Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model Year 2022 Refresh M3/MY

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That beach buggy side by side comparison is the only solid prof of anything in this argument.
And that somehow means it’s proof of anything? I could explain this 10 different ways and you still wouldn’t grasp why it is a poor measure of CPU performance.
Your “source” is single thread on this forum started by a user who joined three weeks ago
Can you suggest a better source? As I’ve said multiple times already, there are hardly any end-users with access to the new MCU. Until we have more in-depth analyses this is what we have.
Who at first says it’s so fast that it feels like his home computer but then goes on to later say it feels faster but not that big of a difference between his old Intel based system. 😂😂😂
“Feels faster”… and you think this somehow supports your argument and not mine. Lol.

And that somehow means it’s proof of anything? I could explain this 10 different ways and you still wouldn’t grasp why it is a poor measure of CPU performance.

Can you suggest a better source? As I’ve said multiple times already, there are hardly any end-users with access to the new MCU. Until we have more in-depth analyses this is what we have.

“Feels faster”… and you think this somehow supports your argument and not mine. Lol.
Bro, I never stated that Beach buggy is a measure of CPU performance. And I’ve always acknowledged that the Ryzen processor is marginally faster at some functions is a better processor overall. that’s never been my disagreement,

My point is, and has always been, that that there are negligible real world differences inside the Tesla. In fact, ANY performance upgrade the chip has, is only noticeable on functions available when the car is stationary (i.e. some games, and some apps).

Beach buggy is a side by side demonstration that the both chips are identical in performance even in high cpu use cases. You can’t seriously contend that the A.D chip is 8x faster but can’t even sh ace a few seconds off the load time from a 2019 intel video???!?!

My biggest argument with you is the concept of “future proof”. You really don’t understand that. By the time this Intel chip is “unbearable” to you, everyone you know will already have a bigger, better, faster Tesla than you. You are not going to have anymore satisfaction, any less regret because you have a outdated Ryzen chip instead of Intel or any less desire for the new Tesla features currently available at that time. All the features you have available on the day you bought the car will be available to you forever at the same performance it is today. Which is nearly perfect whether it is Ryzen or intel.

The hardware (and software) upgrades you won’t have that are on all the next few Teslas are going to make you feel like your whole car, forget the infotainment processor, is obsolete long before either chip states feeling sluggish.
You know how many gen 1 m3 and my owners wish they had gotten the 2021 refresh, on a car they owned less than 2 years?

You just don’t have enough live experience to realize that yet, but you will eventually.

And I’ve always acknowledged that the Ryzen processor is marginally faster at some functions is a better processor overall. that’s never been my disagreement,
You’re just a liar, a goalpost mover. If you want me to pull up all your comments from earlier referring to the Ryzen as a “lateral movement”, rather than an upgrade, I can.
You can’t seriously contend that the A.D chip is 8x faster but can’t even sh ace a few seconds off the load time from a 2019 intel video???!?!
Yes I can? The very Reddit thread you linked discussing the Intel vs. Ryzen has those stats from Cinebench testing. Your entire argument relies on the assumption that the Intel is bottlenecked when loading up a simple racing game. That assumption is baseless. Again, it’s obvious you have zero understanding about computers other than “faster ‘chip’ should make everything faster all the time with no exceptions.” You are legitimately clueless.
My biggest argument with you is the concept of “future proof”. You really don’t understand that. By the time this Intel chip is “unbearable” to you, everyone you know will already have a bigger, better, faster Tesla than you. You are not going to have anymore satisfaction, any less regret because you have a outdated Ryzen chip instead of Intel or any less desire for the new Tesla features currently available at that time. All the features you have available on the day you bought the car will be available to you forever at the same performance it is today. Which is nearly perfect whether it is Ryzen or intel.

The hardware (and software) upgrades you won’t have that are on all the next few Teslas are going to make you feel like your whole car, forget the infotainment processor, is obsolete long before either chip states feeling sluggish.
You know how many gen 1 m3 and my owners wish they had gotten the 2021 refresh, on a car they owned less than 2 years?

You just don’t have enough live experience to realize that yet, but you will eventually.
Let’s just keep ignoring the real world situation that Legacy S/X owners faced/are facing with MCU1. This has been brought up multiple times to you and you continue to put your fingers in your ears pretending it’s not real and never happened.

In fact, I’m done repeating myself for the millionth time. This has been like speaking to a brick wall. You state conjecture as fact, cherry-pick things to discuss, and conveniently ignore 75% of any counterpoints that come your way. I should have stepped away from this conversation earlier like I originally wanted to. I honestly feel silly that I’ve spent so much spare time today trying to explain something to someone who clearly won’t change their mind even when concrete proof comes later down the line. I’m out of this debate. Maybe someone else who has more patience than me can get through to you ✌️

You’re just a liar, a goalpost mover. If you want me to pull up all your comments from earlier referring to the Ryzen as a “lateral movement”, rather than an upgrade, I can.

Yes I can? The very Reddit thread you linked discussing the Intel vs. Ryzen has those stats from Cinebench testing. Your entire argument relies on the assumption that the Intel is bottlenecked when loading up a simple racing game. That assumption is baseless. Again, it’s obvious you have zero understanding about computers other than “faster ‘chip’ should make everything faster all the time with no exceptions.” You are legitimately clueless.

Let’s just keep ignoring the real world situation that Legacy S/X owners faced/are facing with MCU1. This has been brought up multiple times to you and you continue to put your fingers in your ears pretending it’s not real and never happened.

In fact, I’m done repeating myself for the millionth time. This has been like speaking to a brick wall. You state conjecture as fact, cherry-pick things to discuss, and conveniently ignore 75% of any counterpoints that come your way. I should have stepped away from this conversation earlier like I originally wanted to. I honestly feel silly that I’ve spent so much spare time today trying to explain something to someone who clearly won’t change their mind even when concrete proof comes later down the line. I’m out of this debate. Maybe someone else who has more patience than me can get through to you ✌️
Do I need to educate you on the difference between MCU1 and MCU2 now? This is your final lesson into how chips work. But now I completely understand why you think the AMD chip is more “future proof” and why you are scared about it.

MCU1 was based on Nvidias Tegra 3 processor while MCU2 in an Intel Atom Series CPU. From a technical standpoint, these are two entirely different architectures (Google it if that goes over your head). The software update that introduced games and steaming to MCU2 was completely incompatible with MCU1.

The AMD Ryzen and Intel Atom are based on the same chip architecture and whatever potential software changes Tesla makes will always be completely compatible with the Ryzen chip. The “performance” of which might debatable but the situation could’nt be any more different than The change from MCU1 to MCU2.

• Funny
Reactions: DVM3P
The architecture is meaningless. Compilers can compile for multiple architectures. The reason MCU1 didn’t get those newer features and games is because it was simply too slow.

As @DVM3P states, it’s pretty obvious you only have a very superficial understanding of computers and tech.

To me, since the price is the same either way, I'd prefer to get one with the lithium ion battery & newer of the old chips. I don't care if it's only barely faster. Now, if there was a $1500 price difference, that's a different story. If at the end of the day it only saves me not having to replace the 12v battery once or twice, I'd consider that worth it.

To me, since the price is the same either way, I'd prefer to get one with the lithium ion battery & newer of the old chips. I don't care if it's only barely faster. Now, if there was a $1500 price difference, that's a different story. If at the end of the day it only saves me not having to replace the 12v battery once or twice, I'd consider that worth it.
The 12v dying has also left a lot of people stranded or unable to drive for a period of time. Lithium ion is a great improvement

I agree, for those who are not in a hurry it makes sense to wait for the new chip and new 12V battery. It is a personal choice and everybody has a different situation.

I mean this is the most logical take. I'm paying $50k for a car, I'd prefer the best current offering since theres literally no monetary difference, and I would just have to potentially wait a few weeks or month? Like why would I pay the same price for something worse, even if marginally so?

I received an email today from Tesla saying I have to unlock my order by Jan 27th. It was saying order on hold until March before. My order goes all the way back to August 2021. Since the price has gone up either 2K to 3k since placing my order, I have to decide if the upgrades are worth canceling this order and buy the same car at a higher price. I wonder if I unlock my order on Jan 27th how long will it take to get my M3. I would hope awhile since I would really like to have the upgrades.

I received an email today from Tesla saying I have to unlock my order by Jan 27th. It was saying order on hold until March before. My order goes all the way back to August 2021. Since the price has gone up either 2K to 3k since placing my order, I have to decide if the upgrades are worth canceling this order and buy the same car at a higher price. I wonder if I unlock my order on Jan 27th how long will it take to get my M3. I would hope awhile since I would really like to have the upgrades.

Well I think the cars built this week forward should have the upgrades so unless you get unlucky and get assigned an older car that was built and rejected by multiple people in line you should get the new hardware. The question is how long will you have to wait for a car when you come off hold on 1/27.

You could unlock close to Jan 27 to increase your chances. What is your configuration?

Well I think the cars built this week forward should have the upgrades so unless you get unlucky and get assigned an older car that was built and rejected by multiple people in line you should get the new hardware. The question is how long will you have to wait for a car when you come off hold on 1/27.
Hi,
just curious, what is the source that confirmed that the car built this week will have the new upgrades?

Thanks for the clarification, makes perfect sense.
How's that, the day after i talk about AB being available for the new 82kwh batteries, it's now available:

1642758761121.png

Reactions: tm1v2 and T4M3