Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Tow Hitch Sensor Message

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I added the tow hitch to my Model Y at the time of order. This past weekend, I finally attached a bike rack and enabled trailer mode. With trailer mode turned on I am getting an error message saying the my parking sensors may be dirty or are not working. My understanding is that trailer mode is supposed to remove these error messages. Am I missing something or should I contact Tesla because something is not working correctly with the Trailer mode software? I thought I’d ask the forum to make sure I am not doing something incorrectly.

I’ve done software reboot as well and that didn’t remove the warning messages from displaying…

Thanks

I believe trailer mode is only active when the car detects something plugged in. I have a kayak trailer, and when plugged in, no error messages are displayed. When I use my bike rack, I get that same parking sensor message.
I wonder if using an adapter designed for trailer using LED light could fix the issue?

May like this model: Hopkins 47345 4 Wire Flat Adapter

Note: Such adapters are often nedeed because the trailer is not detected by the car because of the low consumption.

I believe trailer mode is only active when the car detects something plugged in. I have a kayak trailer, and when plugged in, no error messages are displayed. When I use my bike rack, I get that same parking sensor message.
Does your bike rack have a light board that you plug in? Here in Europe, all the hitch racks have a light board with connector. For instance, my Thule rack has a 13-pin power connector. When this is connected the trailer mode is activated automatically,* and I never see a parking sensor message.

*Most of the time I disable this so I can still use autopilot, albeit with the rainbow moustache. As I have written before, Tesla please give us a dedicated bike rack mode!

Reactions: JDEWD250
Completely normal. Trailer mode just removes those wings on the back of the car showing on the screen. Trailer mode should only be used with a trailer. Tesla really needs a way to completely disable to rear sensors so we dont get the fault messages
Trailer mode also drastically modifies trip planning, by applying a much lower efficiency than driving with no trailer. This is another reason why we need a bike rack mode. Compared to no rack, the bike rack decreases efficiency, especially at highway speed. As I have discovered, this can easily throw off the Supercharger planning on long trips – like the time it wanted me to drive through a high altitude tunnel with negative battery percentage in order to make it to the Supercharger the other side of the mountain!

What does this mean in the manual?
That the sensora don't work or that the sensors recognizes bicycles & turn itself off?
Latter being false as by all of our complaints here.
But still have to do my due diligence as I hate the El Camacho Mustache on the screen panel for the entire trip with my bike rack on.

Screenshot 2022-08-24 222528.jpg

Kind of disappointing. I should have researched more before ordering the tow hitch. I was hoping to take a bike with me when I travel but am not willing to loose AP when going cross country for a bike I could possibly rent when I get there. I'm going to think it through before getting roof racks for a paddle board.

Kind of disappointing. I should have researched more before ordering the tow hitch. I was hoping to take a bike with me when I travel but am not willing to loose AP when going cross country for a bike I could possibly rent when I get there. I'm going to think it through before getting roof racks for a paddle board.
Honestly it's not a big deal to just deal with the sensor error. I just let the sensors freak out (it's colour on the screen as if you are backing into something) and use AP.

I would bring the bikes and skip renting them.