Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model3Tracker.info

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh no. AWD Model 3 not available at launch. This will change the forecast deliveries. People waiting for the "D" will be delayed a few months. Non-D will get their Model 3 a little earlier
Yea and that's a lot of existing owners/first time owners going to be waiting based on the stats. Only ~ 22% of existing owners and ~ 29% of first time owners want the RWD (~28.5% overall).

Existing Owners:
upload_2017-3-25_11-58-30.png

First Time Owners:
upload_2017-3-25_11-58-56.png

Overall
upload_2017-3-25_12-4-28.png

• Informative
Reactions: Doug Martoccia
Reactions: DR61
It's typical. One can hear the front motor because of its proximity to the driver. It is pretty well documented in the Model S threads.
I actually like the electric motor whine from the front, and I really much prefer AWD vs RWD in PacNW ;)

Turning off range mode makes it at lot quieter for general commuting speeds 25-50 as front motor is used sparingly. Front motor is used for freeway speeds when cruising, though wind noise overrides front motor noise imo at >60mph.

Here's some experiments showing this behavior I did a while ago now:

Range mode OFF, note rear motor torque vs front motor torque on right access (-ve represents regen)
IMG_0240.PNG

Range mode ON, exactly same piece of road, note front motor torque his time
IMG_0241.PNG

And on freeway cruising. Note front motor is primary, though if/when sudden change in acceleration required the rear motor supplements:
IMG_0242.PNG

I actually like the electric motor whine from the front, and I really much prefer AWD vs RWD in PacNW ;)

Turning off range mode makes it at lot quieter for general commuting speeds 25-50 as front motor is used sparingly. Front motor is used for freeway speeds when cruising, though wind noise overrides front motor noise imo at >60mph.
No question you can adjust the additional noise on an AWD, and a select few may like it. My point wasn't to compare the two, just to point out that RWD Teslas are significantly quieter than AWD. That's regardless of how you approach range mode. Going back and forth between my cars reminds me of this difference regularly.

AWD has a lot of benefits and I'm not discounting any of those. But one RWD benefit is the relative silence, which is worth keeping in customers' minds when deciding.

do you feel that your dual motor volume is typical or an anomaly?

It's typical. One can hear the front motor because of its proximity to the driver. It is pretty well documented in the Model S threads.
I rarely notice (I blame the 11 setting on the stereo), but yes there is some joyful/blissful electric motoring sound going on.

No question you can adjust the additional noise on an AWD, and a select few may like it. My point wasn't to compare the two, just to point out that RWD Teslas are significantly quieter than AWD. That's regardless of how you approach range mode. Going back and forth between my cars reminds me of this difference regularly.

AWD has a lot of benefits and I'm not discounting any of those. But one RWD benefit is the relative silence, which is worth keeping in customers' minds when deciding.

Fair enough, will definitely be quieter yes. Will be interesting to hear how much quieter, or not, S v 3 is. Still sad that AWD isn't first.

Yes, but through all that I had completely forgotten about Model3Tracker (no offense). Just thought a new thread reminding people about it was a good idea. Have you noticed people updating over the weekend?
There's been some activity. I'm able to see how many people switch options. I'll report back in a week. I think posting activity via this thread is most appropriate. I can see the TMC referrals as a result. :D

Reactions: Sonny Daze
I was planning to order AWD - I know we get next to no snow here on the south island, but I told my husband I "need it for all the rain we get" ;) That said, it's pretty tempting to just go with RWD, especially since Troy's estimator says I'd get it in Feb 2018, versus Aug 2018 for AWD. Decisions, decisions...

I'm planning to switch to RWD. I would rather have the car as quickly as possible than wait several months for something of little significant utility to me. I very rarely encounter conditions where AWD is a must-have, and neither of my current cars are AWD. (I have had an AWD Subaru in the past.) I was mainly getting it for 'what if' traction scenarios, the small increase in range, and the piece of mind of having redundant drive systems.

Reactions: Falkirk
I updated my tracker ....begrudgingly.

I am in the give me delivery over dual-motors camp. I will likely regret it once I see the first "D" badge roll by but until then at least I will be in mine. Sooner please and thank you.

Reactions: DR61