Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rivian vs Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick Search returned with 120 listings:

I would be curious if the dealerships had any of these actually on the lot. I worked at a dealership and marketing department will post ads “without real photos” like these to get customers into the showroom to pre-sell or hard sell them when they call and work them long enough to make a deposit for one. It works really well. They could have them in stock but the only way to be sure is to visit the dealer or get a salesman to text you current photos.

I would be curious if the dealerships had any of these actually on the lot. I worked at a dealership and marketing department will post ads “without real photos” like these to get customers into the showroom to pre-sell or hard sell them when they call and work them long enough to make a deposit for one. It works really well. They could have them in stock but the only way to be sure is to visit the dealer or get a salesman to text you current photos.
not sure, but average sales price of $70k before TTL and Markups is hard to swallow for sure.

not sure, but average sales price of $70k before TTL and Markups is hard to swallow for sure.
Don’t disagree at with that. I never looked at one or cross shopped it as it’s not big enough for my daily use. If someone is into smaller hatchbacks, I can see owning the GV60 over a model 3 so long as you’re not touring in it. What are the markup you are seeing on the GV60? The new GV70ev and XC90ev could be good sellers. Personally, I think all these car companies for exception of Tesla are going to have a very hard time producing enough to keep up with demand.

I test drove the R1T and MYP the same day. I like both. I can't afford the R1T and the charging on road trips would be difficult. There is no question for me that the Rivian is a better vehicle. I loved the R1t, but not the $80k price.
Totally agree. When I heard they were making a non quad motor (dual motor ) and said it was cheaper...I did not realize that it had the price tag of that $80k..o well.....

I test drove the R1T and MYP the same day. I like both. I can't afford the R1T and the charging on road trips would be difficult. There is no question for me that the Rivian is a better vehicle. I loved the R1t, but not the $80k price.
I have owned a R1T for 13 months and a MYLR for 6 months. It’s hard to compare the two since the mission of both is so different. The only valid comparison between the two is software competence and support. What I can say is that while Tesla is a much more mature software OS, Rivian is working very hard to keep updating the vehicle OS and is very diligent about pushing OTA updates every 4-6 weeks squashing bugs and enhancing the vehicle experience. Both vehicles tick different boxes and I’d really hate to have to make a decision between the two.

The One Electric Vehicle That Everyone Who Owns One Loves​

The automotive is in the midst of change, with electric cars now increasing in popularity and talks of gas-powered cars being banned by 2035. With their increasing popularity comes choice. Every major car brand is now bringing out versions of electric vehicles, much to consumers' delight. The days of Tesla being the conglomerate brand in this market is now long gone, and one car is wowing consumers more than any, the Rivian's R1T electric pickup (and R1S SUV).

but man. . those headlights. why oval rings? they are a nice alternative but if they were cheaper I would've picked on up.

I have owned a R1T for 13 months and a MYLR for 6 months. It’s hard to compare the two since the mission of both is so different. The only valid comparison between the two is software competence and support. What I can say is that while Tesla is a much more mature software OS, Rivian is working very hard to keep updating the vehicle OS and is very diligent about pushing OTA updates every 4-6 weeks squashing bugs and enhancing the vehicle experience. Both vehicles tick different boxes and I’d really hate to have to make a decision between the two.
they're two different platforms no? one's a truck and one's a compact suv. if I had money I'd get the r1t for myself and the MYLR for the family use.

One issue is that most manufacturers have a hard time beating Tesla’s battery/power train efficiency. For example, for the Model Y to get approximately 325 miles or EPA rated range, it has a 75 kWh battery. For the Ford Mustang Mach E to get around the same range in a similar configuration (e.g. AWD, wheel size, etc.), it has a 98 kWh battery. So the Mach E owner has to put in more energy to get the same mileage as the Model Y owner.

Yeah, but the MY can't realistically go 325 miles on a charge which results in the charging rate also being fake and somewhat useless as a comparison tool. Tesla can show 44 miles/hr as the charge rate but we all know it's more like 35. The 2023 Mach E claims 285 miles on a charge, and Inside EV's test made it 290 miles. EVERY Tesla fell way short EVERY time in their testing whereas most other manufactures match or exceed their rating. If the Mach E showed the real miles/hr charge rate, it would be 33-34.

Been a while since I "range tested" my 2018 Model 3 but yeah it went the distance. Arriving at a v3 Supercharger with 5% SOC made for a quick battery charging session.

Does this even matter for home charging? --> "Tesla can show 44 miles/hr as the charge rate but we all know it's more like 35."

Attachments

• DoveCreek_to_Edwards_Supercharger.JPG.png
    DoveCreek_to_Edwards_Supercharger.JPG.png
    1,009.8 KB · Views: 49
Yeah, but the MY can't realistically go 325 miles on a charge which results in the charging rate also being fake and somewhat useless as a comparison tool. Tesla can show 44 miles/hr as the charge rate but we all know it's more like 35. The 2023 Mach E claims 285 miles on a charge, and Inside EV's test made it 290 miles. EVERY Tesla fell way short EVERY time in their testing whereas most other manufactures match or exceed their rating. If the Mach E showed the real miles/hr charge rate, it would be 33-34.
I bet Inside EV didn't test MY and Mach E at the same time with all the same parameters, such as build date, mileage, SoC, Weight, tires, driving condition, etc. Biased setup can result in very different outcome.

Reactions: laservet
I’ve posted this before but I have routinely gotten 240 wh/mi in my MY LR. For a 330 mile range that equates to 330x0.24 = 79.2 kWh which is right in line with the battery size quotes I’ve seen.

This is, of course, under ideal conditions - no wind, not going faster than 55-60 MPH, clear, warm but not hot weather, etc. but it quite possible.

The bigger issue, IMO is there is no consistent way to rate and test EVs we see results from different methodologies in different makes and models making comparisons difficult at best.