Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Monument Valley Scenic Drive - in a Model S?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm planning to take my family on an American Southwest road trip this summer that will take us through famous Monument Valley, a place I've never been before.

Presuming there is no rain, is it safe to (slowly) drive my Model S on the 17-mile scenic drive in Monument Valley? Looking at the pictures that loop appears to be merely a dusty dirt road that plenty of ordinary passenger cars traverse, but I'm asking if I'm missing something. So far it seems like I'll be fine if set the Suspension to High and stay on the path. Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

I don't know of charging at the View hotel so I didn't consider it. Does it? If so I have time to change my itinerary.

My plan is to use Tesla Destination charging overnight at Moenkopi Legacy Inn in Tuba City, drive 100 miles to Monument Valley, visit, tour the 17 mile loop, have lunch, then 75 miles to the Blanding Utah Supercharger. That margin seems reasonable considering how remote this area is. And I want to go slow to savor the sights anyway.

I made it going the other way two years ago from Blanding to Flagstaff without charging en route. You should be fine. Check EVTripplanner just to be on the safe side.

Okay, then Tuba City - Monument Valley - Blanding should be fine. I'll check that site. Did you drive the 17-mile scenic loop in the valley? I know my S will get dirty, but are there any terrain issues (presuming no rain)?

Dauger-

The campground at the View, which is just down the hill from the motel , has 14-50 hookups. As for the motel, its often booked to capacity in the summer by tour buses. There are often cancellations.
As for the loop road- you might consider doing some investigating. Summer rains create ruts, and its a long way to Tesla service.
But, then again, I only take the Tesla on paved roads. There are several local tour companies on the View home page.

Okay, then Tuba City - Monument Valley - Blanding should be fine. I'll check that site. Did you drive the 17-mile scenic loop in the valley? I know my S will get dirty, but are there any terrain issues (presuming no rain)?

Nope, I did not know of the scenic loop. However, Gouldings Campground has 14-50 RV plugs available for a modest fee with a free shuttle bus to the restaurant. So maybe after your loop you could hook up during the afternoon, grab a bite and get back on the road to Blanding while adding 20-40 miles of range.

I am doing the drive this summer as well. My plan is to drive from Tusayan, AZ on a full charge, stop in Tuba City for an hour or so and get an extra 30 miles at the RV park, then drive along 163 to Blanding to supercharge before heading to Meda Verde National Park.

I do not plan on driving through the 17-mile non-paved road. My biggest fear on this large roadtrip is getting a flat -- so I'll just keep it to the paved portions.

Thanks dauger. I had also seen this write-up. I would love to do the off-road portion of the drive through Monument Valley, but I'm just not willing to take my MS off the paved roads. Not to mention that we're trying to get from Grand Canyon to Mesa Verde in a day. Adding 2-4 hours of driving doesn't seem worth it.

We plan on leaving the Grand Canyon with a full charge, then stopping in Tuba City at the Quality Inn and charging at the RV park for an hour or so while we check out the Navajo Interpretive Museum. This should add about 30 miles of range, getting us to ~200. evtripplanner.com claims ~171 RM to get to Blanding from Tuba City.

I keep a "traveling gnome"-like picture log (see link in my sig) of places I take my S, so I'm tempted, but I suppose I will decide when I get there.

I'm happy to report that I did it! There was a storm that hit two days before my arrival, so when we got there the road was drivable with puffy clouds making a great backdrop against the amazing formations. It was a basic dirt road, no gravel, the sand wasn't too thick, and I mostly just had to avoid or straddle potholes.

westMittenMonumentValley160808D.jpg

I thought it was so cool to drive here. We found horses:

horsebackThunderbirdMesaMonumentValley160808.jpg

It was like I entered a movie about the Old West . . . while driving a 21st-century all-electric car! I love the juxtaposition.

I posted more pictures here:

Tesla Model S - Monument Valley

This was one day of a 2824-mile all-electric road trip.

IMG_0801.JPG
IMG_0815.JPG
I'm happy to report that I did it! There was a storm that hit two days before my arrival, so when we got there the road was drivable with puffy clouds making a great backdrop against the amazing formations. It was a basic dirt road, no gravel, the sand wasn't too thick, and I mostly just had to avoid or straddle potholes.

View attachment 191822

View attachment 191823

It was like I entered a movie about the Old West . . . while driving a 21st-century all-electric car! I love the juxtaposition.

Love those pictures!!! What a great trip with nice weather. About a year ago I was just driving through on the main road with my ICE and took a few crazy snow pictures. I just couldn't get over seeing Monument Valley with a beautiful white dusting of snow!

After driving through Monument Valley, my family had lunch at the restaurant at The View. It looks like a nice place, but it would be so much easier than going down to the RV camp if they had official Tesla charging. So I wrote the attached letter.

ViewHotelDestinationCharging160902.jpg

I'm trying to make a clear business case for them to do it. If I'm asking there's 1000 other Tesla owners after me who could have patronized their business but didn't. I realize now that the $20 entry fee precludes putting a Supercharger at The View, but Destination Charging seems just right. After my car finishes charging overnight, I'd like to wake up to see sunrise in Monument Valley.

I also cc-ed this letter to the Tesla Destination team, telling them I felt there is a hole in both their Supercharger and Destination Charger maps in this region. My guess is the fact that area is the Navajo Nation has something to do with it, such as, simply slower adoption. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems Moenkopi's Tesla chargers are literally the only Tesla chargers inside the Navajo Nation outer boundary. When I check Tesla's map, Tesla's chargers are just around the periphery of the Navajo Reservation boundary, except Moenkopi.

Maybe Tesla is perceived as a high-tech outsider, making the Navajo Nation reluctant to approve any deal with Tesla? Any insight from those of you who live nearby?

P. S. I began researching charging locations in early 2016, so if I saw The View on Tesla's map back then, I'm nearly certain I would have booked it.

Last edited:

View attachment 191822

View attachment 191823

I just did this with my Jeep in August. Easy drive for the Jeep, but don't know if I could bring myself to do it in my MS.

Great pictures.

This is a dusty road and depending on rain or lack of, can be a lot of potholes.

I think there is charging in Monument Valley, but not a Supercharger. You could charge in Page or Farmington depending on which direction you are coming from, then a small charge in Monument Valley to make it back to a Supercharger.

I think many people have done it in their Tesla's, but I took my Jeep. Couldn't do off road in my MS.

Also, I do not recommend the group tour. Out in the open, dusty air. Most people had their mouth/nose covered from the dust. Didn't look like fun to me.

If you want to leave me your Tesla in Phoenix, I might trade you for a Jeep Grand Cherokee to do the mountains.