Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model3Tracker.info

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, @Paul Carter. I was checking the RWD/AWD numbers on this page and noticed an interesting detail. These are the current numbers:
RWD= 2938 people, AWD= 5966 people. 33.0% want RWD

These are the numbers on 26 March 2017, based on your screenshot here.
RWD= 1920 people. AWD= 4824 people. 28.5% want RWD

The reason I picked the 26 March 2017 screenshot is because that's the closest I could find to Elon's Tweets on 24 March 2017 when he said they will start with RWD only and AWD will be available in 6-9 months (source).

Looking at these percentages, one might think that RWD became 4.5% more popular after Elon's tweets. However, I don't think most people who filled out the survey before 24 March 2017, came back after 24 March to update their survey data. Therefore it makes sense to look only at numbers submitted after 24 March 2017 or to be more precise after 26 March 2017 because that's the date of the screenshot. To do that, I'm subtracting the 26 March 2017 numbers from current numbers.

RWD/AWD preference after 26 March 2017:
RWD: 2938-1920= 1018 people. AWD: 5966-4824= 1142 people. 47.1% want RWD.

Now, things look very different. 47% of people who filled out the survey after Elon's tweet said they want RWD. However, I can't help but wonder how the North America numbers have changed instead of the global numbers because Europe production is likely to start after AWD anyway. Therefore there is no reason for European buyers to switch to RWD. That means survey participants from outside the USA might be lowering the RWD percentage. RWD should be more popular than 47% in North America after 24 March 2017. Do you know what the RWD/AWD numbers looked like for North America on 24 March 2017? Thanks

Hi, @Paul Carter. I was checking the RWD/AWD numbers on this page and noticed an interesting detail. These are the current numbers:
RWD= 2938 people, AWD= 5966 people. 33.0% want RWD

These are the numbers on 26 March 2017, based on your screenshot here.
RWD= 1920 people. AWD= 4824 people. 28.5% want RWD

The reason I picked the 26 March 2017 screenshot is because that's the closest I could find to Elon's Tweets on 24 March 2017 when he said they will start with RWD only and AWD will be available in 6-9 months (source).

Looking at these percentages, one might think that RWD became 4.5% more popular after Elon's tweets. However, I don't think most people who filled out the survey before 24 March 2017, came back after 24 March to update their survey data. Therefore it makes sense to look only at numbers submitted after 24 March 2017 or to be more precise after 26 March 2017 because that's the date of the screenshot. To do that, I'm subtracting the 26 March 2017 numbers from current numbers.

RWD/AWD preference after 26 March 2017:
RWD: 2938-1920= 1018 people. AWD: 5966-4824= 1142 people. 47.1% want RWD.

Now, things look very different. 47% of people who filled out the survey after Elon's tweet said they want RWD. However, I can't help but wonder how the North America numbers have changed instead of the global numbers because Europe production is likely to start after AWD anyway. Therefore there is no reason for European buyers to switch to RWD. That means survey participants from outside the USA might be lowering the RWD percentage. RWD should be more popular than 47% in North America after 24 March 2017. Do you know what the RWD/AWD numbers looked like for North America on 24 March 2017? Thanks
Yes. Here's a chart of the drive distribution before the tweet and the same from my last report.
upload_2017-7-10_6-41-27.png

Since the tweet a total of 256 contributors came back and changed to RWD. Here is the drive distribution on contributions since the tweet.
upload_2017-7-10_6-49-6.png

I also would expect the dual and P may be skewed high because: 1) its easy to pick it when you don't have to commit $ and 2) most people who would take the time to enter their info are enthusiasts that are more likely to go for more expensive options than the guy that put a deposit in and hasn't thought much about it since then or until they get the invite to configure from Tesla.

Reactions: e-FTW and Model 3
Hi, again @Paul Carter. Can you help me understand these numbers?

The blue numbers are what I have just read from the report page here. The yellow numbers are from the third chart in your last message above. If I subtract yellow from blue numbers, I get the orange numbers which should show the count before 24 March. But the March 26, 2017 screenshot here shows 1920 RWD and 4824 AWD. The AWD number almost exactly matches but the RWD number is 401 units off. Do you know why? Is this because of people who have changed their selections?

In your last message, does the third chart include the 256 people who came back to change their data or does it show only new submissions? Thanks

r3uF2oy.gif

Last edited:
Hi, again @Paul Carter. Can you help me understand these numbers?

The blue numbers are what I have just read from the report page here. The yellow numbers are from the third chart in your last message above. If I subtract yellow from blue numbers, I get the orange numbers which should show the count before 24 March. But the March 26, 2017 screenshot here shows 1920 RWD and 4824 AWD. The AWD number almost exactly matches but the RWD number is 401 units off. Do you know why? Is this because of people who have changed their selections?

In your last message, does the third chart include the 256 people who came back to change their data or does it show only new submissions? Thanks

r3uF2oy.gif
Its likely because more people changed their selection. The 3rd chart does include those 256 I've identified. And today's count is more than that as there's more records in the tracker now too (changes + RWD as first selection).

Pricing for options is out... Should we expect an update to the site on Saturday?

yeah, no pressure @Paul Carter - but we would all love to get in and update our info on your site :D
Thanks. I've been out of the loop slightly due to a few major birthday celebrations for my family and friends. Will be out again today, but will try and catch up late tonight and make some changes to reflect the latest news.

Here is the new Config Pop Report based on the options now known. If you chose an option that's no longer available, it was defaulted back to undecided/not yet chosen. Let me know if I've missed anything or messed something up.

-- Updated (incorrect Paint, removed Obsidian Black, added Silver)

Model 3 Tracker - Battery Drive Drive Train Paint.png

Model 3 Tracker -Wheels PUP AP.png

Last edited: