Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Monthly subscription to FSD - what version do you get

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My free 3 month trial to FSD is about to expire and I am wondering if I purchase a month trial will I get the new version 12 or version 11 that I currently have. I want to try version 12 but have no interest in continuing version 11. Anybody know??
To answer your question, if you subscribe to FSD today, then you will immediately have access to 11.4.9. Almost certainly your car is on 2024.2.x software version. That version will stay on FSD 11.x until Tesla releases FSD 12.x on a later software build than what you have. This will probably take longer than a one month subscription.

The safest route is to wait for FSD 12.x to be included in a software build that gets installed on your car before subscribing. It is not known when this might occur, but Telsa does seem to be anxious to get 12.x out to everyone as quickly as possible. But, since unexpected issues may delay this, I would wait until it is on your car and just needs to be enabled through a subscription.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: KerryOH and JB47394
Do not rush into v12, there is a big gotcha with it, you loose TACC:
Don't Rush????? I and a 1000s others on this site ARE "Rushing" into v12 and are sitting on our hands with 11.4.9. :( There is only a super small percentage (probably 1% to 2%) of FSD Beta users who got v12.

If the OP is on 23.44.x and stays on it by staying subscribed to FSD there is a tiny chance they might get v12 on the next update.

If the OP is on 24.x.x software there is a 0% chance of getting v12 even on the next few updates.

• Funny
Reactions: ucmndd
Just for those not up on the components, TACC is what controls the speed of the car and can be used by itself. It is automatically engaged anytime we use Autosteer / FSD. The change in v12 is that we will not be able to use TACC without also using FSD.
It is a separate (legacy) software stack for FSD Beta v11.x and v12 is a (kinda oddly) separate software stack from v11. I have TACC shut off and use one stalk pull to activate FSD Beta. So TACC is not active when you are using FSD Beta.

It is a separate (legacy) software stack for FSD Beta v11.x and v12 is a (kinda oddly) separate software stack from v11. I have TACC shut off and use one stalk pull to activate FSD Beta. So TACC is not active when you are using FSD Beta.

I suggest you are confusing what merged stack means. The merged stack combined on- and off-highway legacy stacks. Within the stack are still discrete functions, which include TACC, Steering and Navigation. You will note on the menu screen you can select to limit the car to TACC only, or Autosteer only (which include TACC), or go for the full FSD which includes the prior two. Even with FSD chosen you can drive the car using only TACC, or TACC + Steering, or TACC + Steering + Nav

By choosing the one pull option you are in fact activating TACC and FSD at the same time and cannot enable TACC by itself. When you choose the two pull method you get to enable TACC first then FSD.

Reactions: myThappy
My free 3 month trial to FSD is about to expire and I am wondering if I purchase a month trial will I get the new version 12 or version 11 that I currently have. I want to try version 12 but have no interest in continuing version 11. Anybody know??
All right. Let me make it succinct:

1. During most of its life, FSD has been relegated to a Main Load (like, 2023.x.x) that gets updates to the Newest And Best FSD Ever; in the meantime, the rest of the population who've not been running FSD are running a Main Load that has the Latest and Greatest Creature Features. As an example, take my household:
    1. The SO has a Model Y that is not running FSD and has just been updated to 2024.2.7. As compared to the previous load that car was running, it now has:
      • Minor Fixes. (Bug fixes, presumably.)
      • Supercharging In Cold Weather improvements: When navigating to a SuperCharger, it defrosts the charge port.
      • Better estimate of range, using any detected battery degradation as a factor.
      • Reminder to plug in at home if one is at home and has less than 50% charge.
    2. I've got a M3 running FSD. I'm currently on 2023.44.30.8 with FSD 11.4.9. And have been jealously watching the SO's MY get, what, three updates since last year when my car's been waiting for FSD 12.x.
  2. The general idea is that the general population and the people running FSD (also known as, "FSD Beta Testers) only get the same major load (that 2023.x.x or 2024.y.y) two or three times a year. This happened, last, in December of 2023. So, we FSD-Beta testers are often sad because everybody else is getting the shiny new improvements. On the other hand, we get a car that, usually, can navigate around while we (kidding) hang on for dear life.
  3. It used to be that, if somebody wanted FSD and paid up for it, the car didn't have FSD on it and would have to wait for a Major Load with FSD to show up, and said major load would have to have a load number bigger than what was on the car. So, making up a random example, say, that it was March of 2023. The FSD people were on a 2022.12.N.M load where N and M were getting incremented as newer and different versions of FSD 10 or 11 were bopping along. The general population was on 2023.3.Something; somebody in the general population would up and pay for FSD - and then would have to wait for the main loads with FSD got to a bigger number than 2023.3.something before they got FSD. This was somewhat nasty since, if the person who paid for FSD accepted a new-and-shiny-feature-update the wouldn't get FSD, because the new main load the user had would be bigger than whatever the FSD people were running. You get the idea.
  4. The Big Change was that, I think in the 3rd Quarter of 2023, Tesla started shipping FSD with every load, something they've continued to do until the present. Currently, all the main loads have 11.4.9, so, if you pay up, you keep 11.4.9.
The big question is: What's your Main Load number, the load number that's at the bottom of the app? If it's 2024.something, you'll be stuck on 11.4.9 for some unknown period of time, until Tesla syncs up the two load lines. If you're on 2023.44.something, then, at this moment, you're waiting for the general release of 12.x, just like the rest of us.

By the way: With 11.4.9, there's three buttons on the Driving tab. With just the left most one turned on, that's TACC and LK, otherwise known as Basic Autopilot. The next one to the right is for EAP, which (at minimum) allows one to get auto lane changes on highways. And the right most one is for FSD, which gets one city streets. @ATPMSD's complaint is, I think, mainly oriented towards that first button; which means that (temporarily) downgrading to Basic Autopilot won't work. But, one has the EAP/FSD functions, which do the same, or better thing. Wouldn't sweat it.

Reactions: Raisin45567
I suggest you are confusing what merged stack means. The merged stack combined on- and off-highway legacy stacks. Within the stack are still discrete functions, which include TACC, Steering and Navigation. You will note on the menu screen you can select to limit the car to TACC only, or Autosteer only (which include TACC), or go for the full FSD which includes the prior two. Even with FSD chosen you can drive the car using only TACC, or TACC + Steering, or TACC + Steering + Nav

By choosing the one pull option you are in fact activating TACC and FSD at the same time and cannot enable TACC by itself. When you choose the two pull method you get to enable TACC first then FSD.
TACC is a subset of the AP/NoA (Autosteer) stack (not FSD Beta) and experiences the same phantom braking and speed up/down behaviors as AP/NoA stack that are different than FSD the Beta stack. In the first 2 selections you are enabling ONLY the legacy AP/NoA stack. If you select FSD Beta then this adds the FSD Beta stack.

Thanks for all the replies! My head is spinning right now trying to decipher them all.

My APP says 2023.44.30.8 (that update was hung up for seven weeks - after two days at the service center last week they got that fixed)
Car display shows V11.1 (2023.44.30.8) FSD V11.4.9 NAV data 2023.44.14828 and it says my software is up-to-date as of Feb 25 12:12pm.
Based on what I understand from the replies I am waiting on version 12 and not stuck with version 11.

Based on my experience with FSD 11.4.9 it works great at times but has a lot of brain farts and does stupid stuff. The other day on way back from the service center, had the route in and was using FSD. A right-hand off-ramp was coming up and car was in right lane (as it should have been). The main road and off-ramp speeds are both 45 mph and it's about a 30° turn off the main road. About 100 yards from the ramp going 45 mph the car signaled and started a lane change to the LEFT lane??? I deactivated FSD since I had traffic behind me. If it was going to then take the off-ramp from the left lane, crossing the right lane that it was already in??? it would have been exciting (and an illegal lane change). Totally stupid.

Also it insists on wanting to drive in the left lane of a 4 way divided highway (and not when passing slower cars). That's now illegal in Florida and a lot of other states unless you are passing other cars or turning left. I bet it tried to move to the left lane 10 times on the way home from the service center. Even though you can cancel the change with the turn signal stalk, the guy behind you probably thinks you are drunk since you keep signaling to change lanes and then don't.

I use TACC a lot (basically like adaptive cruise control in our Grand Cherokee L) but FSD 11.4.9 not so often. TACC is nice when it works but I ride with my foot over the accelerator because the phantom braking is dangerous if you ask me. People think you are brake checking them when it's just the car thinking it is seeing something that's not there. I'm not convinced that TACC via cameras will ever work well. Mine brakes for shadows, sometimes for nothing visible at all, and cars that cross in front of me WAY TOO FAR AWAY to be any collision risk UNLESS they are also using FSD or TACC and they phantom brake half way across the road :rolleyes:. I'm glad I didn't pay 12K to 15K years ago and still only have what FSD 11 does. I can't imagine that.

My APP says 2023.44.30.8 (that update was hung up for seven weeks - after two days at the service center last week they got that fixed)
Car display shows V11.1 (2023.44.30.8) FSD V11.4.9 NAV data 2023.44.14828 and it says my software is up-to-date as of Feb 25 12:12pm.
Based on what I understand from the replies I am waiting on version 12 and not stuck with version 11.
You are correct. From everything that we have seen, so long as you keep your FSD subscription current, your car will get v12 as soon as it wins the rollout lottery.

Reactions: Duke846
Based on what I understand from the replies I am waiting on version 12 and not stuck with version 11......
Just a quickie on the software. You have 4 different software versions. Also they read as 2023[year].44[week].9[bug fixes or version of week release].x[bug fixes]

• v11.1 [This is the UI (user interface) version and we have been on this version for a couple of years]
  • NAV Data file 23.44.x [Map and navigation data aka: route planning and updates about every 9 months]
  • 23.44.30.8 [Your car's Firmware (or Software) version]
  • FSD v11.4.9 [the FSD Beta version and is always contained in a version of your car's Firmware]

Kinda semantics but you (and most including me) ARE stuck on v11 until Tesla at least rolls out v12 to a wider field of testers. Even then we are likely still waiting. As stated you must be on an older (last year 2023.x.x) version Software which you are. If you aren't subscribed to FSD Beta you may run the risk of getting a 2024.x.x update which would push you ahead of v12. If you get 24.x.x downloaded best not to install and probably should subscribe to FSD Beta to "prove" you are interested in v12.

The problem with Tesla is every time we figure out "the rules of the game" Tesla is following (on anything) they change the rules or start a new game. So with Tesla it is always a crape shot.

Reactions: Tronguy and ATPMSD
To answer your question, if you subscribe to FSD today, then you will immediately have access to 11.4.9. Almost certainly your car is on 2024.2.x software version. That version will stay on FSD 11.x until Tesla releases FSD 12.x on a later software build than what you have. This will probably take longer than a one month subscription.

The safest route is to wait for FSD 12.x to be included in a software build that gets installed on your car before subscribing. It is not known when this might occur, but Telsa does seem to be anxious to get 12.x out to everyone as quickly as possible. But, since unexpected issues may delay this, I would wait until it is on your car and just needs to be enabled through a subscription.
Did you not get the memo? Two weeks.

All right. Let me make it succinct:

1. During most of its life, FSD has been relegated to a Main Load (like, 2023.x.x) that gets updates to the Newest And Best FSD Ever; in the meantime, the rest of the population who've not been running FSD are running a Main Load that has the Latest and Greatest Creature Features. As an example, take my household:
    1. The SO has a Model Y that is not running FSD and has just been updated to 2024.2.7. As compared to the previous load that car was running, it now has:
      • Minor Fixes. (Bug fixes, presumably.)
      • Supercharging In Cold Weather improvements: When navigating to a SuperCharger, it defrosts the charge port.
      • Better estimate of range, using any detected battery degradation as a factor.
      • Reminder to plug in at home if one is at home and has less than 50% charge.
    2. I've got a M3 running FSD. I'm currently on 2023.44.30.8 with FSD 11.4.9. And have been jealously watching the SO's MY get, what, three updates since last year when my car's been waiting for FSD 12.x.
  2. The general idea is that the general population and the people running FSD (also known as, "FSD Beta Testers) only get the same major load (that 2023.x.x or 2024.y.y) two or three times a year. This happened, last, in December of 2023. So, we FSD-Beta testers are often sad because everybody else is getting the shiny new improvements. On the other hand, we get a car that, usually, can navigate around while we (kidding) hang on for dear life.
  3. It used to be that, if somebody wanted FSD and paid up for it, the car didn't have FSD on it and would have to wait for a Major Load with FSD to show up, and said major load would have to have a load number bigger than what was on the car. So, making up a random example, say, that it was March of 2023. The FSD people were on a 2022.12.N.M load where N and M were getting incremented as newer and different versions of FSD 10 or 11 were bopping along. The general population was on 2023.3.Something; somebody in the general population would up and pay for FSD - and then would have to wait for the main loads with FSD got to a bigger number than 2023.3.something before they got FSD. This was somewhat nasty since, if the person who paid for FSD accepted a new-and-shiny-feature-update the wouldn't get FSD, because the new main load the user had would be bigger than whatever the FSD people were running. You get the idea.
  4. The Big Change was that, I think in the 3rd Quarter of 2023, Tesla started shipping FSD with every load, something they've continued to do until the present. Currently, all the main loads have 11.4.9, so, if you pay up, you keep 11.4.9.
The big question is: What's your Main Load number, the load number that's at the bottom of the app? If it's 2024.something, you'll be stuck on 11.4.9 for some unknown period of time, until Tesla syncs up the two load lines. If you're on 2023.44.something, then, at this moment, you're waiting for the general release of 12.x, just like the rest of us.

By the way: With 11.4.9, there's three buttons on the Driving tab. With just the left most one turned on, that's TACC and LK, otherwise known as Basic Autopilot. The next one to the right is for EAP, which (at minimum) allows one to get auto lane changes on highways. And the right most one is for FSD, which gets one city streets. @ATPMSD's complaint is, I think, mainly oriented towards that first button; which means that (temporarily) downgrading to Basic Autopilot won't work. But, one has the EAP/FSD functions, which do the same, or better thing. Wouldn't sweat it.
Succinct: adjective
  1. expressed in few words; concise; terse.
  2. characterized by conciseness or verbal brevity

If you have no interest in continuing version 11, set your expectations for version 12 low. Tesla is not on a path to autonomous driving. It's just a parlor trick.
They are on a path. Where they are on the path is up for debate. Where I live in CO, and using FSD for road trips, its transformed every part of my driving. I enjoy driving but sometimes its a mix of drudgery and excitement. I let FSD drive the drudgery. Driving to the mountains? Driving in town during the day? I'll do it because I don't mind. FSD can take over when I'm tired or I need to be fresh for a meeting.

Definitely no parlor trick.

Reactions: father_of_6