Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Y Windshield Wait

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not trying to burst any bubbles here, but Tesla SC does not replace glass, nor to nearly all dealerships. They subcontract this work with local glass shops. True that Safelite can not recalibrate cameras on Tesla vehicles and it is required per Tesla work instructions. Not sure why a SC would say otherwise.
Definitely not true, The SC I go to in Rochester does the glass there, I know because I had to wait there while they pull my vehicle in and the glass go changed in an hour and a half. The thing to check for afterwards was to make sure the windshield and roof seam was matched up, there was another thread that showed a grossly mismatched seam where the windshield was sticking higher than the roof.

Reactions: AquaY and Eric9610
Not true. I had my glass replaced by safelite and the camera was fine.

Dealing with safelite was a million times easier than going through Tesla. They returned my phone calls and emails. It was fantastic.
My SC is very prompt and responds to all questions and comments. Also the comment I made is correct, in the event Safelite's installation affects the cameras you have to take it to Tesla. Safelite even confirmed to me they recommend taking the car to Tesla after they do the installation to confirm no damage was done to camera system.

Also my SC does all glass replacement in house. My MB dealer also does all glass work in house.

My SC is very prompt and responds to all questions and comments. Also the comment I made is correct, in the event Safelite's installation affects the cameras you have to take it to Tesla. Safelite even confirmed to me they recommend taking the car to Tesla after they do the installation to confirm no damage was done to camera system.

Also my SC does all glass replacement in house. My MB dealer also does all glass work in house.
Your original comment did not say “in the event” the installation effects the camera.

You said it “had to” be brought to Tesla. Big difference.

Safelite made no such recommendation to me. They clearly have worked with Tesla’s before and know what they are doing.

Reactions: AquaY
I have USAA insurance. Using their app they automatically send you to Safelite.
Safelite says they use OEM glass they get from tesla.
Using the app they tell you that the cameras have to be recalibrated and by continuing you agree to not use the safety features the cameras are part of until you get them recalibrated.
Speaking with Safelite today they confirmed the OEM parts and that they need to order the glass so it seems I am not getting my glass replaced anytime soon

Reactions: Eric9610
Just a heads up for people using their insurance to get a reimbursement for a windshield replacement thru the Tesla SC. My insurance company (Geico) told me that they would only reimburse up to $40/hr for labor for the windshield replacement. And that any rate above than will not be reimbursed. Tesla in SoCal quoted me $210/hr @ 2.25 hours ... for a total of $472.50 for labor. So I will be out $382.50; in addition for my $500 deductible.
If I were to use Geico's referral (safelite) on their website, the total cost is $900, of which I'm only paying my deductible of $500. And they do let you know that the front camera may need calibration

safelite has a 4-5 weeks wait for the glass, while Tesla SC said it was in stock, but appointment opening is about 2 weeks out

Just a heads up for people using their insurance to get a reimbursement for a windshield replacement thru the Tesla SC. My insurance company (Geico) told me that they would only reimburse up to $40/hr for labor for the windshield replacement. And that any rate above than will not be reimbursed. Tesla in SoCal quoted me $210/hr @ 2.25 hours ... for a total of $472.50 for labor. So I will be out $382.50; in addition for my $500 deductible.
If I were to use Geico's referral (safelite) on their website, the total cost is $900, of which I'm only paying my deductible of $500. And they do let you know that the front camera may need calibration

safelite has a 4-5 weeks wait for the glass, while Tesla SC said it was in stock, but appointment opening is about 2 weeks out
I have glass coverage. You should call and ask about that. it's usually real inexpensive and there is no deductible.
Different states of course have different rates and policies.
But in New York ( not an inexpensive state either for insurance) glass coverage is cheap.
My Tesla glass coverage for 0 deductible costs an additional $23.04 every 6 months.

Yyears ago I dealt with Geico. that little Gecko is one of the worst companies to deal with in my experience.
I would fight them on this. 1 if the cameras need to be recalibrated that's part of the replacement of the windshield. If Safelite can't do it then Tesla has to and the insurance should pay for it.
They insured your Tesla. You are paying comprehensive for your Tesla So that's part of it I would argue.
$40 labor in California or New York is ridiculously little. I looked up rates according to AAA and found this:
"As of January 17, 2017, auto repair shops in the AAA Approved Auto Repair network charged between $47 and $215 per hour, based primarily on the shop’s cost of doing business."
That's a national average from 4 years ago. For a state with high costs of living and taxes (HI, NY, CA, MA, RI, NJ etc) the rates would be on the higher end.
Geico is charging insurance for the state you live in ,which I believe is California. They can't pay out fees charged in Nebraska

I have glass coverage. You should call and ask about that. it's usually real inexpensive and there is no deductible.
Different states of course have different rates and policies.
But in New York ( not an inexpensive state either for insurance) glass coverage is cheap.
My Tesla glass coverage for 0 deductible costs an additional $23.04 every 6 months.

Yyears ago I dealt with Geico. that little Gecko is one of the worst companies to deal with in my experience.
I would fight them on this. 1 if the cameras need to be recalibrated that's part of the replacement of the windshield. If Safelite can't do it then Tesla has to and the insurance should pay for it.
They insured your Tesla. You are paying comprehensive for your Tesla So that's part of it I would argue.
$40 labor in California or New York is ridiculously little. I looked up rates according to AAA and found this:
"As of January 17, 2017, auto repair shops in the AAA Approved Auto Repair network charged between $47 and $215 per hour, based primarily on the shop’s cost of doing business."
That's a national average from 4 years ago. For a state with high costs of living and taxes (HI, NY, CA, MA, RI, NJ etc) the rates would be on the higher end.
Geico is charging insurance for the state you live in ,which I believe is California. They can't pay out fees charged in Nebraska
I actually added full glass coverage to my MY last month, mainly concerned about the roof. Cost is $80/yr here in NJ with AMICA.

When I spoke with the SC they had me keep the 2nd ticket open with the hope that the windshield would arrive before that date. On August 3rd I got a status email about the windshield saying it had shipped on 7/29 with a scheduled delivery of 7/31. I'm not sure I should believe this email, because just a day earlier, on 8/2, I called the service center to see if things were looking good for the 8/6 appointment. While the response I got was encouraging and they said they expected the windshield to arrive in time, I didn't get the impression that they had already received it.

So much for getting lucky. A little after noon on 8/5 I received a text saying the windshield hadn't arrived and that there was no need to come in for my appointment. The service request is no longer visible in the app. I got no reply to a text asking a followup question.

I managed to reach someone at the SC by phone and he wasn't able to offer any better news. It sounds like the internal shipment tracking in Tesla isn't reliable and that this isn't a one-off problem with windshields or with shipping delays. Supposedly I'll eventually receive an email saying the windshield has actually arrived. I won't trust it until I confirm with the SC. They might as well not be sending any status emails when the information in them isn't accurate.

It looks like my Model 3 SR+ is going on a road trip, because I had plans to take the LR Y out of town this weekend and I don't think I want to go on a multi-hour drive where I have to look through a cracked windshield the whole time.

I plan to add the Glass insurance although StateFarm was really easy to work with on the reimbursement as they are aware Tesla's repair costs are much higher and they approved my full quote minus deductible of $250. The only thing that was slow was the processing time for the adjuster to approve, once approved next day payment deposited.

I actually added full glass coverage to my MY last month, mainly concerned about the roof. Cost is $80/yr here in NJ with AMICA.
I never thought abut the roof!. Perhaps that's why the glass coverage is more for my Tesla than my RAM1500.
$23.04 versus $14.82
So much for getting lucky. A little after noon on 8/5 I received a text saying the windshield hadn't arrived and that there was no need to come in for my appointment. The service request is no longer visible in the app. I got no reply to a text asking a followup question.

I managed to reach someone at the SC by phone and he wasn't able to offer any better news. It sounds like the internal shipment tracking in Tesla isn't reliable and that this isn't a one-off problem with windshields or with shipping delays......
Bummer. At least you can take solace in that we're in the same glassless boat :)
I've been waiting too in Vancouver, BC Canada. On a waitlist with our local Tesla approved glass shop and its been over a month waiting. Tesla definitely needs to work on their logistics for auto glass.
They certainly do. For all the great things about Tesla their service is really not one of them.

I have been waiting for 3 months for a windshield replacement. About a month ago I got a call from the service center and was told my windshield replacement had come in but it was damaged so they had to order another one and it would come in 5 business days and they would call me and give me an update as soon as they received it or if it was delayed. Fast forward another month no call or communication from Tesla. I go into the Tesla app to make another appointment with the original request to have the windshield replaced. Drive all the way to the service center and was told that I now need to take it to a third party glass shop because they don’t have any windshields for my car.

It’s amazing to me that such a simple process such as service and repair is so damn complicated for Tesla. It makes me want to cancel my CT reservation and never buy another Tesla. By far the worst customer service and repair process of any car manufacturer.

3 months?
I have been waiting for 3 months for a windshield replacement. About a month ago I got a call from the service center and was told my windshield replacement had come in but it was damaged so they had to order another one and it would come in 5 business days and they would call me and give me an update as soon as they received it or if it was delayed. Fast forward another month no call or communication from Tesla. I go into the Tesla app to make another appointment with the original request to have the windshield replaced. Drive all the way to the service center and was told that I now need to take it to a third party glass shop because they don’t have any windshields for my car.

It’s amazing to me that such a simple process such as service and repair is so damn complicated for Tesla. It makes me want to cancel my CT reservation and never buy another Tesla. By far the worst customer service and repair process of any car manufacturer.
3 months?
:eek:
Does the third party shop have the glass?

I'm going on 3 weeks and getting nervous. Just texted and they are hoping for the 23rd which will make it a month and that's IF it happens.
I think I will get that windshield protective film. Even though it only lasts a year or 2 and isn't cheap, waiting 3 months for a windshield is ridiculous

Reactions: Golflaw4
3 months?

3 months?
:eek:
Does the third party shop have the glass?

I'm going on 3 weeks and getting nervous. Just texted and they are hoping for the 23rd which will make it a month and that's IF it happens.
I think I will get that windshield protective film. Even though it only lasts a year or 2 and isn't cheap, waiting 3 months for a windshield is ridiculous
I just spoke to safelite and they are telling me it’s going to be another 2-3 months until a replacement will be available.
I would understand if it was a weird rare part but a windshield?!?!?
I feel like Tesla should comp me a free windshield since it has taken so long. We could be looking at 6 months by the time I get a replacement LOL

I just spoke to safelite and they are telling me it’s going to be another 2-3 months until a replacement will be available.
I would understand if it was a weird rare part but a windshield?!?!?
I feel like Tesla should comp me a free windshield since it has taken so long. We could be looking at 6 months by the time I get a replacement LOL
I'm guessing my Service department isn't being honest. I'm assuming since this tread is about MY glass you have a Model Y.
If your glass has already taken longer than 3 months and Tesla told you to go to Safe lite ( which makes no sense since they have to order from Tesla because there is no aftermarket tesla glass ) and you are going to have to wait another few months I'm ( as well as you) as they say in hockey-----Pucked.

I was told Tesla glass comes from your side of the country . So I will have to wait longer than you I'm sure.
The glass does have a chip or chips in it. It's not your regular glass but 6 months?

I'm guessing my Service department isn't being honest. I'm assuming since this tread is about MY glass you have a Model Y.
If your glass has already taken longer than 3 months and Tesla told you to go to Safe lite ( which makes no sense since they have to order from Tesla because there is no aftermarket tesla glass ) and you are going to have to wait another few months I'm ( as well as you) as they say in hockey-----Pucked.

I was told Tesla glass comes from your side of the country . So I will have to wait longer than you I'm sure.
The glass does have a chip or chips in it. It's not your regular glass but 6 months?
Yes I have a 2021 Y. The best part about the whole thing is they first told me don’t go to safelite as they will get it faster and will have to recalibrate the cameras. Then the last time I spoke to the SC they told me to take it to safelite as it will be faster and they aren’t doing windshield replacements anymore. LOL I then asked about recalibrating the cameras and they told me THE CAR WILL DO IT ON ITS OWN AND I WONT NEED TO BRING IT IN. I am getting 2 completely different answers from the same service department.

Reactions: AquaY
Yes I have a 2021 Y. The best part about the whole thing is they first told me don’t go to safelite as they will get it faster and will have to recalibrate the cameras. Then the last time I spoke to the SC they told me to take it to safelite as it will be faster and they aren’t doing windshield replacements anymore. LOL I then asked about recalibrating the cameras and they told me THE CAR WILL DO IT ON ITS OWN AND I WONT NEED TO BRING IT IN. I am getting 2 completely different answers from the same service department.
I have appointments at both tesla and safelite.
Dealing with my service department has been nicer than your experience but I'm still waiting.
I made an appointment with Safelite because when i called them they said the windshield was in stock.
It wasn't.
I spoke with them to confirm and they said that was an error that i was told it was in stock and that they would have to order it from Tesla and it ships from California.
Safelite also told me tesla was not the only one backordered with windshields. Toyota and Honda were also but tesla was by far worse.
Whichever calls me first and says it's in I'll gp to and then cancel the other

Reactions: Eric9610