Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Modern Spare for Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So largely the same as what an insurance provider would offer or standard AAA service. That's good to know and what I thought the service offered. This likely would cover most people in their standard travels. If you plan to hit a national park or remote areas in some states it might be worth carrying a Modern Spare, otherwise you probably can rely on the roadside assistance.
Well, the point is, you probably wouldn't know if they are bringing you a spare until you call. And at that point, if they aren't you're screwed. And if they are, it could be two hours. I don't mind extending my road trips for charging stops, but sitting awaiting a tire or tow - and then potentially having to figure out transportation - is just a no-go for me. I think I'm going to get the spare.

Reactions: GeezerSquid
Well, the point is, you probably wouldn't know if they are bringing you a spare until you call. And at that point, if they aren't you're screwed. And if they are, it could be two hours. I don't mind extending my road trips for charging stops, but sitting awaiting a tire or tow - and then potentially having to figure out transportation - is just a no-go for me. I think I'm going to get the spare.

Right, but basically no different from most cars. A lot of cars being sold today don't seem to have a spare.

To be specific :
Flat Tire In some markets, our trained tow providers carry a limited number of loaner wheels to quickly exchange for the damaged wheel. A new tire will be mounted on your original wheel, at your cost, and made available at your nearest service center. Please make arrangements with your service center for this service. Pricing and availability is subject to change per location. Loaner wheels must be returned to the service center within three days and will be exchanged for your original wheel. For flat tires, if a loaner wheel is not available, transportation services are free of charge to the nearest Tesla Service Center within 50 miles (80 km) of the vehicle location. You are responsible for transportation costs beyond this distance or from such locations to any additional location.

The above is from the NA PDF
Search "where does Tesla roadside assistance not cover"
You will see several PDFs and some stories.

• Helpful
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
To be specific :
Flat Tire In some markets, our trained tow providers carry a limited number of loaner wheels to quickly exchange for the damaged wheel. A new tire will be mounted on your original wheel, at your cost, and made available at your nearest service center. Please make arrangements with your service center for this service. Pricing and availability is subject to change per location. Loaner wheels must be returned to the service center within three days and will be exchanged for your original wheel. For flat tires, if a loaner wheel is not available, transportation services are free of charge to the nearest Tesla Service Center within 50 miles (80 km) of the vehicle location. You are responsible for transportation costs beyond this distance or from such locations to any additional location.

The above is from the NA PDF
Search "where does Tesla roadside assistance not cover"
You will see several PDFs and some stories.

From Tesla’s site...

“NOTE: The following regions are excluded from roadside assistance coverage: Outermost regions of the EU (French Guiana, Guadeloupe, Martinique, Mayotte, Reunion Island and Saint-Martin, Azores and Madeira, and the Canary Islands), territories of European countries located overseas, Ceuta, Melilla, and countries that do not have a Tesla Store or Tesla Service Center.”

I think you’ll be fine ;)

Just for a point of comparison (NOT knocking anyone who buys a spare kit, etc). The cost of the modern spare would pay. for several years of AAA. Further, I have an AMEX platinum which mostly negates paying for AAA.

My wife and child have free gold cards which provide basic roadside services too.

The conundrum b/t waiting for Tesla/AAA/Amex vs carrying a spare I cant reconcile. Just wanted to contribute.
I can think of places I could/would go (in the Adirondacks for exa) that have no cell service. Thinking about ordering for use on such road trips.

Reactions: GeezerSquid
So largely the same as what an insurance provider would offer or standard AAA service. That's good to know and what I thought the service offered. This likely would cover most people in their standard travels. If you plan to hit a national park or remote areas in some states it might be worth carrying a Modern Spare, otherwise you probably can rely on the roadside assistance.
Today called roadside assistance from our Midwest city of 50,000 people, in view of Interstate 90. They contracted with a local tow service who took our Model Y to Goodyear, which did not have a tire in stock that would fit, and anticipates one will not come in for 2 to 4 days. Luckily we are in our hometown and can make do, but can imagine would be more difficult on a trip.

Today called roadside assistance from our Midwest city of 50,000 people, in view of Interstate 90. They contracted with a local tow service who took our Model Y to Goodyear, which did not have a tire in stock that would fit, and anticipates one will not come in for 2 to 4 days. Luckily we are in our hometown and can make do, but can imagine would be more difficult on a trip.
I would call around while waiting for the tow. I’m not sure how readily they are about towing to a different place, but if distance is roughly the same I would assume they would take you there. You basically always have to do everyone’s job did them if you want the best service.

I bought the "modern spare" kit for the Model Y for a trip into a remote region -- and I had a flat. My review is kind of mixed.

I'll start with the biggest positive aspect of having a spare vs my understanding of what would have happened without:
* I took around an hour to change tires (will explain why it took so long below)
* then I drove 1.5hr to the nearest town where I could get a replacement
* everything was closed so I got a hotel
* the next day I made a dozen phone calls to find a shop with (approximately) the right size
So it wasn't exactly fast to get back on the road, but if I had been dealing with tesla roadside I believe the situation would have been:
* walk/hitch until I can get phone service
* wait for their tow truck
* they would tow me ~50 miles for free and I would have paid for another 30ish miles out of pocket
* they would have dropped me off at some tire shop, but I wouldn't have had easy access to a hotel and the shop might not have the size I need

So I think having the spare gave me easier access to hotel, food, and getting to the one shop in the area with approximately the right size tire.

The biggest failure for the modern spare kit is the included jack. The metal bent and it collapsed. It took two helpful passers by who loaned me their jacks and quite a bit of digging and elbow grease to get the car back up after the collapse. I'm very dissatisfied with the quality of the modern spare jack.

My other thought about the kit is that the spare is already quite large, enough so that I'm not convinced the space savings vs carrying a full blown 255mm wide replacement tire is any worse than carrying the "small" 145mm wide spare. The whole process of driving to a nearby town (when all the tire shops were already closed) and finding a shop that even had a replacement of the right size was very slow. If I carried a true full size spare I wouldn't had to go into town at all and would have saved nearly a day of time spent dealing with the replacement.

I could be wrong, but if I can pack my travel gear around the spare then I can probably tighten things up and pack around a full 255mm replacement. In fact for the rest of the trip I did carry the original 255mm tire in the car because discount tire wants to see the original to reimburse me since I had their insurance on the failed tire. (The way their insurance works when you're outside any area where you could reasonably reach one of their shops is they let you go to any shop and they reimburse you for the replacement).

I bought the "modern spare" kit for the Model Y for a trip into a remote region -- and I had a flat. My review is kind of mixed.

I'll start with the biggest positive aspect of having a spare vs my understanding of what would have happened without:
* I took around an hour to change tires (will explain why it took so long below)
* then I drove 1.5hr to the nearest town where I could get a replacement
* everything was closed so I got a hotel
* the next day I made a dozen phone calls to find a shop with (approximately) the right size
So it wasn't exactly fast to get back on the road, but if I had been dealing with tesla roadside I believe the situation would have been:
* walk/hitch until I can get phone service
* wait for their tow truck
* they would tow me ~50 miles for free and I would have paid for another 30ish miles out of pocket
* they would have dropped me off at some tire shop, but I wouldn't have had easy access to a hotel and the shop might not have the size I need

So I think having the spare gave me easier access to hotel, food, and getting to the one shop in the area with approximately the right size tire.

The biggest failure for the modern spare kit is the included jack. The metal bent and it collapsed. It took two helpful passers by who loaned me their jacks and quite a bit of digging and elbow grease to get the car back up after the collapse. I'm very dissatisfied with the quality of the modern spare jack.

My other thought about the kit is that the spare is already quite large, enough so that I'm not convinced the space savings vs carrying a full blown 255mm wide replacement tire is any worse than carrying the "small" 145mm wide spare. The whole process of driving to a nearby town (when all the tire shops were already closed) and finding a shop that even had a replacement of the right size was very slow. If I carried a true full size spare I wouldn't had to go into town at all and would have saved nearly a day of time spent dealing with the replacement.

I could be wrong, but if I can pack my travel gear around the spare then I can probably tighten things up and pack around a full 255mm replacement. In fact for the rest of the trip I did carry the original 255mm tire in the car because discount tire wants to see the original to reimburse me since I had their insurance on the failed tire. (The way their insurance works when you're outside any area where you could reasonably reach one of their shops is they let you go to any shop and they reimburse you for the replacement).
Did your tire pick up a nail or similar object? Did you have a plug kit and compressor with you too?

Reactions: mswlogo and AquaY