Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have been thinking about changing my order to the 20s induction tyres because people say they look nice. But I cannot get past the:

1. Worse performance
2. The ride not being so good
3. The additional cost
4. Michelin tyres and their side wall cracking issues. Experienced this problem many times and a simple search on Google highlights the problem many others have experienced.
5. Not going to get the money back when you sell the car in the future.

Therefore, in conclusion I can see no advantage in getting the 20s apart from some people think they look nice on essentially a family car - eye of the beholder.

I would be interested to hear of other people's opinions other than the 20s look nice to them?
Why do the 20’ have worse performance? Do you mean efficiency?

Because you have persuaded yourself to stick with the 19’s, you have given a couple of good facts between the two.

Apart from the opinion I way prefer the way they look (subjective), I don’t do many miles and I’m not a commuter. If I was doing 100+ miles a day then I would have settled for 19’s for the efficiency but as I don’t, I’d rather the ones that look better.

Sometimes beauty is also in the eye of the budget which has a massive impact for some. I went for 19’s originally as I couldn’t afford the 20’s but after changing finance company, it opened up the choice. I would be happy with either as it’s the car I wanted.

Either way, we will love the car (and wheels) we choose.

Are there any Electricians in Reading area that could install a charging point at home at a decent price. BP pulse are quoting £1049 since the grant ends soon.
Not too sure if his patch covers reading but I'm only 30 mins from Reading and 2 weeks ago I used Justin Bucknell for a pretty complex install due to the layout of my house. They did an amazing job fitting a HyperVolt 2 and all in was cheaper than that!! Electrician Bicester, Oxford and across Oxfordshire | Justin Bucknell Electrical - Experienced, Reliable and Professional Electricians

2 years ago I went with a nationwide company on my last house for a straightforward install and they made a mess of it so highly recommend Justin.

I have been thinking about changing my order to the 20s induction tyres because people say they look nice. But I cannot get past the:

1. Worse performance
3. The additional cost
4. Michelin tyres and their side wall cracking issues. Experienced this problem many times and a simple search on Google highlights the problem many others have experienced.

Therefore, in conclusion I can see no advantage in getting the 20s apart from some people think they look nice on essentially a family car - eye of the beholder.

I would be interested to hear of other people's opinions other than the 20s look nice to them?
I agree with you. I think the difference will be 11-12 miles in real range and maybe 20 or so on a long slow run. Yes they look better but not so much that 2k plus range and comfort disadvantages justify it. If range and comfort not an issue 20s win, if u want to save money and improve range and comfort (all be it a little bit). Get stock wheels
Agree - Induction look nice, but just not enough positives to make me switch for our family main car

Reactions: RichardTheKing

1. Worse performance
3. The additional cost

I won't change to the 20's as best ride comfort is the most important factor to me. I do admit though that black wheels (especially on my choice of white/white) look better in my opinion.
I also cannot bring myself to pay the ridiculous price for Rimetrix's with UK shipping, so are waiting on the expectation that similar looking sets from Aliexpress will be available soon at a lower price, no doubt of lower quality but probably still a large saving to buy 2 sets and replace as they either get scuffed or fly off into a local hedge!

What I would say is that it was nice to have a decent first drive home rather just a short hop from Bluewater or somewhere.

19’s are awesome in the flesh. Totally love the Gemini covers which DO NOT look like cheap covers.

20’s look ok too. I think it might depend whether you silver or black wheels.
I think the black is becoming now a little bit old fashion because a lot of car now got it now. But I have to admit this is nice with car colour contrast, specially white. I personally prefer to be more discrete, I like the silver alloy wheels & the gemini cover. I haven't got £2k+ to spend on wheel. I have concentrated my budget on why I bought that car for: the autopilot and the FSD, no money left after that. 😇

Worth passing on that Ys are being released from Southampton with only 34% charge.

I stood for a while in large queue for seven london bound chargers, (Fleet?) with only a few miles range left, I gave up as not dressed for the cold. Am now putting in 24mph at Camberley Tescos.

If Tesla keep trying to release 1, 000 undercharged cars in a day, suggest bringing good winter outdoor clothes & an umberella for the long supercharger queues.

Or else research non Tesla chargers nearby.

Or else plan hang around Southampton until very late. Disapointing start to the wonders of electric driving.

how many is a few? Range isn’t much less than a 3LR, I picked up my LR with 40% charge and arrived home in windsor with 19%, driving past fleet on the way.

Just checked ABRP and it estimates 11% battery to get from southampton docks to the heathrow chargers on the M25 (assuming people heading north otherwise you have other charger options). Should be fine for almost everyone. I can understand if people are a little concerned though with low battery on first pick up

Regarding wheels 19/20. Looking at 30 miles range. How often is this going to have a real impact? I’ve never thought ‘wish I had 30 miles more range’. If you’re really going so far as to go from 100% down to nearly zero, you plan to stop a little earlier. This isn’t everyday is it? You do look at your car every day though. When I got my 3 LR, there were no bigger wheel options. The car looks quite ridiculous on 18’s with Aeros removed.

My point is, if 30 miles range is so critical to you? Is an EV really for you?

For me wheels inches is about where you live and where you drive most of your time.
I live in London and average speed limit is 20 mph. I drive in Chill mode otherwise I would hit a bike or a pedestrian every day and 19 wheels are firmer of what I’d choose 225/40/18).
On another note, did anyone that picked up yesterday and didn’t charge overnight noticed the battery consumption?
I think 10/12 miles consumed in idle mode since yesterday 3pm.
My previous M3 consumed 1 mile in 2 days in idle mode.
Obviously double battery but isn’t it a bit to much?

Reactions: RichardTheKing
It's worth pointing out that there are other threads on here highlighting the possibility that the stock Tesla aero covers also create damage on the Gemini alloys. Worth keeping a check on if you plan to keep the aero covers in place. It creates a real dilemma. Do you keep the aero covers on in part to protect the alloys from kerb rash (but with the risk of they themselves damaging the wheel) or do you take them off?
The covers do very little to prevent kerb rash on the M3 wheels. My SO has tested this on several occasions.

Oddly, the only kerb rash on my Model S is the NSR where AutoPilot thought it could cut the kerb on a tight bend on the A616.

1. Worse performance
3. The additional cost

for me it was the Mrs choice, said we couldn't have one without the 'nice' wheels !

I ordered 19" as most journalists recommended. I opted for the enhanced auto pilot but now worried I made the wrong choice but dont want to delay order as I have a March delivery scheduled (not confirmed though)
EAP adds a couple of great features: Autopark has been really handy on both our Model S and Model 3. Auto lane change, while somewhat less auto in the UK, is surprisingly handy even with the UK 'time out' feature. And Navigate on AutoPilot can be handy for not missing motorway exits. YMMV though.

I was pleased to see EAP was available without FSD on the Model Y. FSD on the Model 3 in the UK maybe adds more irritation than utility but EAP alone was not an option at the time.

Reactions: Garygjo

1. Worse performance
3. The additional cost

4. Never experienced this with any of my michelins in various sports cars
5. car will be worth more to the right person and if not there with be plenty of gemini wheels kicking about from upgrades or you can trade plus cash your way from someone that has gemini's and wants inductions.

My suggestion is if it benefits you the owner. I'm having ppf covered to protect the paintwork. If I ever sell it the owners will be more interested in the paintwork than the fact the wheels are 19 not 20.

Im not a fan tbh. PPF to the known areas (rear arches area mainly) is good practice imho. Other than that, you are prepaying and not cheaply for damage that might not occur. It will increase desirability but not price since cars with certain mileage/age are expected to have stone chips and the odd blemish. Anything major and you just have it rectified for the worst parts which will most probably cost less than the ppf. This is just my personal opinion.