Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

More anti-ev gibberish

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does the online media outlet TMZ have any reach?

So apparently[SUP]1[/SUP] actress and ‘household name’ Anne Hathaway and/or her significant other got a BMW i3. And this is the angle TMZ chose:

Headline:

ANNE HATHAWAY
CHECK OUT MY NEW
SMUGGY BUGGY

By: TMZ Staff

“Anne Hathaway proved she has more money than you this weekend ... by tooling around in a fancy new electric car common folk in the United States can't even buy yet.

Hathaway and her husband Adam Shulman took a trip to the grocery store Saturday afternoon in their brand new BMW i3 -- a car that won't be available in America till mid-2014.

The car goes for around 42k ... it's been available in Europe since November.

Take that Volt drivers!”
Classic Double bind, Withheld information, Heap blame and Ridicule Master suppression techniques.

Harvey Levin – or whoever is behind that ‘editorial decision’ – is clearly one monumentally clueless douche bag.

Sources:

Anne Hathaway -- Check Out My New Smuggy Buggy | TMZ.com

Master suppression techniques - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[SUP]1[/SUP]Ok, apparently not. See the two posts below…

Last edited:
Why absurd? It appears to be based on actual resale data. The weak link, I think, would be trying to project resale values of a Fiat 500e to that of a Model S.
Absurd because, for example, they are predicting a 5 year old 2013 Leaf that sold for $28.8k (not even factoring in the credit) today will be worth only $3.7k (13% residual).

Right now the 2011 Leaf still starts at $15k+ used and that's already 3 years in. Is it going to drop to a quarter of that in 2 years? I say it seems unlikely.

I agree, but crude pricing has stabilized so far. We are past the point of early adoption and the public are beginning to see EVs en masse. I'd expect in the next decade that EVs will gain significant market share in the auto industry.

I'd say the absolute floor in pricing would be related the cost of buying the components for the DIY market. So a liquid cooled AC motor/inverter, DC/DC converter, battery charger, and 22kWh pack is probably going to cost $20K+ new. I can't imagine a used LEAF or similar selling for much below $10K if the pack is reasonably healthy. For a smaller, less powerful air cooled system with a 11kWh pack I paid around $12K 4 years ago when choices were more limited. A wrecked LEAF or similar would be a comparative steal these days.

I'd say the absolute floor in pricing would be related the cost of buying the components for the DIY market. So a liquid cooled AC motor/inverter, DC/DC converter, battery charger, and 22kWh pack is probably going to cost $20K+ new. I can't imagine a used LEAF or similar selling for much below $10K if the pack is reasonably healthy. For a smaller, less powerful air cooled system with a 11kWh pack I paid around $12K 4 years ago when choices were more limited. A wrecked LEAF or similar would be a comparative steal these days.
One can buy LEAF modules for about $4500-5000 (look on eBay or hybridautocenter.com). BMS, motor, controller, charger will cost about $7k for a decent setup (see evwest.com pricing for kits). So maybe a bit cheaper than $20k for parts today, but still probably at least $15k and that does not count labor or the donor vehicle.

$10k for a used LEAF will be a great deal even after it's down 20-30% capacity if that range is sufficient. Also keep in mind that the 2013 iMiEV will be around $23k before rebates/credits, in some states like Georgia that will put it down around $10k new! Really hard to beat for an economical city car.

It would make sense for EVs to depreciate, because battery tech is improving. The prices for new EVs are being slashed too. I'd like to see a price comparison between a first generation EV and the same model of a few years later, and the same with a gas car.

What functional difference is there between an ICE today and an ICE five years ago?

It would make sense for EVs to depreciate, because battery tech is improving. The prices for new EVs are being slashed too. I'd like to see a price comparison between a first generation EV and the same model of a few years later, and the same with a gas car.

What functional difference is there between an ICE today and an ICE five years ago?

I actually think there's a rather noticeable difference.
You don't need to take your key out of your pocket to unlock your car or start it.
Your car's traction control works much better than it used to.
Your car shifts much faster than it used to.
Your car's adaptive cruise control allows you to not have to set your cruise control, then cancel it, then resume, etc. [missing in Model S]
Your car has a light on your side mirror to warn you that there's a car in your blind spot. [missing in Model S]
If you're not paying attention, your car can actually apply the brakes for you to prevent an accident or make an accident less serious. [missing in Model S]
If you're not paying attention and start to drift out of your lane, your car can warn you. [missing in Model S]

Anyway, I think technology is improving quickly for automobiles and will continue for some time. This is going to cause depreciation for all cars, ICEs and EVs alike.
If you haven't driven a $60k ICE in 5 years, you might be surprised at how much better they are than similarly priced ICEs from 5 years ago.