Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Tow Package available soon from Tesla Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So has anyone got a good 4-bike carrier for the oem tow hitch? i find i'm running into general trouble whenever I look into the details more.

I was set on getting the Yakima Doubledown ace 4 or 5 but it seems its not recommended from the fitment guide. The pin hole to the face edge is 4cm, but Yakima says minimum is 5cm (2")

Yakima Backroad is ok, but i prefer the anti rattle knob for quick mount, and this is a fair bit more than the doubledown ace for some reason.

Buzzrack 4H seems to be the only platform option as it's only 17kg, no tilt function though, and no quick mount function.
All other platforms head towards the 25-30kg mark, which leaves very little for 4 bikes.

Apex XT have some reports of the knob fowling the bumper, while some are ok - but it's very expensive.

Allen sports have a quick mount.

Anaconda Fluid hitch rack seems ok and cheap, but minimal on the features.

Anyway please let me know if you've bought one, need one for family bikes mainly.
I'm going to try the Yakima Stage Two. It has the +2 option but I won't be trying that straight away. Will report back in the next few months. Wonder how you can supercharge with 4 bikes on the hitch...

I'm going to try the Yakima Stage Two. It has the +2 option but I won't be trying that straight away. Will report back in the next few months. Wonder how you can supercharge with 4 bikes on the hitch...
yeah they are nice, friend had the two up. If you're just doing 2 bikes ur good, the rack is 30kg for 2 already. You'll be over the weight limit for 4.

Actually tow ball platform bike carriers seem a lot lighter, +3-4kg for the tow ball, seems like it's possibly ok.

I got the Carasel Towbar fitted to my Model Y. $1850 installed including the hitch and towball.

Very happy. Especially like the Tesla Emblem handle to remove the cover.

1684585518590.png

1684585670933.png

Especially like the Tesla Emblem handle to remove the cover.
I just had the Tesla one installed last week. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about removing the plastic cover. There's a little indent in the plastic to indicate where to put your wedge (screwdriver, plastic shim, whatever) & the thing just levers out.

Next step is to go to a shop to find the parts to fit the 2 inch (not 50mm) hitch.

I just had the Tesla one installed last week. I'm not sure what all the fuss is about removing the plastic cover. There's a little indent in the plastic to indicate where to put your wedge (screwdriver, plastic shim, whatever) & the thing just levers out.
Agree, plastic cover pry's out easily on the occasions you want to use the tow bar. I didn't like the look of the Tesla handle thingy so I didn't fit it to the cover when I installed the tow bar.

Just type '2" hitch' into Ebay. So much choice. I got this bike rack for $230.
But the problem is that 2” isn’t the same as 50mm. Many of the items on eBay or online stores don’t really differentiate between them. Earlier posts here say that 50mm devices are too small for the Tesla 2” hitch. Even the eBay posting for the Shogun bike rack you showed says 2” in the title, but 50mm in the description, so it’s hard to know what it really is. Having said that, it looks quite nice although I can’t see a locking mechanism.

I got the Carasel Towbar fitted to my Model Y. $1850 installed including the hitch and towball.

Very happy. Especially like the Tesla Emblem handle to remove the cover.

View attachment 939454

View attachment 939455
I like the handle! That's a useful improvement.
You say you got the bar/fitting from Carousel - so is it their bar or the EV Stealth bar fitted by them? EV Stealth's MY bar is around $1075 and fitting (they recommend Carousel for Sydney people) I understand is around $400.

The total price is getting pretty close to the official Tesla bar...

But the problem is that 2” isn’t the same as 50mm. Many of the items on eBay or online stores don’t really differentiate between them. Earlier posts here say that 50mm devices are too small for the Tesla 2” hitch. Even the eBay posting for the Shogun bike rack you showed says 2” in the title, but 50mm in the description, so it’s hard to know what it really is. Having said that, it looks quite nice although I can’t see a locking mechanism.
The rack fit's, so it's the 2" hitch. The spec also says 2".
1684669367099.png

so is it their bar or the EV Stealth bar fitted by them?
It is the Stealth. They charged $1300 for the towbar, a hitch and tow ball with cover.

They charge $550 to fit to Model Y or Model 3. There is no software upgrade, though I didn't want it, so I can use Autopilot.

I talked to them at Fully Charged Live. And they fitted a Model 3 while I was there, so I trusted them to fit it properly.

Reactions: johnchidgey
The rack fit's, so it's the 2" hitch. The spec also says 2".
Thanks for confirming. No toggle/wobble at all at the hitch interface? Maybe it was just the particular listing that I found, which has 50mm hitch as a requirement in one of the pictures. Can you link the place you got it from please? And also the hitch extender? Can you also confirm the lighting works and that there’s no bike lock built in? Thanks!

It is the Stealth. They charged $1300 for the towbar, a hitch and tow ball with cover.

They charge $550 to fit to Model Y or Model 3. There is no software upgrade, though I didn't want it, so I can use Autopilot.

I talked to them at Fully Charged Live. And they fitted a Model 3 while I was there, so I trusted them to fit it properly.
Thanks - yes, I spoke to them at Fully Charged too and saw the M3 mid fitting. That price is better with the hitch and ball included.

Reactions: Astro66
No toggle/wobble at all at the hitch interface?
There is a mechanism of a threaded locking pin to remove all wobble. Works perfectly.

This is the one I bought $250. I got it for $229 with a Ebay monthly discount they have occasionally. It has the 7 pin round plug. I bought a 7 pin flat for $7 and fitted myself. Lights worked perfectly. I paid $24 for a number plate.

I didn't buy the extension as I only fit 2 X E-MTB, and a third Ebike would be too heavy. I have seen them on Ebay. But I wouldn't know if the extension over leveraged the hitch, especially with 3 bikes. Or if it ensured clearance to the back of the car, which is the problem without the extension, and using the bike holder closest to the car.

Last edited:
Reactions: bcarp
Thanks - yes, I spoke to them at Fully Charged too and saw the M3 mid fitting. That price is better with the hitch and ball included.
I could easily have fitted one myself. I just didn't want warranty issues from Tesla with the car. And the fitting has a lifetime warranty.

I have heard Tesla can tend to blame warranty issues on Third Party mods, made by non-approved installers.

Reactions: NeilA