Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That was my reasoning too, 19's look small on the Model Y, no decent aftermarket 20" Wheel/Tyre combination for the same amount and wheel trim covers are notorious for damaging the alloy wheel underneath either by scuffing the outer edge through vibration or trapping water and damaging the lacquer layer of the face/edge. Be careful those that have ordered Rimetrix covers - do your research online.
just need to apply the protection layer which they supply .. damage has come from those who haven't applied it

Reactions: Martin J
Really interesting seeing the comments about 19s versus 20s. Having seen 40 odd Ys at Duxford earlier in the week (in a mix of colours and wheels) it wasn't really noticeable (and I'm quite picky about car styling - would only ever go for AMG/M Sport/ S Line styling over standard models). I've got white/ black interior/ 19s and happy with my choice.

Overall wheel (rim plus tyre) are the same dimensions I understand (lower profile tyres obviously on the 20s) so if you want a darker wheel then just get the Rimetrix covers and don't lose any range?

Reactions: ajbrun
That was my reasoning too, 19's look small on the Model Y, no decent aftermarket 20" Wheel/Tyre combination for the same amount and wheel trim covers are notorious for damaging the alloy wheel underneath either by scuffing the outer edge through vibration or trapping water and damaging the lacquer layer of the face/edge. Be careful those that have ordered Rimetrix covers - do your research online.
That is a very good point. I did that research before buying mine. That vibration/scuffing was there in the early versions of the M3 aero covers. Then they introduced the tape (which I think was done by someone and eventually Rimetrix themselves started supplying that) and the MY cover are snug.

Reactions: Bathurst
What’s the value of 4 x Gemini if you took them off as new or almost new ?
Who knows for sure currently but they are definitely worth something. The tyres themselves will be best part of brand new and they will definitely have a ready second hand market - the Pirellis retailing at £200-250 each. We'll need to see what the market will be for the gemini alloys in the UK but they are being sold on US ebay for £220 a piece (confirmed actual sold). Then there's the aero covers which also will definitely have a ready 2nd hand market here in the UK. They could easily make £40 a piece!

Reactions: VX Foxy and Campi
Who knows for sure currently but they are definitely worth something. The tyres themselves will be best part of brand new and they will definitely have a ready second hand market - the Pirellis retailing at £200-250 each. We'll need to see what the market will be for the gemini alloys in the UK but they are being sold on US ebay for £220 a piece (confirmed actual sold). Then there's the aero covers which also will definitely have a ready 2nd hand market here in the UK. They could easily make £40 a piece!
So its best to go for original and order the 20 inches afterwards ? We are like better off by a grand ?

comparison.jpg

Borrowed from twitter.... is it really noticeable?

View attachment 770759

Borrowed from twitter.... is it really noticeable?
Trust me in person the 19's next to set of 20's look smaller, in this profile pic its harder to see due to the angle. Take the wheel covers off and expose the alloy underneath even more so. If you were to spray or powder coat the alloy black it masks it to some degree. Have a comparison on delivery day, its noticeable.

Reactions: VX Foxy