Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thinking of changing my Y order to a 3 - what’s the best method of contact as would rather switch than order new and have to argue over the £100.

They won’t switch it. You’ll have to place a new order, pay £100 again and fight to get your original £100 back. Took me 5.5 weeks to get my money back when I did the same thing, albeit 3 to Y.

Last edited:
People keep talking about the '22 plates. Is there a benefit to that besides just having a more recent plate for the Y? This is the first year the car will be here, there is no easy way for the RHD version to be older here. I'm not from the UK so I'm wondering if I'm missing something. Have my collection scheduled for 17 Feb at Loch Fyne.

Reactions: dboyo
People keep talking about the '22 plates. Is there a benefit to that besides just having a more recent plate for the Y? This is the first year the car will be here, there is no easy way for the RHD version to be older here. I'm not from the UK so I'm wondering if I'm missing something. Have my collection scheduled for 17 Feb at Loch Fyne.

Increased residual value in the region of about £500-£800.

Increased residual value in the region of about £500-£800.
Thank you, appreciate the reply. Seems so odd that it would matter from '21-'22 since the car didn't exist here prior to this point, but I guess a lot of that is automated now? We like to hold onto cars until the wheels are falling off, but it's good to know I wasn't overlooking something relevant to us. Thanks again for the reply.

Reactions: Roarr
There used to be a period when people sold second hand cars by displaying a placard and tricking other buyers regarding the age. Nowadays, with everything including the service history and warranty claims available online, the number plate doesn't make any difference.

If the car is going to be kept until the loan is paid off, it doesn't really matter. Considering current supply chain issues and inflation, car prices (new and used) are likely to go up than go down.

Reactions: Campi and RGZoro
Its an obsession here in the UK where plate prefixes or year identifier changes twice a year. Nearly always the mileage and condition of the car would have a greater impact on secondhand value. It's ridiculous that a 1st March car would be worth more than a 28th Feb when there is no spec difference between them.

Its an obsession here in the UK where plate prefixes or year identifier changes twice a year. Nearly always the mileage and condition of the car would have a greater impact on secondhand value. It's ridiculous that a 1st March car would be worth more than a 28th Feb when there is no spec difference between them.
Thankfully many franchise dealers now display the month of registration rather than just the 1/2 yearly plate prefix. Unfortunately there are still a number of trade-in valuation places that only ask for the prefix.

Auto Trader uses calendar year rather than prefix on search filters 👍

If it wasn't for the 22 plate I bought for it, I wouldn't have minded at all - it is just the UK law and which number plates can be used on which years.

Reactions: RGZoro
It really matters to the buyer. If 2 similar age/condition/spec cars were available, one with old plates , one with new, every single buyer would select the one with newer plates. Blindingly obvious I would have thought. We live in a designer world, Tesla is one of those designers!

Reactions: Js1977 and VX Foxy
It really matters to the buyer. If 2 similar age/condition/spec cars were available, one with old plates , one with new, every single buyer would select the one with newer plates. Blindingly obvious I would have thought. We live in a designer world, Tesla is one of those designers!
Possibly "blindingly obvious" to those who grew up here, and it was why I asked in case I was missing something. I'm American living in the UK and all the cars and motorcycles I purchased in my relatively short life I never cared what the plates said. It's not a factor for us in the same way I've recently learned it is here.

Reactions: Campi
Possibly "blindingly obvious" to those who grew up here, and it was why I asked in case I was missing something. I'm American living in the UK and all the cars and motorcycles I purchased in my relatively short life I never cared what the plates said. It's not a factor for us in the same way I've recently learned it is here.
Agree, I'm non native to these shores as well. I would look at age of car (years rather than months), features, mileage, condition, if it has been in any fender benders, any current issues and then price. I would then weigh up the cost v condition and make a choice based on those criteria. Couldn't really give a hoot if it says 71 or 22 on the plates.

Agree, I'm non native to these shores as well. I would look at age of car (years rather than months), features, mileage, condition, if it has been in any fender benders, any current issues and then price. I would then weigh up the cost v condition and make a choice based on those criteria. Couldn't really give a hoot if it says 71 or 22 on the plates.
I agree but you are talking about second hand cars vs new from factory. No one in their right mind (no offence intended, I know some here are desperate some reason or another) would have a 71 plate over a 22 when you have only 9 days to wait. Obviously for others such as myself it will now be longer than 9 days but other dealers would not do this. Only tesla just because they can and or the decision came from outside the UK hence also the lack of local knowledge on the matter.