Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like you, I ordered on 15th October and still only have a date range for EDD in March. Did you check in the source code of your account page to see whether you have been assigned a VIN (search on 'LRW')? I did this and found that they had assigned a VIN which gives me some comfort that a car has actually been reserved for me!
Yes I ve had the VINs for a couple of weeks. But I,ve been down this frustrating path in 2019, 2020 2021 and now agin for the 4/5 time. It hasn't got better just progressively worse. The cars have improved out of all recognition which is the only thing which keeps me hanging on.

Maybe some Chinese whispers going on but I can’t think why funders would say this if it’s not true. Unless they’re taking an L to shift stock but I can’t think why they would possibly need to do that when Tesla are saying there is so much demand.

Personally I take elons tweets with a pinch of salt, but not denying the possibility you’re right given this has been mentioned in earnings calls. That said, this is how lease funders have always operated on our side of the big blue sea.
I believe that like Apple, Tesla don't ever do discounts. Why would they? Demand greatly outsrips supply and long may that be the case as it all but eliminates depreciation for everyone but drivers who lease..

I also had a noisy fan

Great post, thanks for sharing. Looks good in the Blue 👍🏻

Are you talking about the interior air/ a/c fan?
How noisy was your fan?

Mine seems loud-ish turned up high but I’m not sure if it’s just because I’m used to a Petrol car and it’s so quiet inside the Y in comparison.

Set on 1, 2 or 3 my fan is reasonably quiet, higher settings (to demist) and it’s a bit louder obviously. (I leave it on 2 normally)

Is this something I should be worried about? How would one tell if the fan noise is a normal ‘loudness’ or not?

I guess you’re comparing it to the loudness of your model 3’s fan? Any extra info appreciated.

Some insights to add from me;

I’ve got to say my car was spot on; paint, panels, exterior, interior trim all solid and excellent quality. I only had one issue 500 meters driving away from delivery I got a message “left camera obstructed”. But it cleared 2 mins later. Came back once but soon disappeared and hasn’t returned in the subsequent 2 weeks. Probably just a bit of condensation from delivery.

I’m really pleased with my Model Y. Best car I’ve ever bought. Feels quality built and luxurious inside. I too have had my fingers hovering over the acceleration boost 😂

500 miles and £35 in “fuel” later and I’m loving it.

I’d add that the autopilot using auto steer can be a bit disconcerting. Mine disconnected entering a smallish round about and gave me a bit of a scare! On the motorway it’s fantastic but it doesn’t feel 100% relaxing just yet. You definitely have to be extra alert. Maybe more alert than just driving it normally! The active cruise control is great though. Probably need to get used to trusting the auto steer a bit more. Although I think I’ll likely just use it on the motorway.

Chargers: I went for the Tesla Gen 3 wall connector. It’s great being able to press the button on the cable one handed to open the charge port, instead of faffing with the phone app or opening it from inside on the screen, or heaven forbid pressing it! Another first world problem solved.
This charger is supposed to be ‘smart’ but to be honest it isn’t yet. Not till it gets the promised update. This is largely irrelevant because you can schedule your Charing times on the app or in the car anyway if you’re on a dual rate electricity tariff. We’re not and to be honest if we were I don’t think we’d save, as the day time rate is higher than our fixed rate and we use more electricity in the house during the day, so it’d work out more expensive, for us anyway.

Re-generative braking: we set ours to ‘Hold’; this is great. Initially takes half a day or less to get used to. Love it now. One footed driving is great! Almost never touch the brakes. Careful when you get back into another car, you’ll think the brakes are rubbish or have failed !

Sentry mode: you can view the cars cameras from the app while you car is connected to WiFi (eg at home) indefinitely (I think). If your car is parked somewhere else, like in a car park or on a street and NOT on WiFi, there is a data limit on using this feature with the free one month premium connectivity. I’d guesstimate it’s about 5-10 mins viewing. Not sure if it’s limited when you pay for premium connectivity after the free trial… 🤔

Pre-conditioning: great for the week day drive if you commute to work. Just set and forget. Get into a warm and defrosted car every work day 👍🏻

If you’re still waiting for you car to arrive, I feel your pain but it’ll be worth the wait.

Cheers for now, not long to go….

Last edited:
Massive thank you to everyone who has contributed to this group - so helpful prepping me for my delivery. I've had the Model Y a couple of days now and it's brilliant. I was surprised by how much bigger it feels against the Model 3 (my partner's car and the reason I was steered assertively away from an i4). You do ride higher than the Model 3 but the visibility is great. The ride is firm but no worse than my old M Sport 3 Series - much of this will be personal preference but for me it's pretty much spot on.

I was a cash buyer so comms were ok. I was checking the account regularly (sad, I know) and once I received a collection date message then got a steady flow of text messages with steps to follow but TBH I checked the account most days which was more effective for me. Collection was straight forward - proof of ID and then on to collect the car (they asked if I had insurance a couple of times as apparently a good few people had arrived with no insurance for the car) - no bells and whistles in Manchester but I don't like fuss so good for me.

A couple of watch outs, mine was missing the mobile connector so make sure it's in the car when you take delivery (Gen 2 Universal Mobile Connector) - they got one for me whilst I waited but they're not cheap so check it is there. I also had a noisy fan and bubbling under the PPF so give the car a good check and feel free to drive the car outside to check under natural light (mine was in a pop-up tent and lighting not great) - the collection team are really relaxed.

Are these big issues? No, it's booked in for the tow bar fit and they'll sort the PPF / fan - I'm yet to get a new car without an issue.

There's no parcel shelf and it's not a problem for me - the car is really quiet (although the boot is cavernous). I got a bit worried about it by how annoyed others were on the forums but I never used it on my old 3 series estate and it was always a pain removing it to drop the seats - we're all different and all have our own needs and expectations so what works for me, won't work for others - take a view when you get yours and if you need a parcel shelf then there are plenty of after market parts out there.

The car is phenomenal but watch your speed! I have a heavy right foot and it's mad how fast it is. My finger has hovered over the acceleration boost a few times but for now I'm being sensible!

I'm so impressed with the car and grateful to be in the fortunate position to have one. I hope you all enjoy yours when they land and thanks again for all of the info prior to getting mine.
In terms of insurance, I have a reg, but it's not showing on the database yet so can't amend insurance yet. How much time did people have to swop over their policies?

Reactions: rotherad
A cautionary tale on holds. Ordered in November and got matched with a Feb 19th delivery date that didn't work for me. Put the car on hold for 3 weeks. Just took it off today and my delivery date now shows May 10-June 5th, so basically back of the queue. The rhetoric was generally you end up near the front when you remove the hold, so a little bummed.

HOLD AT YOUR OWN RISK!!

I’d add that the autopilot using auto steer can be a bit disconcerting. Mine disconnected entering a smallish round about and gave me a bit of a scare! On the motorway it’s fantastic but it doesn’t feel 100% relaxing just yet. You definitely have to be extra alert. Maybe more alert than just driving it normally! The active cruise control is great though. Probably need to get used to trusting the auto steer a bit more. Although I think I’ll likely just use it on the motorway.
It's actually only designed for the motorway, hence why you got the disengage at a roundabout. It's technically not even for single lane undivided highways which is why all the phantom braking bad press is a bit overblown.

The manual actually says: "Warning: Autosteer is intended for use only on highways and limited-access roads with a fully attentive driver."

I've used it on city streets to very varying degrees of ok depending on weather and road markings.

I disagree that it is a first world problem, Tesla are clearly not first world when it comes to allocation and customer service and appear to lack staff numbers and management to deal with their exponential sales deliveries?

Yes I ve had the VINs for a couple of weeks. But I,ve been down this frustrating path in 2019, 2020 2021 and now agin for the 4/5 time. It hasn't got better just progressively worse. The cars have improved out of all recognition which is the only thing which keeps me hanging on.

Manage your expectations... Being that this is not your first time to the rodeo, I would of thought you have mastered this well by now. There is is not one big business with thousands/millions of customers out there that have 100% customer satisfaction.

Here we have a good example. We both ordered at the same time, yet not having the same experience. Some have ordered fairly recently and have a delivery date.

This is also my third Tesla purchase. The other two cars were ordered from inventory, delivered within a month of ordering and better coordination on their behalf.

I think part of the frustration you and others having here is due to impatience. Im a bit like that hence do not like to preorder anything. In addition, coming here and seeing that others are doing better or the same with their orders does not help.

First world problems indeed imho and if not, I can only assume that you are on life support or something to that end.

Personally I have sympathy for you and any other in the same situation and only wish I could help. My only advice is to stay strong and find something else to occupy your mind/divert your energy :)

Being that this is not your first time to the rodeo, I would of thought you have mastered this well by now. There is is not one big business with thousands/millions of customers out there that have 100% customer satisfaction.
There are plenty of big businesses that are very good with customer satisfaction, Apple and Costco are 2 that spring to mind. That gives accurate delivery times and follow up, if issues with products then resolution often very quick.

The problem with Tesla is no accountability, if you have a genuine problem at any stage then it can be difficult to get a resolution.

For example I had a genuine question I needed to know regarding registration, phoned them and constantly cut off telling me to be patient and wait for a delivery update. However I am told by them I need to complete the registration form before my car is assigned a delivery day, so I could not proceed.

I emailed the local dealer contact who is supposed to answer questions and deliverygb, the local responded within a day and deliverygb almost 2 weeks later. Each reply then said the opposite of each other and turns out the local contact reply was wrong, which if I had listened to would have delayed my order further.

Tesla have great cars and some great processes/ideas to streamline everything but like FSD it will still require a few more years to refine the process.

Last edited:
Reactions: RichardTheKing