Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y tinting question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I'm looking to get my Y tinted this week. I am going with XPEL XR plus for the full vehicle. Will be doing 70-80% on the windshield, and then 35% on the front. Where I am struggling is what to do on the 2nd row windows and hatch. I can't find anything online that shows what the visibility is out the rear window at night with 35% on that. Has anyone here done 35% on the rear window and can provide some insight on their visibility out of the rear window at night? The other option I was considering was going with 70% on the 2nd row and rear window, which I think would provide about an 8% darker appearance than the stock 25%.

Thanks

I installed 30% in the two front and 70% on the rears, quarters, and hatch windows. I thought I bought 35 but it was 30. The back windows are just privacy glass with very minimal heat rejection. 70% on the back windows had no visible difference at night but the heat difference was very noticeable. 30% at night with the front windows didn't seem too bad either.

I installed 30% in the two front and 70% on the rears, quarters, and hatch windows. I thought I bought 35 but it was 30. The back windows are just privacy glass with very minimal heat rejection. 70% on the back windows had no visible difference at night but the heat difference was very noticeable. 30% at night with the front windows didn't seem too bad either.
Okay that is exactly what I did, except I went with the 35 which actually 38%. I went with the XPEL XR Plus tint.

I went with 35% on the front 2 and nothing on the rear. It looks good, but if I had to do it all over again I would have gotten a bit darker to match the rear. A good light ceramic on the rears probably wouldn't hurt or be noticeable if it were like 70%+.

Let me tell you a story: I got pinnacle front windshield tint at 70%. Helped tremendously in the summer.
One day I decided to go to the snow. The defroster couldn’t keep a clear view out of the windshield as it was SO effective at reducing heat transfer. I had to have the heat blasting on high to keep up where as my car without windshield tint could keep it defrosted at a normal interior heat.
If you plan to go to the snow, be careful about the windshield tint.

Tinted the Model Y today. I just did the three windows on both sides. Fronts I went with 20% and rears I went 70%. Looks perfect in my eyes.
Tint-1.jpeg

Tint-2.jpeg

Also, installed a roof sunshade with a magnet in the middle to keep it from sagging.
Roof Sunshade.jpeg

Hey - thought I would resurrect this thread. What did you go with?

I was thinking of doing 35 on the front sides. I thought the rear sides, hatch and roof are already a pretty dark tint no? Is there much value in tinting those?
Don't mistake dark colored windows for windows with heat rejecting film on them. There is no factory tint on the rear windows so there is value to tinting those windows.

Let me tell you a story: I got pinnacle front windshield tint at 70%. Helped tremendously in the summer.
One day I decided to go to the snow. The defroster couldn’t keep a clear view out of the windshield as it was SO effective at reducing heat transfer. I had to have the heat blasting on high to keep up where as my car without windshield tint could keep it defrosted at a normal interior heat.
If you plan to go to the snow, be careful about the windshield tint.
In all my years of driving I have never heard that. I run Xcel XR+ 35% on my front and I have never had issues with driving in winter. We get big snow storms here and it is not an issue.

Don't mistake dark colored windows for windows with heat rejecting film on them. There is no factory tint on the rear windows so there is value to tinting those windows.
I don’t understand the statement? The rear sides in the model Y have no heat rejection on them. They are simply tinted glass. If your looking to keep as much heat out of the cabin as possible then 70% film with heat rejection is a minimum.

I went with 35% front/5% tint strip on the top of the windshield, 20% front sides and rear hatch, and finally 70% rear sides. All XPEL XR+. I have an appointment next Tuesday to put 20% on the roof. I just don’t want to mess with the netting thing and I like how the roof looks. Just a touch to much sun comes in during the hot afternoon sun.

I did Pinnacle 35 on the rear windows, and 15 on the front, and its matched for all intents and purposes. With that said, the fronts are dark even with my white interior. I also put Air 80 on the windshield. That keeps my knees from burning in the sun.

I don’t understand the statement? The rear sides in the model Y have no heat rejection on them. They are simply tinted glass. If your looking to keep as much heat out of the cabin as possible then 70% film with heat rejection is a minimum.
Look at the comment I responded to. The poster is asking I there’s value to tinting the rear windows because they’re already dark.

Look at the comment I responded to. The poster is asking I there’s value to tinting the rear windows because they’re already dark.
Gotcha I think it was the wording for me. Sorry I didn’t understand. I would’ve worded it: there is no heat rejection on the rear side windows so there is value to tinting them with heat rejection film. They are indeed tinted from the factory so that is why I got confused. My bad.

Reactions: Mod Y Guy