Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y vs Rivian R1S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love the technology of what Tesla is doing, but I love the format of the R1S. With all of the production issues Tesla went through, and the massive number of pre-orders that Rivian has, if I ordered now, I would not see one possibly until 2022. I just can't wait that long to go electric. Plus, I have a Tesla wall charger already. Going to have to actually install it at some point.

Even if Rivian eventually sells a $55K vehicle it could take five years to work the bugs out and have a reasonable charging network.

Super charging and Teslas infrastructure is a game changer.

Rivian won't be able to keep up

I'm not saying EA + others are better than the Supercharger network today, but Rivian takes CCS like every other fast charging EV.

The EA stations support up to 350 kw, and if you look at Plugshare there are an enormous amount of CCS locations*. This will probably grow exponentially as VW, Porsche, Audi, Mercedes, BMW, Ford, Rivian, Jaguar, Hyundai/Kia, Volvo/Polestar and others ramp up production over the coming months/years.

*In the US. Europe has even more networks.

Reactions: dzmconstr
Imagine that the aftermarket will produce a lift kit for the Y if owners want more off road capability

Even Jeep come standard with relatively low ride heights to optimize safe handling, ride comfort and fuel economy. Then various lift kits are optional to give additional off road capability.

I don't believe the production deliveries are supposed to start until Q4. Lots of time to upgrade a factory and pump out some vehicles. Look what Elon did in 1 year! Mud puddle to cars in a little more than that amount of time, and Rivian has an existing factory that they have been upgrading for some time.

Ok, I doubt that they will have any production volume in that time either. But it would be nice to see another startup make it to the point of being purchased by Ford.

Mud puddle to cars in a little more than that amount of time, and Rivian has an existing factory that they have been upgrading for some time.

Totally different situation and environment and company experience.

This is Rivian's first vehicle, you'd think they'd be doing extensive testing in the wild before building the machine that builds the machine. You only start building out the production line once you've put pencils down on the design and testing.

They have the backing of Ford and Amazon. Why do you think they will fail?

I don't think they'll fail. I just don't think they'll achieve mass production of either R1S or R1T (1000/week).

Amazon doesn't have car mfging experience, and Ford has their own challenges to overcome. It's not like Ford can just sink resources into keeping Rivian afloat.

Also, based on what I've seen of the R1T, it's got too many bells and whistles that can fail: too much potential for recalls. Too many doors, nooks and crannies, lights and pieces (lidar), etc. etc.

The R1T is literally designed to attract investors, not for production.

Totally different situation and environment and company experience.

This is Rivian's first vehicle, you'd think they'd be doing extensive testing in the wild before building the machine that builds the machine. You only start building out the production line once you've put pencils down on the design and testing.
They've driven two of them from Tierra Del Fuego to Los Angeles. Also one in Canada. I think that is fairly extensive.

I think you need to be better informed before making such negative remarks.

Remember, Tesla was a 'brand new' company with no products once. Oh, that's right... quite recently by car OEM standards.

They've driven two of them from Tierra Del Fuego to Los Angeles. Also one in Canada. I think that is fairly extensive.

Cool, I was just pointing out that there aren't any videos of the Rivians out in the wild. If you find one, let me know. I forgot about that Argentina test.

Otherwise, ya, it's good to see they did one distance test with the vehicles. I'm not being negative here, just realistic. I give them a 20% chance of reaching 1000/wk with either R1T or R1S.

Although it hasn’t been announced yet, I would assume servicing would be available at Ford dealerships.

That will turn out to be a difficult problem. EV’s require very little service and most dealerships will be reluctant to make the investment in training, tools, and facilities. Look at Nissan. Very few dealerships are able to service their Leaf. When I had my Leaf, there were 3 Nissan dealerships in Las Vegas and only 1 had a Leaf tech. A year later he transferred and none of the 3 would service my Leaf.

Yeah I know just like 1 yr ago there were so many in the wild sightings of the Y....
Dzm

Y'all funny. Y is 75% of 3, likely same proven and tested powertrain and battery tech. Y was revealed 3/19, first wild pics 5/19, first wild videos 9/19. Tesla semi has been testing in the wild for last 2 years.

R1T was revealed 11/18, has quad motors, new design, new everything. Much higher complexity than Teslas, apart from maybe the X. And they plan to charge 69k for a 105kwh car with 230mi range. Lol.

Service is a big deal. I work about 10 minutes from a Tesla service center. I have never even heard if any Rivian service center / show rooms / dealers exist. Has anyone seen one yet?
Exactly why I canceled my R1T order. I really wanted the pickup but after thinking about service I decided to cancel my order and I put a deposit on a Cyber Truck. My only issue is I have the patience of a 5 year old so When the Rivian comes to market 1 year sooner than Cyber I may change my mind.