Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y unveiling event 2019-03-14 (official thread)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Love Tesla design generally, but I’m not a fan of the Y. It really does look like a 3 just photoshopped to be bigger. It just looks like lazy design, frankly. The X also looks like it’s derived from the S, but it retains some very unique design lines. The Y literally just looks like a 3 in need of a diet. Sort of disappointed.

The increased utility of the Y is fantastic though.

I wasn't expecting anything else really. It's designed to get them into the market without having to outlay another billion bucks for a new line. So that's what they did.

The low resolution video from the stream made the blue one on stage look really lame. However the red one on the website and that white one somebody configured and posted look decent. If only they made it in Model X size. That third row is going to be rediculous.

If you want bigger then just get an X man. If it was the same size it wouldn't have made any sense to have made this at all.

MY is the combine between MX and M3. Nice

Attachments

• 63713D5B-2D7C-4875-A534-59B97E14C24A.png
    63713D5B-2D7C-4875-A534-59B97E14C24A.png
    428.2 KB · Views: 95
Anyone spending extra money for the 7-seat option is just throwing money away or investing in TSLA at 0%. There is no way you can fit 2 extra people into a car that is “10% bigger” than a M3. Even the X’s 3rd row is a very small and cramped space.

Besides that, I think the overall design is as expected. Doesn’t make sense for Tesla to unveil a completely new design language at this point.
This will do well for buyers also looking at the X4, GLE coupe, Q4, QX50, and Macan.
These others cars are all similar in size....and none have 7 seats. Just. Not. Practical. (Even to just get down the street).

Reactions: outie and Cosmacelf
Love Tesla design generally, but I’m not a fan of the Y. It really does look like a 3 just photoshopped to be bigger. It just looks like lazy design, frankly. The X also looks like it’s derived from the S, but it retains some very unique design lines. The Y literally just looks like a 3 in need of a diet. Sort of disappointed.

One thing that has always attracted me to Tesla is how they do NOT make meaningless style changes just for the sake of change. Most of the complaints about the Model 3 were that (a) it's a sedan with a normal trunk, not a rear hatch; (b) lack of head room in the rear seat, and (c) lack of a tow rating.

Assuming the Model Y solves all those problems, and it probably does, then it seems to me that the Model Y is exactly what the market wants, and should sell very well indeed.

Just my opinion, of course.

The low resolution video from the stream made the blue one on stage look really lame. However the red one on the website and that white one somebody configured and posted look decent. If only they made it in Model X size. That third row is going to be rediculous.
Umm - if they made that in the Model X size, then it would be the Model X.