Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you. I'm looking forward to your feedback.
Ok, so here you go...

Pressing the camera icon, will give you the last 10 minutes of driving plus about another minute after you pressed it. You get a red dot at the point you pressed the icon, so you can scrub straight to it. There is an option in the menu for the dash cam; OFF/Maunal/Auto. Mine was set to Auto (I assume it is the default setting). I haven't played with the dash cam in manual to see if it records the whole trip, or not. I didn't honk to see what that does as there were too many other cars about but I assume its the same as pressing the camera icon for now. I'm sure there must be some YouTube stuff about this 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: Wattsisname
Ok, so here you go...

Pressing the camera icon, will give you the last 10 minutes of driving plus about another minute after you pressed it. You get a red dot at the point you pressed the icon, so you can scrub straight to it. There is an option in the menu for the dash cam; OFF/Maunal/Auto. Mine was set to Auto (I assume it is the default setting). I haven't played with the dash cam in manual to see if it records the whole trip, or not. I didn't honk to see what that does as there were too many other cars about but I assume its the same as pressing the camera icon for now. I'm sure there must be some YouTube stuff about this 😂
Thank you.

Thanks for this. Really appreciate the review. Have your thought about the driving automation and what is the real life experience from the drives?
TBH I didn't try the automation on the EV6 but I've seen enough YouTube videos to know it has at least 3 different semi-autonomous driving modes with enough acronyms to fill up a couple of pages! See this link & scroll down to the Stay Safe section for full details. The MY's is camera based whereas I think the EV6's is radar & camera for when you're using "Intelligent speed limit assist" aka keeping to the posted speed limit automatically. The lane assist on the EV6 is on by default from every start & some YouTubers find that very annoying as it can be too bossy. Fortunately there's a button on the steering wheel to disable it.

Reactions: ean36t
Hello everyone, 1st post here with a blue/white/19"/EAP MYLR ordered towards the end of April & a theoretical EDD of Sept - it's with Lex so I can't track the RN number. But I know it may be heresy to mention it in this forum, I also have a EV6 GTLine-S AWD with a heat pump (top spec) on order too. That was placed in late Dec 21 with an original EDD of April/May but that, due to all the reasons we know so well, has been pushed to maybe 4Q, maybe 1Q23 - which is why I also ordered the MY. I've driven both several times, and I thought I'd summarise my purely subjective +/- of each
Tesla + : space everywhere, practicality, straight line speed, phone entry, Supercharger network before it was opened to all, sound system, OTA updates, acceptable ride
Tesla - : ordering "experience", lack of service centres (my nearest in any direction is an hour away), delivery "experience", no Car Play or AA, no HUD, no parcel shelf, no matrix lights, not great handling
Kia + : HUD, normal & highly customisable controls & instruments, opening sunroof, neat handling, well sorted ride, ultra-fast charging capability, V2L technology, Apple Car Play & AA (although not wireless without a dongle), matrix lights, parcel shelf, quieter, dealer is 15 mins away with highly personal service
Kia - : no battery pre-conditioning prior to charge, less space overall (particularly for tall people), relatively small boot & miniscule "froot" especially vs the car's size, ho-hum sound system, no OTA updates (yet), a bit slower that the MY in a straight line, no "white" option to lighten the interior, approx 20-30 miles less range than the MY, nascent accessories infrastructure

So which is to be - the MY or the EV6? To an extent, it will depend on which turns up first. I have a suspicion that it'll be the EV6 because Kia's ordering system gives far better visibility about when your order goes into production and on to being shipped. There's none of this absurd guessing game of not knowing how many RHD MYs are on which ship, and the lottery of quarter-end allocations to waiting customers. But real my point is that there's some serious competition arriving. Apart from the EV6, I see the BMW iX1 has been announced - that would be a contender for my ££ too & others will follow from manufacturers who understand customer service.

Reflecting further, having been a reader of this (& other) Tesla forums and purely from a non-owner's perspective, there's something of "The Emperor's New Clothes" about the Tesla experience. To me, Elon does not care one jot about his customers as everything about the Tesla customer experience is really, really poor - from the shabby showrooms (and totally energy inefficient btw), to an thoroughly impersonal ordering process, awful collection process (I mean, come on everyone, being forced to go to some god-awful wind-swept industrial park hours away from home to pick up a vehicle with only a 3 day window - how can that EVER be considered acceptable "service" for a £50-60k car?), and poor after-sales service. Tesla evangelists - and I can see there are plenty here - prefer to be blind to these glaring faults. I really struggle to understand why.

Tesla's initial advantages of being a genuine innovator, and bringing something genuinely special to the market (both of which are 100% true) are being gradually eroded by the mainstream manufacturers catching up. For the vast majority of would-be BEV owners, the truth of the current Tesla experience may come as a shock - it did to me. So why do I persist with the order? That's a good question......:oops:😏
1. The competition are possibly catching up but not there yet.
2. The competition's delivery times are not great either.
3. There is still a certain mystique in owning a Tesla; it feels like buying more than just a car though I can't define it.
4. We can still feel a little bit smug about being early Tesla adopters - in reality we are not compared with some actual early adopters - but we are, at least in spirit. I promised myself a Tesla, one day, back in 2015 and therefore became - in my mind- an early adopter and owner in waiting. I would have bought a M3, back when, but found it a little too snug for my tall frame and the fact that the Y was rumoured caused me to wait.
5. As to the competitions' offerings, good as they maybe, just don't excite me.

Having said all that, I might find the reality of ownership something of an anti climax, I don't believe I will, but if I do, I won't be admitting it to anyone and especially not SWMBO:rolleyes: .

Last edited:
Which will make your mobile iPad even more special - when you finally get it:).
As Tony the car dealer on the Fast Show might have said "A model Y is like a beautiful woman baby...but you have to be patient with the nine months
gestation period."
‘You have to take her home, pull your cable out, shove it in the back and make sure she’s topped up regularly’

D8D7EF10-AE76-42DA-B436-C195E4D59947.jpeg

(apologies to anyone too young for the Fast Show)

Last edited:
After watching loads of YT videos of all 3 We test drove the Ioniq 5 and Kia Ev6 first and come away feeling pretty underwhelmed.

Lack of space, cluttered dashboards with super sluggish touchscreen OS's, felt really enclosed and dark and the price racked up nearly as high as the Y when including all the upgrades, then the waiting times of next year 2023 jan-feb earliest was a bit of a letdown too.

Lastly, we test drove the Y and as soon as we step foot in it, it sold itself. Loved the minimalism, super clean white interior, amazing sunroof made it feel so open. The Space was shockingly impressive will cater for all our camping needs. UI was super responsive, even the voice control worked well. The drive was great too, super fast, almost sporty (we currently own a Range Rover Evoque First edition - 20 plate - which is an amazing car in it's own right).. but increasing fuel prices have us now trading that for a model Y... can't wait.

After watching loads of YT videos of all 3 We test drove the Ioniq 5 and Kia Ev6 first and come away feeling pretty underwhelmed.

Lack of space, cluttered dashboards with super sluggish touchscreen OS's, felt really enclosed and dark and the price racked up nearly as high as the Y when including all the upgrades, then the waiting times of next year 2023 jan-feb earliest was a bit of a letdown too.

Lastly, we test drove the Y and as soon as we step foot in it, it sold itself. Loved the minimalism, super clean white interior, amazing sunroof made it feel so open. The Space was shockingly impressive will cater for all our camping needs. UI was super responsive, even the voice control worked well. The drive was great too, super fast, almost sporty (we currently own a Range Rover Evoque First edition - 20 plate - which is an amazing car in it's own right).. but increasing fuel prices have us now trading that for a model Y... can't wait.
Plus the ioniq 5 is a thirsty pig of a car! You’re lucky to get 3mpkwh

Ugly cars with ugly buttons everywhere

I would argue that I never had to wait in line for 6 months for an iPhone…
But I don't think the iPhone analogy is about the waiting time, it's about being part of an (almost) early adoption cohort and buying in to the future.

I remember the seventies when there were fields full of cars waiting for customers who would never buy. This was the time when MIchael Edwards, CEO of BMC Leyland, helped to speed the British car industry's slide down the slippery slope to oblivion.

There are so many good reasons why we have to wait for our Teslas and even more good reasons why it's worth the wait.:)

P.S. IMHO that is.

Reactions: ean36t and MrMoonUK
Plus the ioniq 5 is a thirsty pig of a car! You’re lucky to get 3mpkwh

Ugly cars with ugly buttons everywhere
Yeh in the winter i was getting 180 miles. That’s driving like a granny without heating on! I sold it after 3 months and have a model y on order since. Showing September at the mo after being april then may for so long.
I4 is nice. Just not very big. But efficient. You will be waiting for that too.

Reactions: ean36t
Yeh in the winter i was getting 180 miles. That’s driving like a granny without heating on! I sold it after 3 months and have a model y on order since. Showing September at the mo after being april then may for so long.
I4 is nice. Just not very big. But efficient. You will be waiting for that too.
Wow! Thank God it is not available in the UK with the Pano Roof. I might have given it some consideration...only as pro tempore, pending the Y.

Now then...where did this glass roof obsession come from..........Oh yes! SWMBO's Fiat500. I bought my X3 without one...nice headlining though, 🥲 I suppose.

As I ordered through Octopus I’ve not been able to join in the anguish of the EDD saga.

Until now.

From when I ordered, in the Octopus tracker it has shown an arbitrary date of 29th July. No way they could have known for certain at the beginning of April. But yesterday it has changed to 28th July. Oh the excitement 😂🤣

Wow! Thank God it is not available in the UK with the Pano Roof. I might have given it some consideration...only as pro tempore, pending the Y.

Now then...where did this glass roof obsession come from..........Oh yes! SWMBO's Fiat500. I bought my X3 without one...nice headlining though, 🥲 I suppose.
Its a nice car. Some neat features. V2l is great but in reality i never used it. Id say camping / power cuts could dig you out of a hole.

It wrangled me when i pre ordered pan roof and pop out handles were spec. By the time it came loads were missed off it. 7 months to come. Had top spec with heat pump but efficiency was pants no matter how you drove it. Its very slab fronted so as aero as a brick i suspect.

I still have an ipace and it drives better than the ioniq. At least i know that car isn’t very efficient.

Fingers crossed all our y’s come sooner than they estimate.

As I ordered through Octopus I’ve not been able to join in the anguish of the EDD saga.

Until now.

From when I ordered, in the Octopus tracker it has shown an arbitrary date of 29th July. No way they could have known for certain at the beginning of April. But yesterday it has changed to 28th July. Oh the excitement 😂🤣
Do Octopus have a batch order like Zen? With later orders prioritised over older ones which means they must be from batch orders?