Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y UK Delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So if that’s the case then why can I get a quote of on average of £1200 on a Y LR from 20+ insurers without a VRN but for a RWD only admiral as I said earlier for £1800? And that’s only if I call them. No one else will quote or are at all interested.
I’m not doing anything special here so I’d suggest your insurance risk profile causing potential insurers to refuse to quote you, and then Admiral compounding the problem with base incompetence on the phones. £1800 a year does seem steep given I can get the same thing for well under £600 and the LR thing is doubly weird. I did an LR quote with CtM immediately after the RWD quote and it came out £30 a year more expensive, which seemed logical.

I don’t consider myself a particularly “good” insurance risk either given I have little (3 years) NCB and a named driver with a claim.

I’m not doing anything special here so I’d suggest your insurance risk profile causing potential insurers to refuse to quote you, and then Admiral compounding the problem with base incompetence on the phones. £1800 a year does seem steep given I can get the same thing for well under £600 and the LR thing is doubly weird. I did an LR quote with CtM immediately after the RWD quote and it came out £30 a year more expensive, which seemed logical.

I don’t consider myself a particularly “good” insurance risk either given I have little (3 years) NCB and a named driver with a claim.
We’re going round in circles here. I’ve already shown you previously that there was another thread set up by other members having the same trouble.

We’re going round in circles here. I’ve already shown you previously that there was another thread set up by other members having the same trouble.
Which was largely resolved a couple of weeks back. You need to ring insurers and physically talk to them. At that point their underwriters will decide if they want your business or not. If not move to the next one. Admiral seem to cover RWD but it does seem to depends who you get on the fone. Am glad am leasing (and LR ) and dont have to bother with this...

Last edited:
Because all those members are behaving in the same manner and expecting the results to differ. Including you.

I’m just trying to point out politely that the problem is probably you, and indeed those other members suffering in the same way.

Get a quote reference online - meaning you have been made an offer of insurance - and pay for it on day of collection with your just-registered VRN. End of.

Reactions: Danzr
Because all those members are behaving in the same manner and expecting the results to differ. Including you.

I’m just trying to point out politely that the problem is probably you, and indeed those other members suffering in the same way.

Get a quote reference online - meaning you have been made an offer of insurance - and pay for it on day of collection with your just-registered VRN. End of.

I understand what your saying and that is what I am trying to do, get general quote that I’m happy with, inform them of reg when I receive it then take out said policy on collection of car. but there is a problem in the system that won’t give me a quote on the RWD as seen here. I’m not signing collection of a £50k car and waiting for Tesla to do the reg so that I might be able to get a quote from someone in Brent Cross car park on Xmas eve.

Yet here is exactly the same profile (me and the mrs) for a Y Performance with 19 quotes. No VRN on either yet they will quote on the higher spec more expensive car, it’s not right.

Attachments

• 63519F85-25BF-46BF-9843-6C47DCFB506E.png
    63519F85-25BF-46BF-9843-6C47DCFB506E.png
    652.4 KB · Views: 82
  • B7A2D3B5-04EA-4E20-B36B-5193BDFBA7CB.png
    B7A2D3B5-04EA-4E20-B36B-5193BDFBA7CB.png
    400.4 KB · Views: 47
I understand what your saying and that is what I am trying to do, get general quote that I’m happy with, inform them of reg when I receive it then take out said policy on collection of car. but there is a problem in the system that won’t give me a quote on the RWD as seen here. I’m not signing collection of a £50k car and waiting for Tesla to do the reg so that I might be able to get a quote from someone in Brent Cross car park on Xmas eve.

Yet here is exactly the same profile (me and the mrs) for a Y Performance with 19 quotes. No VRN on either yet they will quote on the higher spec more expensive car, it’s not right.
Gut feel here is that something in your risk profile is excluding RWD quotes unexpectedly, possibly because of a misconfiguration. Difficult for me to be authoritative on what of course, and I completely agree (and empathise!) that the profiling looks "off" given you can clearly get LR and P quotes underwritten.

Others, including me, can get underwritten enough for a CtM quote on an RWD, and RWD is demonstrably a perfectly valid trim specification on CtM and Admiral at the very least. Unfortunately individual underwriting decisions are ... opaque ... at best and don't always make observable sense even when they're not completely opaque.

I think you'll have to keep attacking Admiral and going up the chain until you can find someone who can explain why they'll underwrite you on a Performance, but not on a RWD. Which I think was pretty much the outcome of the other thread.

EDIT: if it helps....

Screenshot 2022-12-05 at 15.14.48.png

637hp for an RWD clearly isn't factually right, and your own risk factors might then cause underwriters to simply refuse to insure you whereas perhaps I don't have the same hp restrictions and risk factors (i'm over 50...) so insurance is being offered to me, at least. Here's the stated kW performances of each vehicle, converted to mechanical hp mathematically ... you can see those numbers in the screenshot match up for the LR and the P, but not the RWD.

RWD = 342hp (255kW)
Long Range AWD = 507hp (378kW)
Performance = 527hp (393kW)

Last edited:
Question
How do you tax /ulez/congestion charge your new car? Because my reg is not recognised yet so can’t do anything yet. Do I need to do all that in the park lot when I get the car or we have a one day exemption ?
Tax is handled by Tesla as part of the purchase.

ULEZ is automatic provided Tesla register your VRN as “ELECTRIC”. Don’t think this has ever gone wrong so you won’t get billed.

I believe you’ll have to pay the congestion charge until you can apply for the exemption.

Gut feel here is that something in your risk profile is excluding RWD quotes unexpectedly, possibly because of a misconfiguration. Difficult for me to be authoritative on what of course, and I completely agree (and empathise!) that the profiling looks "off" given you can clearly get LR and P quotes underwritten.

Others, including me, can get underwritten enough for a CtM quote on an RWD, and RWD is demonstrably a perfectly valid trim specification on CtM and Admiral at the very least. Unfortunately individual underwriting decisions are ... opaque ... at best and don't always make observable sense even when they're not completely opaque.

I think you'll have to keep attacking Admiral and going up the chain until you can find someone who can explain why they'll underwrite you on a Performance, but not on a RWD. Which I think was pretty much the outcome of the other thread.

EDIT: if it helps....

View attachment 881661

637hp for an RWD clearly isn't factually right, and your own risk factors might then cause underwriters to simply refuse to insure you whereas perhaps I don't have the same hp restrictions and risk factors (i'm over 50...) so insurance is being offered to me, at least. Here's the stated kW performances of each vehicle, converted to mechanical hp mathematically ... you can see those numbers in the screenshot match up for the LR and the P, but not the RWD.

RWD = 342hp (255kW)
Long Range AWD = 507hp (378kW)
Performance = 527hp (393kW)
As of this morning I have been able to receive one quote from a company called Darwin on CtM for £1340 which is miles more sensible. Also I have just received my reg number so ill be taking that out I think ready for collection on Xmas eve 👍🏻

As of this morning I have been able to receive one quote from a company called Darwin on CtM for £1340 which is miles more sensible. Also I have just received my reg number so ill be taking that out I think ready for collection on Xmas eve 👍🏻
Good news !

Incidentally Darwin are a "UK Insurance" brand, so part of Direct Line, Churchill etc.

Reactions: Russty
I'm all set to pick up from Brent Cross later today, so if it is of help to anyone, here's how it has gone so far...

Saturday November 26 - Ordered the LR immediately following the test drive,
Received RN number immediately. Nothing matching spec in inventory.

Monday 28th - Tesla text, pre-delivery tasks now complete.
EDD 16 January - 22 February No hidden VIN.

Wednesday 30th - Spotted an inventory vehicle with exact same spec. No Hidden VIN at this point.
Went on chat to Tesla (Emma) and had the inventory vehicle matched to order switched from collect NEC to collect London Brent Cross.
Text received later from Emma confirming that car had been assigned to my order. Hidden VIN found.

Thursday 1st Dec - Tesla text, "arrival date is being calculated". EDD moves to 7th December - 23rd December

Friday 2nd Dec - Tesla text "Action Required - Your Model Y is ready to be scheduled for collection.
I followed the link, and was offered choice of 3 collection days - Wed 7th, Thu 8th, Fri 9th.
Opted for Wednesday (after checking rail strike days), 3pm was earliest slot left, so took it.

Booked train ticket from Birmingham to Euston (£25.70).
I intend to Uber from Brent Cross tube station (Northern line), otherwise a 20-minute walk.

Tuesday 6th
Final payment invoice appears in App.
Tesla text, license plate and VIN number
Also receive 'Service Invoice' via email, zero cost for retro-fitting mud flaps, and applying paint protection (not quite sure what that is). This requires acceptance by e-sign.
Sent CHAPS payment for remaining balance.

Today, Dec 7th - Nice Sunny day, here in the midlands with a sharp frost at my location.
Now 2 hours away from boarding the train!

A note about insurance;
I'm with Direct Line for insuring my existing EV (one of the Stellantis 50kW family). I got them to quote for switching to the Model Y LR AWD last week, and they gave me a price of £169 additional premium to take me through to policy renewal which is mid April.
However, it wasn't until yesterday when I came to arrange the policy, that I became aware that the agent had selected the car as being Model 3.
No matter, upon supplying the correct car details, the additional premium came down to £132. I'm all sorted now.

Reactions: Eddygrant

Performance insurance for me was £2500
LR was £3000

So I ended up with performance

My friend got RWD with admiral £1,200

You can always lock in a quote now, on x’mas eve if you can find a better quote call & cancel

Reactions: Russty