off until the next time you have to activate AP again.

Keith